Thread: Just some clarification please

Device(s)
    iPhone 5 64GB / Nexus 4 / BB Q5
    Carrier(s)
    Fido / Wind / Telus
    Feedback Score

Just some clarification please

With ChatR is it Like public mobile where you get LTE but throttled to 3G speeds, or are you strictly limited to 3G period and no LTE?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QS2k5 View Post
    With ChatR is it Like public mobile where you get LTE but throttled to 3G speeds, or are you strictly limited to 3G period and no LTE?

Thanks.

Chatr is only 3G, and only 3G bands 2 and 5.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
    AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data

Device(s)
    iPhone 5 64GB / Nexus 4 / BB Q5
    Carrier(s)
    Fido / Wind / Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post

Thank you very much.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QS2k5 View Post

Thanks.

And service is worse than 3g on Rogers or Fido.

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    That is the way Chatr was when it first launched. Are we sure it is still? Now that they have a system in place to throttle speeds down to 3 Mbps (or 64 Kbps once you go over your data allotment), why would they keep all Chatr customers congesting just two HSPA bands? If you can throttle HSPA speeds, presumably you can also throttle LTE speeds.
    Asus ROG Phone -- SIM 1: Rogers (10GB + unlimited) -- SIM 2: Public Mobile (talk/text/250 MB)

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Just some clarification please

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    That is the way Chatr was when it first launched. Are we sure it is still? Now that they have a system in place to throttle speeds down to 3 Mbps (or 64 Kbps once you go over your data allotment), why would they keep all Chatr customers congesting just two HSPA bands? If you can throttle HSPA speeds, presumably you can also throttle LTE speeds.
    This is what Chatr says on their website *today*:
    4. Will my phone work with a chatr SIM Card?

Yes, your phone will work with a chatr SIM card if it is an unlocked GSM phone with 850/1900 MHz frequency.
    so only bands 5 and 2.

I was with Chatr for years with an iPhone SE and Samsung Galaxy Note 4 until last year and both phones only ever had 3G, UMTS, or Edge service on bands 5 and 2 in the Greater Toronto Hamilton Niagara Area, Vancouver and Victoria. But both phones on Virgin, TELUS, Koodo and Rogers have LTE service.

Chatr’s throttling of service is not new — they’ve been doing it since at least 2016. Public Mobile and Lucky Mobile throttle LTE, but Chatr throttles 3G unless that changed very recently.

Why doesn’t Rogers, Fido, Chatr, and Zoomer give all their customers VoLTE (and Wi-Fi Calling) to get everyone off of 3G/UMTS/Edge service? I think they should. Rogers and Fido offer it on some phones, while Chatr and Zoomer customers have all their calls over 3G — Voice over LTE is not available.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    Chatr FINALLY moved some of their customers to throttled LTE service. But only if you're a nationwide customer and have an LTE-compatible SIM card. Sigh. So my old Mobilicity to Chatr plan would not qualify for throttled LTE and would still be stuck on only 3G bands 2 and 5.

https://www.chatrwireless.com/web/co.../data_services

LTE enablement

5. I heard chatr is switching its wireless network from 3G to LTE, what does that mean for me?

At chatr, we believe in providing an affordable and predictable wireless service which is why we are moving you to our LTE network. With this change, you will enjoy a reliable and consistent wireless experience with the continued 3G data speeds you expect.
    This update will happen automatically so there will be no disruption to your current service and you can continue to use your wireless device. Once connected, you will see your device network indicator icon switch from 3G to LTE.

Please note in some cases your chatr mobile plan, device or SIM may not be LTE compatible.

6. How can I connect to the chatr LTE Network?

If you have a chatr nation-wide plan, LTE enabled device and SIM you will automatically be moved to the LTE network. With this change, there will be no disruption to your current service. Once moved, you will see your device network indicator switch from 3G to LTE.

7. When will I be moved to the chatr LTE Network?

If you have a chatr nation-wide plan, LTE enabled device and SIM you will automatically be moved to the LTE network. If you do not see this change, please turn on and off your device.

If this problem persists, please contact us.

If you do not have a chatr nation-wide plan or LTE compatible device and/or SIM, we encourage you to switch to one that will work on the LTE network. With this change, you’ll enjoy a reliable and consistent wireless experience with the 3G data speeds you expect.

To change your plan, visit my chatr.

Not sure if your device or SIM is LTE compatible, please contact us.

8. I have a chatr in-zone plan, will I be moving to the LTE Network?

chatr in-zone plans are not supported by the LTE Network.

To take advantage of the LTE network, we encourage you to upgrade to a nation-wide plan; With this upgrade, you’ll enjoy a reliable and consistent wireless experience with the 3G data speeds you expect.

To change your plan, visit my chatr.

9. I have an older device, how can I find out what network it supports?

To see what network your device supports please consult your device manufacture.

If you aren’t sure and would like more information, please contact us.

If you currently don’t have a LTE compatible device, we encourage you to switch to one that will work on the LTE network. With this change, you’ll enjoy a reliable and consistent wireless experience with the 3G data speeds you expect.

10. How can I find out if my SIM is compatible on the LTE Network?
    If you aren’t sure and would like more information, please contact us.

11. What is LTE?

LTE, or "Long Term Evolution“ is superior to previous technologies such as 3G and 4G HSPA+. LTE is built to handle more users doing more complex things and covers 97% of Canadians. With this upgrade, chatr customers will maintain their 3G speeds while enjoying a reliable and consistent wireless experience from the LTE Network.