Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I am back to PagePlus but wow is it slow

Feedback Score

I am back to PagePlus but wow is it slow

Long story short: I was on PP for years and made the mistake of leaving and just made it back.
    I bought a Moto G6 from PP and activated it 2 days ago. I was hoping to use it as my primary internet device and cancel my home internet.

It is barely useable as speeds less than 1Mbps and more like .5 or lower at times. The first thing I noticed was it was Tracfone. Ok I guess Tracfone acquired PagePlus. I was hoping to go back to the old days with PP as Verizon is the only good service in my area.

I ordered a SIM but when the phone came it already had a SIM so I used it.

Is Pageplus using Verizon towers? Any idea why my speeds would be so slow? Is it because it is a Tracfone?

I am soooo dissapointed since I had been wanting to come back for a year and just finally got around to it and bought a new phone to boot!

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TWalker65 View Post
    Long story short: I was on PP for years and made the mistake of leaving and just made it back.
    I bought a Moto G6 from PP and activated it 2 days ago. I was hoping to use it as my primary internet device and cancel my home internet.

It is barely useable as speeds less than 1Mbps and more like .5 or lower at times. The first thing I noticed was it was Tracfone. Ok I guess Tracfone acquired PagePlus. I was hoping to go back to the old days with PP as Verizon is the only good service in my area.

I ordered a SIM but when the phone came it already had a SIM so I used it.

Is Pageplus using Verizon towers? Any idea why my speeds would be so slow? Is it because it is a Tracfone?

I am soooo dissapointed since I had been wanting to come back for a year and just finally got around to it and bought a new phone to boot!

Thanks
    PagePlus and Tracfone both use the Verizon network (assuming that's the network someone chooses with TF). Same towers, same phones, same sims. You can just buy a TF/vzw phone and activate it with PP with the sim that comes in it. Likely just network congestion when you tried it, the area your in, or a phone issue. Is your VoLTE working ok? What carrier and phone did you move from?

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Have you tried a different phone? The Motorola G6 might be the weak link

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There may be other factors at play here.

How are you determining connection speed? Be specific.

Feedback Score
    Yes I am sure you are right about network congestion. I live in a tourist town, it is Christmas and crowds are in town.
    I decided to go back to PP after talking with a local cell phone repair shop owner. He uses it and commented it could be his primary internet when he was in the city but not here because when the tourists come in speeds drop way down.

I just didn't expect it be this bad.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Let me rephrase, is all internet activity slow on the phone or just the hotspot?

Feedback Score
    When the Verizon tower I'm connected to isn't using deprioritization, which affects all VZW prepaid/MVNOs, I get regular Verizon speeds on PP. 32-40 Mbps right now at my house. Of course, there are no tourist destinations in Kansas, so there's that. ;-)

Feedback Score
    Another thought is does your phone have band 13? That is Verizon's main band. If not, your phone may be operating off band 2 or 4. I believe Verizon considers these as back up frequencies. I think they operate slower than Band 13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RGVM View Post
    Another thought is does your phone have band 13? That is Verizon's main band. If not, your phone may be operating off band 2 or 4. I believe Verizon considers these as back up frequencies. I think they operate slower than Band 13.
    Yep, I have noticed weaker signal since Verizon started using mostly B4/66 a couple of years ago in my area. Seldom see B13 anymore, but it is stronger when used.

Feedback Score
    I waited till after Christmas hoping it would speed up. I ran speed tests through the holidays and it never improved.

I am currently about .015Mbps and a 1.5Mbps upload speed with an average daily of below .1 Mbps. Yes that is point one and zero point one five so I am averaging 10 Kbps. Dial up IS 5 times faster than my PP!

The phone is hardly useable except on Wifi. Text messaging is fine and phone calls are laggy.
    What I don't understand is I have what looks to be a good signal about 70% LTE.

I mean I was on AT&T towers before the switch and it was faster and yet ATT is well known to be inferior in my area. Verizon is the only game in town really for full coverage.

I don't get it and regret going back to PP now. From what I remember PP was ok in my area and I am still living in the same place no moves.
    I could buy a $$$signal booster but it looks like I have a good signal and PP is just bricking my Internet by throttling.

I dont know what bands I have on this phone but I bought it from PP so I had assumed it would be good for using on PP.

Thanks for the replies.

Edit: I just took this screenshot
    Name:  Screenshot_20191229-200406.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  30.9 KB

1. I did not answer a couple of you so: I am testing my Internet speed by using online services that test speed such as speedtest.net, speedof.me, testmy.net etc. I usually use a dedicated app but havnt gotten around to installing one on this phone.

2. I have not tried a different phone. That would require a whole new PP account and phone.

3. I am not using hotspot. I don't see the point at these speeds why would I want to run anything off a hotspot?
    Last edited by TWalker65; 12-29-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Feedback Score

The phone is hardly useable except on Wifi. Text messaging is fine and phone calls are laggy.
    What I don't understand is I have what looks to be a good signal about 70% LTE.
    You really need a signal strength app that can give some numbers in dBm. Data speed is very dependent on signal strength. The simple SignalCheck Lite will give you this information, but turn on Location to see the LTE band. You are not being throttled by using Page Plus except for some periodic Verizon prioritizations.

Is this phone using VoLTE (Enhanced 4G LTE Mode)?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I am wondering when the OP was on PagePlus, he was in another part of the prioritization list. Now after reactivating, he as put in a low prioritization list meaning he will get slow speeds more then not.

Feedback Score
    .......................I don't get it and regret going back to PP now. From what I remember PP was ok in my area and I am still living in the same place no moves.

I could buy a $$$signal booster but it looks like I have a good signal and PP is just bricking my Internet by throttling.

2. I have not tried a different phone. That would require a whole new PP account and phone.

3. I am not using hotspot. I don't see the point at these speeds why would I want to run anything off a hotspot?
    When you had PP before were you using a 3G phone ? 3G has a better signal (goes further) in some areas then LTE. You did mention your calls lag too.
    PP is not bricking your phone. PP is Verizon not it's own network. Assuming your phones good and "if" Verizon has a good signal there you wouldn't see any difference with another Vzw MVNO.

You can pick up any cheap TF that has a Vzw sim and activate it on PP with a new number to test.

Are the network settings correct in the phone? That was never mentioned.

I think it's either a bum phone or bad Verizon signal there. Nothing to do with PP. Your mention of laggy calls seems to indicate the Verizon signal there.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    You really need a signal strength app that can give some numbers in dBm. Data speed is very dependent on signal strength. The simple SignalCheck Lite will give you this information, but turn on Location to see the LTE band. You are not being throttled by using Page Plus except for some periodic Verizon prioritizations.

While a really weak lte signal will indeed cause slow speed and drop outs, having a low or marginal signal will still allow service. Question is, to what degree is vzw throttling or deprioritizing PP customers, and, what is the actual lte signal you're getting. Settings/about/status on most phones will show you this too, without any additional apps.

What is enhanced 4g lte mode? You mean lte advanced (carrier aggregation)?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post

Ok I do have a weak signal. I was thrown off by the icon showing signal strength plus the fact that I had assumed wrongly that it was network congestion from all the tourists in town. Now I see:

Name:  Screenshot_20191229-215928.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  42.0 KB

I see no other options than to try increase my reception to the tower by some kind of mechanical means (signal booster) If you have any suggestions I am open to suggestions.

Oh yea loboheeler it has VoLTE but it made no difference whether it was enabled/disabled

Thanks to other responders
    Last edited by TWalker65; 12-30-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast