Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: LTE vs 3g Call quality

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    What? They run 1x on PCS like in parts of Texas where they don’t have 850MHz.....

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Ok then. Not sure why they wouldn't just run it over 3G, but whatever. At any point those areas aren't getting lowband 5G anytime soon regardless.
    Last edited by Jack Hagar; 12-26-2019 at 05:42 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Ok then. Not sure why they wouldn't just run it over 3G, but whatever. At any point those areas aren't getting lowband 4G anytime soon regardless.
    EvDO cannot carry voice, so 1x HAS to be present for CDMA voice. EvDO was an addon (Evolution Data Only) that went to 3.1Mbps for 3G data, they could actually totally shut that off and just have a 1.25MHz CDMA carrier for the legacy 1xRTT phone/data at 144kbps without even really interfering with LTE.

Quote Originally Posted by omarc443 View Post
    These are speeds In the heart of Los Angeles on Verizon a HUGE city deff better than what I'm getting on At&t . Those are deff not meh speeds . All over LA is faster overall than At&t . And signal is also better . Walk in a building At&t will drop down to 4G aka 3G and will get 2-5 mbps while Verizon in the same building will have 2 bars lte and get 20-30 mbps

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Um, i said "most places"

California.. verizon has always done me well in LA, Ontario, San Diego, San Fransisco, Oakland, etc..

BUT travel around the rest of the country and you'll get to deal with the lovely garbage speeds I deal with on a regular basis
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    EvDO cannot carry voice, so 1x HAS to be present for CDMA voice. EvDO was an addon (Evolution Data Only) that went to 3.1Mbps for 3G data, they could actually totally shut that off and just have a 1.25MHz CDMA carrier for the legacy 1xRTT phone/data at 144kbps without even really interfering with LTE.

Um, i said "most places"

California.. verizon has always done me well in LA, Ontario, San Diego, San Fransisco, Oakland, etc..

BUT travel around the rest of the country and you'll get to deal with the lovely garbage speeds I deal with on a regular basis
    Um I have family in chicago, New York, Boston ,Washington, AtL and puerto rico and Tennessee so dont think u the only one that travels all over the US . The only place At&t was better was puerto rico since Verizon was roaming there . But everywhere else Verizon was better ,, New York was the worse place for At&t it was TERRIBLE with capital letters . Right there it was atrocious it was a hot mess same in Jersey it was HORRIBLE. Heck even tmobile worked better there . My aunts have tmobile over there .

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omarc443 View Post
    Um I have family in chicago, New York, Boston ,Washington, AtL and puerto rico and Tennessee so dont think u the only one that travels all over the US . The only place At&t was better was puerto rico since Verizon was roaming there . But everywhere else Verizon was better ,, New York was the worse place for At&t it was TERRIBLE with capital letters . Right there it was atrocious it was a hot mess same in Jersey it was HORRIBLE. Heck even tmobile worked better there . My aunts have tmobile over there .

Currently in downtown St Louis:

Right next to an empty Busch Stadium.. I'd hate to see how Verizon works when there is a baseball game?

Like i said.. I travel for a living.. aka EVERY DAY. So please.. insert your expertise again?

Also, I was in NYC and Newark over the last few weeks.. AT&T was not the best in newark, but the speeds were okay for daily use (I always had signal, it was not marked "5Ge" so they had not bothered to do the LTE-A upgrades there BUT newark is the armpit of NYC, so it's last to get anything)

NYC, I was getting 100+Mbps no problem, same in Nashville downtown where my Verizon line was dead in the water for data during working hours.

Are you "testing" AT&T with a phone that has Band 14 and Band 30? If not, or if you're using something like Cricket to test then that's your problem

I also have a condo in downtown Chicago in the loop.. and AT&T 9 times out of 10 will beat Verizon on data speed. Verizon has way too many congestion points in the city.. when you get out to the 'burbs then Verizon edges them out but in the city itself, AT&T is generally better.

Feedback Score

Right next to an empty Busch Stadium.. I'd hate to see how Verizon works when there is a baseball game?

Like i said.. I travel for a living.. aka EVERY DAY. So please.. insert your expertise again?

Also, I was in NYC and Newark over the last few weeks.. AT&T was not the best in newark, but the speeds were okay for daily use (I always had signal, it was not marked "5Ge" so they had not bothered to do the LTE-A upgrades there BUT newark is the armpit of NYC, so it's last to get anything)

NYC, I was getting 100+Mbps no problem, same in Nashville downtown where my Verizon line was dead in the water for data during working hours.

Are you "testing" AT&T with a phone that has Band 14 and Band 30? If not, or if you're using something like Cricket to test then that's your problem
    Is the Verion and At&T equipment on the same tower? That sort of matters.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Is the Verion and At&T equipment on the same tower? That sort of matters.
    What matters is my daily end user experience - and this is generally reflective of that.

I'm in a downtown environment.. the cells should be spaced close enough that it should not matter considering both networks are at damn near full signal where i'm at

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    There is no voice going over 3G on Verizon it's either 2G CMDA or VoLTE.

Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    I fly airplanes and stay in different cities several nights a week for a living, and I definitely have a lot more issues on my Verizon line when traveling around the country.

Verizon simply has not densified enough in many areas (I usually end up staying somewhere downtown in whatever city i'm in)

I still have Verizon and AT&T as dual-sim but Verizon is overall just trash for data capacity way too often anymore (it used to be the other way around until recently from my experience)

I like verizon for extreme rural coverage, but in the city... they're just meh overall most places I go now.
    Lot of truth here that most aren't ready for. If it weren't for FirstNet, I could only imagine the shape AT&T network would be in. Randall must of called in a lot of favors for that contact LMAO.

Verizon has long been overcapcity in urban areas thanks to those who believe "they're the best right" and refusing to try anyone else. At least they are serious about CAPEX, but with trying to sunset CDMA they have to be.

Was it ever concluded that Xfinity does in fact have access to the legacy 1.5/CDMA network!?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

I also have a condo in downtown Chicago in the loop.. and AT&T 9 times out of 10 will beat Verizon on data speed. Verizon has way too many congestion points in the city.. when you get out to the 'burbs then Verizon edges them out but in the city itself, AT&T is generally better.
    I also did a lot of travel for work and AT&T has made massive improvements over the last 3 years or so. They have more LTE spectrum than verizon in most places and top that with the FirstNet contract where they are upgrading almost all their sites they are doing great.

In most places I go I tend to find the same thing. AT&T seems to be the fastest and rarely has congestion issues but is the first one to loose signal especially indoors. AT&T seems to care more about being crowned the speed king that they forget about consistency at times (but even this gap is slowly being closed too).

Feedback Score
    Everyone brags about the "download speed". Why? What's that needed for, except speedtest?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Just to correct some misconceptions.

LTE - data only, no voice
    VOLTE - voice and data

The older phones with LTE only also used CDMA for voice on Sprint/Verizon.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Everyone brags about the "download speed". Why? What's that needed for, except speedtest?
    Probably because data speed is easy to quantify. Texts and voice calls go through with minimal capacity on a cell.

Otherwise I am with you. Speed testing is mostly a hobby for bragging rights. I have found that 3 Mbps is enough to do what I need to do with a cellphone without noticing that it is slow.

All the same, higher available speed is good. It means that more people can use a cell without it getting bogged down to a crawl.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Otherwise I am with you. Speed testing is mostly a hobby for bragging rights. I have found that 3 Mbps is enough to do what I need to do with a cellphone without noticing that it is slow.
    All this "speed" talk is pushed by the providers as marketing. Making you think that you are losing something if you don't get the "speed".
    To me congestion is manifesting firstly by latency of the network. Pages of internet "think" a little bit before actually downloading. VoIP apps are affected by that latency too.
    I would be happy with 3-5 Mbps instead of what I get now (80 down /20 up / 85ms ping), but to be of low latency (ping lower than 100ms) and more importantly stable... during the day hours.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    So if I keep my phone (iphone Xs) set on LTE/VOLTE I get mainly 2 or 3 bars most everywhere and when I am at 2 bars or less the call quality is terrible.
    Must be an iphone thing, unless there really is some real network problem in your area. I don't get any variation in LTE call quality, I frequently see like 1 or 2 bars on band 4 and it's fine (probably carrier aggregating with band 13 to back it up though so that might not really count.) I've seen like 0-1 bar (-130 signal or so) on band 13 in a few spots, which is pretty poor, and calls still sounded fine. I pretty well suspect the calls on my Blackberry KeyOne would sound fine until the signal drops off at which point the call would drop.

Hopefully for iphone users this is a software fix? I mean, the VoLTE call should only need 0.06mbps so if you're getting non-zero LTE data speeds the VoLTE should in theory be perfectly clear.

Um I have family in chicago, New York, Boston ,Washington, AtL and puerto rico and Tennessee so dont think u the only one that travels all over the US . The only place At&t was better was puerto rico since Verizon was roaming there
    Agreed, both counts. Not the comparison with AT&T, I don't have it.

But, it's true, I saw very good service in Chicago, New York, and Washington, speeds are quite good. All bands up and running, densified cell phone network.

It's ALSO true, around the midwest at least, there's rural areas that are band 13 only, including some towns where they are covered by a band 13 site miles outside the town. In the rural band 13 areas speeds are OK (like 10mbps or whatever), in these towns they are bad (like 1-3mbps, outdoors.) Other larger towns I see band 4 or 5 or 2 added, but the original cell sites they've had since probably the 1980s, and speeds in these areas are not necessarily great either. I have seen progress; just took a trip up to Wisconsin, along 151 compared to just a few months ago they've added band 4 to a few of the sites where it was very slow a few months back (bringing speeds up from like 1mbps to about 10mbps) and one of the towns that used to have about 1 bar and 1mbps of service (and a dead zone right in the middle of town) now has 2 cell sites in town serving it.

Feedback Score
    Interesting my wife and I just switched to Verizon after 25 years with AT&T. I have an XSM and she has the 11 Pro. Our experience has been that VOLTE calls on Verizon are much clearer and more reliable, even with just a single bar of service, that they ever where on AT&T.

But data speeds on Verizon are much slower and in some locations/times congestion can make Verizon data really slow / unusable (for steaming). Never saw this in AT&T in the last 5+ years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast