Thread: Can you activate the PP G6 on another Tracfone MVNO?

Device(s)
    StarTac 7868W
    Feedback Score

Can you activate the PP G6 on another Tracfone MVNO?

My friend and I got the PP G6 phones, and almost immediately decided to get the upgraded 3GB/64GB unlocked versions.

Now we want to sell our PP phones, which are upgraded to Android 9.0 and essentially brand-new.

Do these phone work on PP only, or would they also work on other TracFone providers such as the following?

1. TracFone Wireless
    2. NET10 Wireless
    3. Total Wireless
    4. Safelink Wireless
    5. Straight Talk
    6. SIMPLE Mobile
    7. etc.

Feedback Score
    You will have to transfer the service from the PP G6 to the unlocked G6 to clear the IMEI. Verizon activations require a clean IMEI. Then run the PP G6 IMEI through the compatibility checker of one of the other Tracfone companies.

Although the G6 is GSM capable, it requires a BYOP SIM activation. No IMEI needed. Simple Mobile is only GSM (T-Mobile). Might be iffy with Safelink too.

Feedback Score
    Based on what I was told and checked. On PP if you swap sims the imei/sim auto re-pair after you use the phone the sim was swapped to, and the old phone imei is freed up. I checked this and my imei was auto updated, and when doing a compatibility check on both TF and TW of the old phone it said the old imei is compatible. I don't know if compatible means free to activate or that it wasn't a PP branded phone to start with means anything. PP CSR told me the same. But I never actually tried to activate the old phone.

Device(s)
    StarTac 7868W
    Feedback Score
    Well, transferred to new phones, checked IMEIs, and both were ineligible for anything except for PP.

Gonna try and sell them as PP phones, probably on EBay.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorge Retson View Post
    Well, transferred to new phones, checked IMEIs, and both were ineligible for anything except for PP.

Gonna try and sell them as PP phones, probably on EBay.
    How did you do the transfer ? Did you make a call with the new phone after the transfer ? How long did you wait to check the old imei after the transfer ?

Device(s)
    StarTac 7868W
    Feedback Score
    Moved the sims from the PP G6 to the unlocked G6. What else needs to happen?

Is there a way to get rid of the TracFone software layer?

Feedback Score
    Moved the sims from the PP G6 to the unlocked G6. What else needs to happen?

Is there a way to get rid of the TracFone software layer?
    Did you make calls with the new phone after the move? How long did you wait before checking the old phone imei?
    Did you contact PP, tell them you moved the sim to a new phone and your old imei is not freed up? Or if the move didn't auto update the imei, have them do it ? They tell people to just do sim swaps for new phones to keep the same number and balance, and it frees the old imei; wondering what in the process is missing. Be helpful for us to understand your hiccup. Thanks.

Device(s)
    StarTac 7868W
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Did you make calls with the new phone after the move? How long did you wait before checking the old phone imei?
    Did you contact PP, tell them you moved the sim to a new phone and your old imei is not freed up? Or if the move didn't auto update the imei, have them do it ? They tell people to just do sim swaps for new phones to keep the same number and balance, and it frees the old imei; wondering what in the process is missing. Be helpful for us to understand your hiccup. Thanks.
    Who said the old IMEI was not freed up? I ran it through PP's checker and it came up fine to activate.

However, when checking with the other Tracfone MVNOs, they all said no activation possible.

I guess this particular phone is limited to PP only. I was hoping since all of the other MVNOs I listed were also owned by TF, that the phones would be able to be activated on them, and I could sell them as such.

Now, it looks like I must sell them as PP only.

Feedback Score
    Who said the old IMEI was not freed up? I ran it through PP's checker and it came up fine to activate.

However, when checking with the other Tracfone MVNOs, they all said no activation possible.

I guess this particular phone is limited to PP only. I was hoping since all of the other MVNOs I listed were also owned by TF, that the phones would be able to be activated on them, and I could sell them as such.

Now, it looks like I must sell them as PP only.
    I understand you said it was ok on PP but not the others. But did you ever contact PP concerning the issue ?
    Be very interesting if PP phones are locked exclusively to only PP vs other TF companies in general. Or I'm misunderstanding the whole TF locking scheme.

Feedback Score
    For what it's worth...just did a chat with PP.

Cyrus: Thank you for visiting Page Plus Cellular.
    Cyrus: Hi Rip.
    You: Are Page Plus phones locked exclusively to PP or can I later move it to another Tracfone company?
    Cyrus: You can move it. Page Plus Cellular is prepaid company.
    Cyrus: We do not locked a phone.
    Cyrus: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
    You: So even if it's still locked to PP, if I put the sim in a new phone the PP phone is ok to use with another TF company ?
    Cyrus: Yes. That is correct.
    Cyrus: Is there anything else that I can help you with?
    You: Yes
    Cyrus: Okay.
    You: I have a friend that got a new phone and moved the sim to his new unlocked phone like you tell people to transfer the # and balance but he can't activate his old PP phone on TF.
    Cyrus: Once the phone number successfully transferred to a new phone. We no longer hold the old phone.
    You: How long does that take?
    You: After the sim swap.
    Cyrus: Yes, after the transfer.
    You: How long after the sim swap?
    Cyrus: It affect immediately.
    You: And this all applies to your PP phones that are locked ?
    Cyrus: Unfortunately, we do not locked a phone as I mentioned a while ago.
    Cyrus: Page Plus Cellular is a prepaid company.
    You: I thought the PP phone I bought from you is locked till I use it for 12 months or something ?
    Cyrus: We do not locked a phone.
    You: The imei of it was checked on TF and it said it can't be used ???
    Cyrus: Maybe the device is not compatible with their service.
    You: Yes it's TF which PP is part of.
    Cyrus: Not all phones are compatible to any service provider.
    Cyrus: I understand your concern.
    Cyrus: You can ask them the reason as to why they can't activate it.
    You: OK, thanks. But from your understanding if it's compatible it should be allowed ?
    Cyrus: Yes, it is.
    You: ok, thanks
    Cyrus: You are welcome.
    Cyrus: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
    You: That's all for now.

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind the transfer may be effect immediately in the PP system as far a phone number/balance but may need to find it's way to update the imei/pairing at VZW which isn't immediate. I'd give it a day or so after using your new phones and check again. Just a guess.