Thread: Questions about Red Pocket/T-Mobile wifi calling re: SMS

Feedback Score

Questions about Red Pocket/T-Mobile wifi calling re: SMS

Sorry if this has been asked and answered.

I have an annual plan with Red Pocket GSMT that only includes 100 SMS texts. I often find I need more because people I need to text with don't use Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, etc. I have been using free SMS via Hangouts/Google Voice but I find that individual messages are failing to get through so ng. T-Mobile SMS is reliable.

I have two basic questions:

1) I think I have to request that wifi calling be enabled. Is there anything in particular I need to stress with RP?
    2) I don't really need wifi calling for voice because T-Mobile is strong for me. It's my impression that minutes used over wifi go against the voice quota. Does SMS have a similar connection to the text quota? Or is it possible I might be able to use wifi to send SMS the way I can with Google Voice?

Not really expecting to find a way to get "free" carrier SMS on a prepaid quota plan but thought I would ask.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by philovance View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked and answered.

I have an annual plan with Red Pocket GSMT that only includes 100 SMS texts. I often find I need more because people I need to text with don't use Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, etc. I have been using free SMS via Hangouts/Google Voice but I find that individual messages are failing to get through so ng. T-Mobile SMS is reliable.

I have two basic questions:

1) I think I have to request that wifi calling be enabled. Is there anything in particular I need to stress with RP?
    2) I don't really need wifi calling for voice because T-Mobile is strong for me. It's my impression that minutes used over wifi go against the voice quota. Does SMS have a similar connection to the text quota? Or is it possible I might be able to use wifi to send SMS the way I can with Google Voice?

Not really expecting to find a way to get "free" carrier SMS on a prepaid quota plan but thought I would ask.
    I’m not sure I understand, if messages are failing through hangouts, WhatsApp etc WiFi calling is not going to fix that WiFi calling is for traditional phone calls and sms to go through not apps.

2. If you have only 100 sms per month sending sms over WiFi calling will also take out of that allotment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I'm surprised that you're having trouble with GV+Hangouts. That's ALL I use for my USA calls and texts, because I don't have any real phone #s, and it works perfectly for me.

For out of country or mixed country messages, I use FB Messenger mostly, and Viber for a couple of contacts, but that requires those contacts to have the respective apps installed.

I use TextNow to have a Canadian phone # for some of my Canadian contacts, which works a lot like GV+Hangouts, just with more ads. But it does work fine, and USA phone #s are available, so that might be another option for you to consider.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    philovance, is there any rhyme or reason that you've observed with the GV/Hangouts messages that you send but aren't received by the intended recipient?

I've been using GV+Hangouts over LTE and/or WiFi data only since March, 2017, for ALL my mobile voice and messaging needs, and it has been very reliable.

So, if you could get whatever the issue is with GV+Hangouts resolved, I think that would be the best solution to your dilemma.

If you really want to stay on your 100/100/500 plan, using GV+Hangouts seems like a really good way to supplement that, since you have 500MB/30 days LTE to use, and it also works when you have a WiFi signal.

If you just can't figure out why GV+Hangouts isn't working reliably for you, like I said above, you could also try TextNow.

Feedback Score
    If on Android, why not try Google messages RCS enable chat features? It has the capability to send SMS over WiFi and data.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rustybronco View Post
    If on Android, why not try Google messages RCS enable chat features? It has the capability to send SMS over WiFi and data.
    I'm still pretty hazy on the RCS subject, but if the recipient doesn't also have Google Messages, or possibly some other universal RCS compatible messaging app, doesn't the SMS/MMS then end up being sent via the regular cellular SMS/MMS system, which would still use the plan's allotment, which philovance is trying to avoid?

Hopefully someone will correct me if that's wrong.

Feedback Score
    RCS to RCS chat works using Data (with Google Jibe servers). But if the other person doesn't have RCS, it will fail and the Messages will re-try to send it as SMS/MMS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    philovance, is there any rhyme or reason that you've observed with the GV/Hangouts messages that you send but aren't received by the intended recipient?

I've been using GV+Hangouts over LTE and/or WiFi data only since March, 2017, for ALL my mobile voice and messaging needs, and it has been very reliable.

So, if you could get whatever the issue is with GV+Hangouts resolved, I think that would be the best solution to your dilemma.

If you really want to stay on your 100/100/500 plan, using GV+Hangouts seems like a really good way to supplement that, since you have 500MB/30 days LTE to use, and it also works when you have a WiFi signal.

If you just can't figure out why GV+Hangouts isn't working reliably for you, like I said above, you could also try TextNow.
    As much as I can tell it's a Google to iPhone/AT&T thing. People I text with iPhones on other carriers get them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    RCS to RCS chat works using Data (with Google Jibe servers). But if the other person doesn't have RCS, it will fail and the Messages will re-try to send it as SMS/MMS.
    This. I'll just use up my SMS texts on the people with issues. It's always something.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk