Thread: Anyone have VoLTE or HD Voice on Consumer Cellular (AT&T sim)?

Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score

Anyone have VoLTE or HD Voice on Consumer Cellular (AT&T sim)?

I saw a long thread on this but it seemed like there was a lot of unknowns about which phones actually work and which don't. To narrow the focus, I'm only interested in any CC users using the ATT network and if you have VoLTE or HD Voice working, what phone are you using (and whether it was a CC sold phone or if you brought it with you.) I am on the original Pixel XL which I believe is VoLTE capable and I've been told my line is provisioned correctly but I don't have it.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I have a friend who is on Consumer Cellular (AT&T) and when he expressed a desire to move to a smartphone from his flip, I helped him choose a phone.

This goes back about two years, but what we ended up with was a Huawei Ascend XT 2, from AT&T Prepaid. It was a toss up between that and a ZTE Blade Spark.

Very similar phones, but Walmart was having a sale on the Huawei for something under $100 (can't remember how much he paid; probably around $70).

So he got this device and got CC to send him an appropriately sized SIM. He got it activated and setup and he was good to go.

But I kept noticing his phone audio sounded really harsh and constricted, as heard on my phones.

I knew the Huawei had a setting for whatever they referred to for HD Voice or Advanced Calling or VoLTE, and it was greyed out. I told him to give CC support a call and ask if they could and would provision his account for VoLTE, and sure enough they did.

The next time he called me from that phone his audio was 100% improved, and this is just by virtue of the VoLTE connection, not because we had an end to end HD Voice call happening, because we didn't (I've got Page Plus Cellular and call through Google Voice using cellular, which, even though I've got a VoLTE connection too, GV doesn't pass any potential HD call components through their setup).

But still, good connection, good audio; better than run of the mill GSM 3G.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    The next time he called me from that phone his audio was 100% improved, and this is just by virtue of the VoLTE connection, not because we had an end to end HD Voice call happening, because we didn't (I've got Page Plus Cellular and call through Google Voice using cellular, which, even though I've got a VoLTE connection too, GV doesn't pass any potential HD call components through their setup).
    But still, good connection, good audio; better than run of the mill GSM 3G.
    I think that Google Voice can also use G.722 versus the plain-old G.711, and therefore can pass some of the HD Voice bandwidth. G.722 usage is free, because patents expired.

PS: Note that "HD Voice" is in fact G.722.2, also known as AMR-WB ("Adaptive Multirate Wideband"). This is a patented variant, so Google won't use it directly.
    Last edited by SoNic67; 12-18-2019 at 03:45 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I chatted with CC support this morning. The agent said she was sending an update to the 3 phones and that we should restart them. She said the only one she guaranteed would work would be my son's iPhone. Still no wifi calling or Volte on my Pixel XL or my wife's Pixel 3a. Wifi calling does work on my son's iPhone.
    Last edited by lmacmil; 12-18-2019 at 05:27 PM.

Feedback Score
    All these VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling issues with Android are AT&T. I moved a line away from AT&T to a Verizon MVNO to get VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling.

Sent from my SM-T720 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
    I saw a long thread on this but it seemed like there was a lot of unknowns about which phones actually work and which don't. To narrow the focus, I'm only interested in any CC users using the ATT network and if you have VoLTE or HD Voice working, what phone are you using (and whether it was a CC sold phone or if you brought it with you.) I am on the original Pixel XL which I believe is VoLTE capable and I've been told my line is provisioned correctly but I don't have it.
    Doro 7050 with AT&T SIM on Consumer Cellular is working on 2 phones I set up last week. Be sure to ask CC to turn it on. One rep said it provisions automatically, another said you have to request it.

Feedback Score
    I have 2 Doro 7050 cells working with VoLTE using AT&T SIM. I bought them as unlocked GSM refurbs on eBay and then got Consumer Cellular SIMS mailed to me. I then ported one away from TracFone and the other from Vonage.
    Quote Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
    I chatted with CC support this morning. The agent said she was sending an update to the 3 phones and that we should restart them. She said the only one she guaranteed would work would be my son's iPhone. Still no wifi calling or Volte on my Pixel XL or my wife's Pixel 3a. Wifi calling does work on my son's iPhone.
    Sent from my moto g(7) power using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone SE , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwiz View Post
    Be sure to ask CC to turn it on. One rep said it provisions automatically, another said you have to request it.
    Yeah, not sure why they don't provision some features automatically. "Oh, you're bringing an iPhone 8? Let me switch on ___, ___, and ___." Over multiple interactions over a few years now, I've learned to ask them to verify that they've switched on features like hotspot, VoLTE, and so on.

Feedback Score
    Anyone know if this needing to sometime ask CC to provision your account for VoLTE would apply to TMO too, not only Att sims.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone SE , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Anyone know if this needing to sometime ask CC to provision your account for VoLTE would apply to TMO too, not only Att sims.
    I can't imagine why it might be different, and it takes only a few minutes to ask. Some of our incidents occurred before CC even offered T-Mo service, so I think it's a CC process problem, not a carrier problem.