Thread: new samsung a50 phone wont send mms attachments over wifi

Device(s)
    LX770 Ericsson
    Carrier(s)
    ex-Free2Go now cing.
    Feedback Score

new samsung a50 phone wont send mms attachments over wifi

my old moto e4 did this so i see no reason why samsung wont do it. but so far samsung insists on using mobile for attachments on mms. matter of fact samsung notifies me that it wont send until mobile is turned back on

the stock settings on the phone are
    name tracfone
    apn reseller
    mmsc mmsc.mobile.att.net
    multimedia message proxy proxy.mobile.att.net

multimedia message port 80
    mcc 310
    mnc 410
    apn type default,supl,mms
    apn protocol ipv4 ipv6
    apn roaming protocol ipv4
    mvno type GID
    mvno value DEFF

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by luckydriver View Post
    my old moto e4 did this so i see no reason why samsung wont do it. but so far samsung insists on using mobile for attachments on mms. matter of fact samsung notifies me that it wont send until mobile is turned back on

the stock settings on the phone are
    name tracfone
    apn reseller
    mmsc mmsc.mobile.att.net
    multimedia message proxy proxy.mobile.att.net

multimedia message port 80
    mcc 310
    mnc 410
    apn type default,supl,mms
    apn protocol ipv4 ipv6
    apn roaming protocol ipv4
    mvno type GID
    mvno value DEFF
    Sorry, MMS only works over data. Will not send/rec over WiFi. It is possible that the E4 turned it on to deal with MMS. I used to use an E4 and don't remember it doing that, but possible.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    MMS and/or attachments will not send/receive without cellular data. Has always been this way on Android phones. There are applications that can be downloaded to work around that limitation while connected to WiFi. The Motorola e4 is not any different. Text messaging does not require cellular data.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Yes, you won't know it but the E4 and some other phones will flip data on (then off) automatically to do MMS. You won't even see a data icon flash on. If you don't want to receive an MMS and use your data unexpectedly you can set the E4 to ask your permission to download an MMS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by luckydriver View Post
    my old moto e4 did this so i see no reason why samsung wont do it. but so far samsung insists on using mobile for attachments on mms.
    Samsung likes to control their phones more than some other manufacturers. In my Moto G5 the setting is "Auto-download MMS". They also tend to lock out the "*#*#INFO#*#*" diagnostic menu.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you switch to RCS, you can use it via WiFi, but I think the other person needs to have RCS too. I am still learning with RCS tho.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    If you switch to RCS, you can use it via WiFi, but I think the other person needs to have RCS too. I am still learning with RCS tho.
    I did some testing and found that there is a setting to resend the message as SMS if the other party is not connected. The problem was that it seemed to wait for about 5 min to resend. That might be a problem if you were in a hurry.

I turned on RCS for testing but turned it off. Not sure it's ready for prime time. But, was able to send/rec RCS texts among all 3 TF/Carriers.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    I did some testing and found that there is a setting to resend the message as SMS if the other party is not connected. The problem was that it seemed to wait for about 5 min to resend. That might be a problem if you were in a hurry.

I turned on RCS for testing but turned it off. Not sure it's ready for prime time. But, was able to send/rec RCS texts among all 3 TF/Carriers.
    I have not seen that yet myself. When the other person does not have RCS, it will send as SMS or MMS right away.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    Yep, RCS is not ready for prime time. Only thing it works on is Google Messages, which not all are using, and the feature can't be activated on some phones.