Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: LTE vs 3g Call quality

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well I went and picked up a Pixel 3a from Best Buy yesterday to try it out as they have a $100 discount right now.
    What can I say? So far I think it's about the best cell phone I have ever used, and I go back to bag phones from Motorola in the early 90s and have tried more phones than I care to remember. It gets great reception, great battery life, has excellent sounding audio and doesn't have all the bloatware that the other Android (especially Samsung) phones seem to have. It's smallish and light, it's fast and its screen looks great. Best of all, the call quality seems wonderful even with poor coverage. One of the best purchases I have ever made.
    Looks like I may end up dumping my iphone Xs.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    No issues with my Galaxy s10+ even with 1 bar. It's either you drop a call or it sounds crystal clear.

Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by californiajay View Post
    Well I went and picked up a Pixel 3a from Best Buy yesterday to try it out as they have a $100 discount right now.
    What can I say? So far I think it's about the best cell phone I have ever used, and I go back to bag phones from Motorola in the early 90s and have tried more phones than I care to remember. It gets great reception, great battery life, has excellent sounding audio and doesn't have all the bloatware that the other Android (especially Samsung) phones seem to have. It's smallish and light, it's fast and its screen looks great. Best of all, the call quality seems wonderful even with poor coverage. One of the best purchases I have ever made.
    Looks like I may end up dumping my iphone Xs.
    Welcome to Qualcomm.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Well except in areas where Verizon doesn't have any 850 MHz
    What? They run 1x on PCS like in parts of Texas where they don’t have 850MHz.....

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    I definitely notice a difference in lower-signal environments with the Intel chipset, my iPhone 8+ has a qualcomm chipset and works much better in lower signal environments than my 11 ProMax, but I still detest Android enough and just deal with it.

I am hoping for them to go back to Qualcomm next year.. although on AT&T I notice hardly any issue compared to Verizon as they seem to have a denser cell grid due to being GSM/EDGE early on.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I definitely notice a difference in lower-signal environments with the Intel chipset, my iPhone 8+ has a qualcomm chipset and works much better in lower signal environments than my 11 ProMax, but I still detest Android enough and just deal with it.

I am hoping for them to go back to Qualcomm next year.. although on AT&T I notice hardly any issue compared to Verizon as they seem to have a denser cell grid due to being GSM/EDGE early on.
    My intel XS Max on AT&T has been solid. VoLTE works flawlessly. Even edge of cell performance was much better than my old Qualcomm 6S Plus.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    My intel XS Max on AT&T has been solid. VoLTE works flawlessly. Even edge of cell performance was much better than my old Qualcomm 6S Plus.
    I've had a lot less issues on AT&T, but even in my house the XS Max and 11ProMax will fail/drop calls in places the SE and Qualcomm 8+ is fine.

Verizon i seem to have a whole lot more issues with I think due to them pretty much still having CDMA-spacing in a lot of areas and not having as much low-band spectrum as AT&T due to FirstNet, and Verizon it's mostly data speed issues (and sometimes dropping) due to being dumped on over-crowded B13

A few years ago, I could never use AT&T for my daily driver due to LTE issues... since they got serious with the FirstNet rollout and fixing things, they've been flat the best network i've used when flying around the country. And I've had a personal vendetta for AT&T since Cingular due to them being absolute trash and inconsistent until recently in Columbus, OH and when flying around.

Feedback Score
    I've had a lot less issues on AT&T, but even in my house the XS Max and 11ProMax will fail/drop calls in places the SE and Qualcomm 8+ is fine.

Verizon i seem to have a whole lot more issues with I think due to them pretty much still having CDMA-spacing in a lot of areas and not having as much low-band spectrum as AT&T due to FirstNet, and Verizon it's mostly data speed issues (and sometimes dropping) due to being dumped on over-crowded B13

A few years ago, I could never use AT&T for my daily driver due to LTE issues... since they got serious with the FirstNet rollout and fixing things, they've been flat the best network i've used when flying around the country. And I've had a personal vendetta for AT&T since Cingular due to them being absolute trash and inconsistent until recently in Columbus, OH and when flying around.
    That depends on location like always here in California I live in Los Angeles but gone up and down California from San Diego to Sacramento. And as much as I like At&t . Verizon is the way to go here . My dad has Verizon. And honestly as long as you have one of their newer phones u dont have problems. He has had better lte speed , coverage , signal strength and coverage in places literally in the middle of nowhere were I had nothing on At&t when we traveled in hIs RV . At&t is fine here as long as u stay in the city but as u keep getting out the city youl drop down to hspa . Then keep driving more out signal strength will start degrading.. keep on driving youl hit areas with no service at all . While Verizon has working lte . People say Verizon cdma blah blah blah etc... my dad rarely had 3G evdo or 1x cdma . He always had solid lte and it worked . While driving thru Santa Maria san Luis Obispo, lompoc and many more places while I was struggling with spotty hspa on At&t and it rarely worked , calls dropped, data was terrible . And yes I have a band 14 capable phone .

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omarc443 View Post
    That depends on location like always here in California I live in Los Angeles but gone up and down California from San Diego to Sacramento. And as much as I like At&t . Verizon is the way to go here . My dad has Verizon. And honestly as long as you have one of their newer phones u dont have problems. He has had better lte speed , coverage , signal strength and coverage in places literally in the middle of nowhere were I had nothing on At&t when we traveled in hIs RV . At&t is fine here as long as u stay in the city but as u keep getting out the city youl drop down to hspa . Then keep driving more out signal strength will start degrading.. keep on driving youl hit areas with no service at all . While Verizon has working lte . People say Verizon cdma blah blah blah etc... my dad rarely had 3G evdo or 1x cdma . He always had solid lte and it worked . While driving thru Santa Maria san Luis Obispo, lompoc and many more places while I was struggling with spotty hspa on At&t and it rarely worked , calls dropped, data was terrible . And yes I have a band 14 capable phone .

I fly airplanes and stay in different cities several nights a week for a living, and I definitely have a lot more issues on my Verizon line when traveling around the country.

Verizon simply has not densified enough in many areas (I usually end up staying somewhere downtown in whatever city i'm in)

I still have Verizon and AT&T as dual-sim but Verizon is overall just trash for data capacity way too often anymore (it used to be the other way around until recently from my experience)

I like verizon for extreme rural coverage, but in the city... they're just meh overall most places I go now.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Is Apple going back to Qualcomm next model year?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Is Apple going back to Qualcomm next model year?
    They'd almost have too.. Intel exited the business and there's no way Apple's own modem will be ready that fast after buying that unit and they suspiciously patched everything up with Qualcomm right before Intel announced they were exiting the business.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

LTE vs 3g Call quality

They'd almost have too.. Intel exited the business and there's no way Apple's own modem will be ready that fast after buying that unit and they suspiciously patched everything up with Qualcomm right before Intel announced they were exiting the business.
    So once Apple gets its modem design running, Qualcomm will get the boot by Apple again?

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Why is Intel getting out?
    Probably the cost and difficulty in developing 5G capabilities in phone configurations.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    So once Apple gets its modem design running, Qualcomm will get the boot by Apple again?
    That's assuming that Apple can get a working modem and push it to TSMC. All the best RF engineers were "sucked in" by Qualcomm, that's why Intel failed.

Feedback Score
    I fly airplanes and stay in different cities several nights a week for a living, and I definitely have a lot more issues on my Verizon line when traveling around the country.

Verizon simply has not densified enough in many areas (I usually end up staying somewhere downtown in whatever city i'm in)

I still have Verizon and AT&T as dual-sim but Verizon is overall just trash for data capacity way too often anymore (it used to be the other way around until recently from my experience)

I like verizon for extreme rural coverage, but in the city... they're just meh overall most places I go now.
    These are speeds In the heart of Los Angeles on Verizon a HUGE city deff better than what I'm getting on At&t . Those are deff not meh speeds . All over LA is faster overall than At&t . And signal is also better . Walk in a building At&t will drop down to 4G aka 3G and will get 2-5 mbps while Verizon in the same building will have 2 bars lte and get 20-30 mbps

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast