Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Good bye cricket

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    Are you kidding? This is Verizon we're talking about.

I'm sure Visible customers sit in the BACK of the bus, and always will. You want first class privileges? You will pay first class prices.
    To be fair, every carrier treats there prepaid subsidiary customers this way. Metro users are on the back of tmobiles bus, you want TMobile features, top priority and perks? Pay more. Same with At&t and Cricket. Same even with Sprint and boost.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    To be fair, every carrier treats there prepaid subsidiary customers this way. Metro users are on the back of tmobiles bus, you want TMobile features, top priority and perks? Pay more. Same with At&t and Cricket. Same even with Sprint and boost.
    Yep, and even now they're experimenting with some of these methods for postpaid, too - AT&T has Unlimited Starter, Verizon has Start Unlimited, T-Mobile has Essentials, Sprint has Kickstart. For those of us on AT&T Prepaid or Cricket, we've just been fortunate that things tend to be more forgiving across the board.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR 128 GB white ( sim free)
    Carrier(s)
    Visible Mobile $25
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    One thing I miss about cricket was the ability to change plans and paying pro-rated rates. ATT prepaid only allows one change per month so if you change back you’re charged for two month. I’m having to file a BBB complaint to get back $75 on duplicate charges

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Visible? I don’t know LA market but in central fl, Visible rocks... running circles around Cricket/Att prepaid many times.
    Everybody who-switches has not looked back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mtr999 View Post
    Visible? I don’t know LA market but in central fl, Visible rocks... running circles around Cricket/Att prepaid many times.
    Everybody who-switches has not looked back.
    I just got my brand new Visible phone an hour ago. Got it all set up.

Worse than AT&T and T-Mobile in my house and out on my street.

So, YMMV.

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    iPhone XR 128 GB white ( sim free)
    Carrier(s)
    Visible Mobile $25
    Feedback Score
    Yes YMMV, sorry if Visible does not work out for you. For others Visible work, we are going long haul with Visible as there are no others better values to at the moment , $25 all locked in unlimited everything and don’t forget wifi call included and free hotspot.

This thread is incredible run, anyway so long Cricket and At&t. Peace out.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mtr999 View Post
    Yes YMMV, sorry if Visible does not work out for you. For others Visible work, we are going long haul with Visible as there are no others better values to at the moment , $25 all locked in unlimited everything and don’t forget wifi call included and free hotspot.

This thread is incredible run, anyway so long Cricket and At&t. Peace out.
    I checked the IMEIs of four phones. Only one iPhone is compatible with Visible, the other phones, none of which are ancient models, all of which are unlocked phones that work on Verizon and Verizon MVNOs (and the other three national carriers), do not work on Visible.

I don't know what it is about Visible that makes it so hard for recent vintage Android phones, that work on Verizon and Verizon MVNOs, to work on Visible. Is it something in the operating system or phone that the Visible SIM card has to control, like turning off CDMA, that is the issue?

Visible is definitely an incredible deal that a great many postpaid Verizon users would happily switch to. To get Verizon's network for $25/line, with no throttling unless the network is congested, is great. But for now we'll stick with Total Wireless which is on Verizon and works with all our phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    I don't know what it is about Visible that makes it so hard for recent vintage Android phones, that work on Verizon and Verizon MVNOs, to work on Visible. Is it something in the operating system or phone that the Visible SIM card has to control, like turning off CDMA, that is the issue?
    Hey, this is Verizon. That's all you have to know. It's their way or the highway.

As for the service...from what I can tell, Verizon users would do well to test out the alternatives. I think many of them would be very surprised to discover that the emperor has no clothes.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Hey, this is Verizon. That's all you have to know. It's their way or the highway.

As for the service...from what I can tell, Verizon users would do well to test out the alternatives. I think many of them would be very surprised to discover that the emperor has no clothes.
    Well I can tell you that for a lot of us, Verizon is the only viable alternative, due to coverage issues with the other carriers. So when I was leaving T-Mobile, I knew that I had to be on some sort of Verizon, whether it was Verizon proper or one of the many MVNOs that offer Verizon's network. We frequently visit areas of the country where Verizon is the only carrier with adequate coverage. AT&T was second. AT&T service on a family plan was limited to Cricket or to AT&T prepaid, and those were not any cheaper than Verizon.

I have no love for any wireless carrier, nor do I have hate for any wireless carrier, but I do know what works where I live and where I travel to. On one HF forum if you say anything slightly negative about that carrier you are immediately jumped on my two very ardent supporters of that carrier.
    Last edited by CanadianAngela; 12-27-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    Well I can tell you that for a lot of us, Verizon is the only viable alternative, due to coverage issues with the other carriers.l
    my entire point was, how old or "legacy" are those "known issues with the other carriers"?

If five years ago T-Mo sucked for you and VZW was great, that's 20 generations in the world of technology. I can tell you from experience, the T-Mobile service of today is worlds apart from what it was 7 years ago (when I started with them).

For example, I challenge you to take your VZW phone to Franklin, PA. Look it up on a map. And yet, T-Mo has incredibly fast service there. In days past, you'd have said "only VZW could possibly have service there!" And you'd have been right. Today? I may go there next month just to see how Visible does compared to what I know T-Mobile does there.

You can't rely on what you knew years ago, was my point. Yet, so many people do. "I've always had VZW service; it's always been great" they'll say, without knowing a thing. (I had an uncle who, 60 years ago, bought a new Buick every two years, like clockwork. It was just What He Did. Some people are like that.)

So when I was leaving T-Mobile, I knew that I had to be on some sort of Verizon, whether it was Verizon proper or one of the many MVNOs that offer Verizon's network. We frequently visit areas of the country where Verizon is the only carrier with adequate coverage. AT&T was second. AT&T service on a family plan was limited to Cricket or to AT&T prepaid, and those were not any cheaper than Verizon.

I have no love for any wireless carrier, nor do I have hate for any wireless carrier, but I do know what works where I live and where I travel to. On one HF forum if you say anything slightly negative about that carrier you are immediately jumped on my two very ardent supporters of that carrier.
    Eh. All I'm saying is, if you haven't checked in the last 6 months, then you don't know how any given carrier competes service-wise with any other given carrier. They're all busy filling holes--T-Mo more than others, apparently--and VZW has been resting on their previously-deserved reputation for a long, long time. Given my Visible experience so far (yeah, a whole day), I'm not sure they realize that things have changed.

Feedback Score
    We are also going to give Visible a try. We have the 5/100 grandfathered plan which been a great price. But in the last year or so the three phones in our household have been sporadically dropping the signal or breaking up. We travel frequently to eastern Oregon and are used to not having cell coverage. Now Oregon State Parks state that if you are going into the outback that Verizon is the best choice. We have always carried a Samsung flip phone through Page Plus for emergencies when going east.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blufkin View Post
    Now Oregon State Parks state that if you are going into the outback that Verizon is the best choice. We have always carried a Samsung flip phone through Page Plus for emergencies when going east.
    I still have a PagePlus phone that I keep alive primarily for the number, but also to have a battery-friendly flip phone on the VZW network to have on vacation and whatnot to complement the Cricket (AT&T) and T-Mobile phones we use day to day--just in case.

That all being said: if VZW is the best choice for the boonies in the Oregon state parks, does that necessarily translate to Visible? I would think not necessarily, given what I've seen of Visible.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    What’s sad is AT&T used to dominate in speeds where I live but now during the day it’s barely usable. Sometimes I need to use my hotspot on my iPhone with Visible. Visible has greatly improved for me. Speeds are awesome, day and night and pings have been lower lately.

Did a tear around 6 PM today. AT&T download speed was 4 Mbps. Visible was 42 Mbps. My apartment cuts off signal so I only had 2 bars. Speeds like that for 2 bars, awesome. I’m quite impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    my entire point was, how old or "legacy" are those "known issues with the other carriers"?

If five years ago T-Mo sucked for you and VZW was great, that's 20 generations in the world of technology. I can tell you from experience, the T-Mobile service of today is worlds apart from what it was 7 years ago (when I started with them).
    We had T-Mobile service up until a couple of months ago. We had it mainly because of the international roaming feature. We knew we'd sacrifice domestic coverage to get that, but T-Mobile's domestic coverage finally became too much of an issue for us to be able to continue with it.

And it's not just my personal experience, all you have to do is to look at the actual coverage maps which show the large differences in coverage in rural areas. And we're not talking in the middle of a Nebraska cornfield, we're talking about the areas not many miles away from cities, and we're talking about major highways that go through sparsely populated areas.

If you never leave cities or suburbs, T-Mobile is fine (as are Metro and the many MVNOs that resell T-Mobile service). But if you're a family that travels off the beaten path a lot, T-Mobile is not fine. At the very least you need to carry along a second phone that's on an AT&T or Verizon MVNO, something like RedPocket or one of the Tracfone brands.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I still have a PagePlus phone that I keep alive primarily for the number, but also to have a battery-friendly flip phone on the VZW network to have on vacation and whatnot to complement the Cricket (AT&T) and T-Mobile phones we use day to day--just in case.

That all being said: if VZW is the best choice for the boonies in the Oregon state parks, does that necessarily translate to Visible? I would think not necessarily, given what I've seen of Visible.
    When we were in "the boonies" of Oregon, on T-Mobile, we had no service but we ran into people that had coverage on Verizon but they were roaming on U.S. Cellular. I don't think that Visible can do that. Nor can Total Wireless which I have. But apparently Page Plus still offers extra-cost roaming, at least for voice, at 29¢/minute on Pay as You Go: https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/25-standard-pin/, and 20¢/minute on their monthly plans: https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/the-12/ .

I wish that Verizon would acquire U.S. Cellular so all that rural coverage would be available on Verizon's native network. But maybe Verizon has no interest in buying a carrier that has to provide so much rural coverage. However there's precedent for that because Verizon did buy a rural carrier in California many years ago.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast