Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: High Rise Buildings

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    A similar situation can be found on some mountain tops. You can see a half-dozen cell towers for your carrier but can't get a signal.
    What's weird is when you are actually receiving a strong signal on a mountain with clear LOS & still can't make a call. I'm assuming the handset lacks sufficient transmit power to talk back to the cell?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    What's weird is when you are actually receiving a strong signal on a mountain with clear LOS & still can't make a call. I'm assuming the handset lacks sufficient transmit power to talk back to the cell?
    I ran into that at the Grand Canyon. Perfect signal but was unusable. This was back in late 2008 though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Carrier(s)
    Verizon AT&T Dual SIM
    Feedback Score
    If you're on the top floor, rooftop HVAC equipment can badly interfere with reception in older buildings. It's a serious problem in GSA buildings in my experience.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    I ran into that at the Grand Canyon. Perfect signal but was unusable. This was back in late 2008 though ......
    At the rim or below? At the rim, VZW's one tower there could be overloaded. Below: that or you're seeing an edge-defracted downlink with no clear uplink path.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    At the rim or below? At the rim, VZW's one tower there could be overloaded. Below: that or you're seeing an edge-defracted downlink with no clear uplink path.
    Was at the rim. Also this was 2008 before LTE. No clue what I was roaming on. I didn't have Verizon back then. I had uscellular. If Verizon was the only tower there then it might of been Verizon.

Funny part is I had better overall service than my grandparents who had Verizon while traveling out west. I guess uscellular had more overall roaming partners than Verizon did oddly. Granted a lot of the roaming where I could roam and they couldn't was voice and text only.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    .....No clue what I was roaming on. ....
    Commnet Wireless. Verizon's site there seems to have powered up in 2017. I could be wrong about that.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    In Manhattan, you see them installed horizontally and pointed upwards from all the carriers. You can be on the 50th+ floor without a problem. Usually in buildings up over 80 stories, an iDAS is installed.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    80 stories is a made up #

most office buildings that i have been in manhattan are less than 80 stories and have DAS systems

also, i have found that you might connect to one cell tower at one floor/location in a building and then another at a different usually higher floor/location of a building.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I've also seen that due to license boundaries; used to be here, you'd have the digital signal drop off right at the county line (seriously, within a foot or two of the county line sign, it was pretty accurate), the service would drop with 3 or 4 bars and switch to extended network. The license ended at the county line, the cell site's sectors can know distance between site and phone with the timing advance info, and sectors pointing out of the license can then be set to cut off service at a specific distance, while ones pointing into the license aren't distance limited.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2