Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Good bye cricket

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    I think that AT&T's goal is to close down Cricket and migrate its customers to AT&T prepaid. Maintaining two separate prepaid businesses, with all the overhead and all the advertising and marketing is not efficient.
    I know the Cricket and GoPho...I mean AT&T Prepaid merging topic comes up every few months, but it seems outside of common leadership, there's no inclination that the two would be merged. If they did, wouldn't it be easier to just integrate everything into one and maybe leave devices/SIM cards as-is? (They probably could do that at this point, like the old days of different Cingular SIMs based on market).

Nonetheless, T-Mobile still has T-Mobile Prepaid and Metro, Sprint (for now) has Boost and Virgin, and Verizon has Verizon Prepaid and Visible, so AT&T may use that as justification for keeping the two brands to compete in different areas of the market.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    I mean the S10 and S9 are such specialty, fringe phones so I understand. It would be different if they were not accepting the most prevalent phones from the largest phone manufacturer in the world or something. That would be crazy.....hahaha
    There is some technical issue with the way Visible works (LTE-only) that must preclude so many mainstream phones from working. Or could it be that Verizon is scared that postpaid customers will move to Visible?

Personally, I've been very happy with Total Wireless. All of our phones work. Hotspot works on the Samsung phones and supposedly hotspot support is coming to the iPhone soon. Data speeds are very fast for the first 100GB/month, a threshold that we've never come anywhere close to passing. It's about the same price as Visible for four lines ($95/month plus taxes and fees).

One advantage of Cricket and AT&T Prepaid is that they include some off-network roaming, but Visible and Total Wireless do not. There are a few areas I go to, on rare occasion, where Visible and Total Wireless would not have coverage, but Cricket and AT&T would presumably work, according to their maps. It's a trade-off between better native coverage on Verizon or some roaming coverage on AT&T.

At the time I moved to Total Wireless I did not have AT&T coverage at my house. Now they must have turned on a new cell because their coverage is much improved in the past two weeks.

Name:  st.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  25.0 KB

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenhal View Post
    I think at&t would be better off served by combining cricket and prepaid. Split the price differences so prepaid gets a slight price drop and cricket would get a slight increase, but give everyone the features of prepaid. One brand, easier to manage, and would keep cricket customers from jumping ship.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    I think that AT&T bought Cricket so they can maintain separation between their own branded service and the low-cost alternative. But Cricket's no great deal anymore after they dropped their lower cost options. One issue in ending Cricket is that AT&T ran around selling all those franchises for Cricket stores. Would they refund the money that those store owners spent, including the lease costs? Or would they let all those franchise locations to start selling AT&T service?

Feedback Score
    I think that AT&T bought Cricket so they can maintain separation between their own branded service and the low-cost alternative. But Cricket's no great deal anymore after they dropped their lower cost options. One issue in ending Cricket is that AT&T ran around selling all those franchises for Cricket stores. Would they refund the money that those store owners spent, including the lease costs? Or would they let all those franchise locations to start selling AT&T service?
    The thought behind the separation of brands is they are appealing to a different customer base. Let's take Tmobile, Tmobile prepaid is supposed to appeal to those who are looking for TMobile ervice, but, for whatever reason don't sign up for postpaid. They offer really no phone subsidies, no real port in specials, nothing like that. Metro is supposed to appeal to the "mvno" type customer. They offer port in specials, phone subsidies, and low cost service. The problem is, that customer is turning out to be the same, and the lines are starting to get blurred some. It basically started as a brand separation and the carrier offering 2 separate brands, for 2 separate customers, I'm not sure that thought process though still holds up.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    The thought behind the separation of brands is they are appealing to a different customer base. Let's take Tmobile, Tmobile prepaid is supposed to appeal to those who are looking for TMobile ervice, but, for whatever reason don't sign up for postpaid. They offer really no phone subsidies, no real port in specials, nothing like that. Metro is supposed to appeal to the "mvno" type customer. They offer port in specials, phone subsidies, and low cost service. The problem is, that customer is turning out to be the same, and the lines are starting to get blurred some. It basically started as a brand separation and the carrier offering 2 separate brands, for 2 separate customers, I'm not sure that thought process though still holds up.
    Prepaid used to be for low-income people or criminals that wanted burner phones. But now, a prepaid MVNO with auto-payment from a credit card is largely indistinguishable from postpaid for many users, though postpaid does tend to offer quite a few extra features that some customers find useful. These include Wi-Fi calling, domestic and international roaming, and hotspot, though prepaid providers are starting to offer some of these features.

Feedback Score
    Prepaid used to be for low-income people or criminals that wanted burner phones. But now, a prepaid MVNO with auto-payment from a credit card is largely indistinguishable from postpaid for many users, though postpaid does tend to offer quite a few extra features that some customers find useful. These include Wi-Fi calling, domestic and international roaming, and hotspot, though prepaid providers are starting to offer some of these features.
    Yea, the lines between prepaid and postpaid, and even between prepaid brands offered by the same carrier, have definitely gotten blurred.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR 128 GB white ( sim free)
    Carrier(s)
    Visible Mobile $25
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    You do need to believe the horror stories about Visible. It is a total crap shoot. Some have good experiences some not so good and many disasters. A friend of mine ported a number no problem. His wife ported a month later and was without service for 10 days and support is about non-existent.

Sent from my SM-T720 using HoFo mobile app
    You are correct in some part but i can say that Visible is a great service now if you do it right. My experience has been fantastic and now i will only pay $25 a month due to Visible party pay, with unlimited everything plus free hotspot and volte, wifi calling, i think it is very hard to beat on Verizon network.
    The easiest way is BYOP unlocked newer iPhones with latest update, and followed activation instruction religiously, whole process top 15 min to get all confirmations through the computer system once SIM arrived free. Again free.
    Most of the problems are mostly Android phones, people put sim card wrong time, open app wrong time, did not activate account via email verification beforehand, you can not skip instructions at all. This is computer-run service, once things does not go through correctly, horror stories will follow. This is based on my observation.
    The key is once SIM activated , you are in, period. You can pop your sim into new iphone if you get a new one, same process like Cricket for changing phone.
    I just do not miss Cricket and no plan to port out of Visible unless my service goes south like Cricket . Very unlikely, cause Visible really improves significantly, i can see how significant they are going to be incoming years as they are 100% Verizon owned like Cricket but operated totally differently.
    Service is fantastic especially for $25/month and cheaper than my old Cricket line$35 that has no hotspot, capped 8 mbps
    Just my two cents. I know people have so many different experiences, but to YMMV.
    Happy holidays. Cheers.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mtr999 View Post
    You are correct in some part but i can say that Visible is a great service now if you do it right. My experience has been fantastic and now i will only pay $25 a month due to Visible party pay, with unlimited everything plus free hotspot and volte, wifi calling, i think it is very hard to beat on Verizon network.
    The easiest way is BYOP unlocked newer iPhones with latest update, and followed activation instruction religiously, whole process top 15 min to get all confirmations through the computer system once SIM arrived free. Again free.
    Most of the problems are mostly Android phones, people put sim card wrong time, open app wrong time, did not activate account via email verification beforehand, you can not skip instructions at all. This is computer-run service, once things does not go through correctly, horror stories will follow. This is based on my observation.
    The key is once SIM activated , you are in, period. You can pop your sim into new iphone if you get a new one, same process like Cricket for changing phone.
    I just do not miss Cricket and no plan to port out of Visible unless my service goes south like Cricket . Very unlikely, cause Visible really improves significantly, i can see how significant they are going to be incoming years as they are 100% Verizon owned like Cricket but operated totally differently.
    Service is fantastic especially for $25/month and cheaper than my old Cricket line$35 that has no hotspot, capped 8 mbps
    Just my two cents. I know people have so many different experiences, but to YMMV.
    Happy holidays. Cheers.
    Not selling Visible in stores is a smart move.

I feel bad for those people that went out and bought a Cricket franchise and are spending all that money on rent, labor, utilities, etc., and then have a) Cricket compete against them with online sales that are often cheaper and don't charge fees, and b) are being hurt by Cricket worsening their product offerings and driving customers away to other MVNOs.

Usually, but not always, the Cricket stores are in lower income areas. Maybe their target market is customers don't want to do everything online and are willing to pay more to be able to go to a physical store.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Visible Mobile $25
    Feedback Score

I feel bad for those people that went out and bought a Cricket franchise and are spending all that money on rent, labor, utilities, etc., and then have a) Cricket compete against them with online sales that are often cheaper and don't charge fees, and b) are being hurt by Cricket worsening their product offerings and driving customers away to other MVNOs.

Usually, but not always, the Cricket stores are in lower income areas. Maybe their target market is customers don't want to do everything online and are willing to pay more to be able to go to a physical store.
    True....now when will you port to Visible? Out of curiosity
    Happy holidays
    Cheers

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    True....now when will you port to Visible? Out of curiosity
    Apparently my physical SIM slot has become the test spot for various services these days (AT&T on eSIM)—I'm checking out Visible. I was trying the Cricket More plan (paid for service with a ported-in number to get a discounted device for a family member, and wanted to see how bad automatic-deprioritization was in my area—I was considering moving family members off of the 3Mbps grandfathered plan). Rather than letting the line expire, I thought I'd take advantage of Visible's referral and pay-for-two-months-get-$100 promo. I figure that it would be a worthwhile educational experiment, as I haven't done anything with Verizon in the past.

An hour in, I'm seeing adequate speeds (usually hitting 3-20Mbps at home), which were not quite as good as Cricket, but not terrible either. Pings are much higher (90ms seems to be where they hover, while Cricket and AT&T hang around in the 20-30ms area). I knew most of this going in, but it's kind of nice to check this out without worrying about my main number being involved.

Feedback Score
    Most of the problems are mostly Android phones, people put sim card wrong time, open app wrong time, did not activate account via email verification beforehand, you can not skip instructions at all. This is computer-run service, once things does not go through correctly, horror stories will follow.
    In this day and age, if your cell phone service business model relies on "the consumer must absolutely follow each of the 15 steps precisely with zero room for error," you've massively screwed it all up.

On second thought, what you describe sounds exactly what Verizon would set up. "Our way or the highway. We don't care. We're Verizon."

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Majority of customers are not tech savvy and need their hands held for most things. This is the reason mothership stores thrive (vzw,att, tmo). Same with prepaid. People save some money, but not as much compared to if they did everything themselves.

You're right about the low income factor. Look at the boost stores. Rare to see one in an affluent area.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Visible Mobile $25
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    In this day and age, if your cell phone service business model relies on "the consumer must absolutely follow each of the 15 steps precisely with zero room for error," you've massively screwed it all up.

On second thought, what you describe sounds exactly what Verizon would set up. "Our way or the highway. We don't care. We're Verizon."
    $25 a month each all of us happy, everything works, unlimited everything ,Verizon way or highway is fine for us. No sacasm
    Happy holidays

Feedback Score
    $25 a month each all of us happy, everything works, unlimited everything ,Verizon way or highway is fine for us. No sacasm
    Happy holidays
    Oh, yeah--not only must you follow the 15 steps exactly and precisely as Verizon intended (but didn't necessarily document correctly), you must ALSO use either (a) a modern iPhone, or (b) one of the few Android handsets they've decided to bless.

"Verizon: it's our way or the highway."

Not too many people will dump their handsets and buy new just to save five bucks using a Verizon service.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    Oh, yeah--not only must you follow the 15 steps exactly and precisely as Verizon intended (but didn't necessarily document correctly), you must ALSO use either (a) a modern iPhone, or (b) one of the few Android handsets they've decided to bless.

"Verizon: it's our way or the highway."

Not too many people will dump their handsets and buy new just to save five bucks using a Verizon service.
    adam1991, I can appreciate where you're coming from. I was the biggest Verizon-hater about 10-15 years ago. While the service may have been rock-solid, I didn't care for their custom firmwares on phones that disabled things like Bluetooth file transfer and just the annoyances and carrier control of CDMA provisioning in general. Nonetheless, I did recognize that the service worked well for some people. The same could be said for Sprint—lousy service in my area and some backwards policies, but I know some people who are getting great service at a good price. Heck, even Xfinity Mobile can be a great value and perform well if you're fine with bringing more business to Comcast…I know some people that wouldn't go near it for that reason. Metro has its fans, but the SIM-tied-to-IMEI and going to a store to set up service nonsense aren't for me.

The point is, there's a lot of services that people either love, put up with, or hate and for different reasons. In my area, both AT&T and Cricket are pretty darn good and it's going to take a lot for Visible to keep my business with this test line, so I'm certainly not advocating that everyone switch because it's the new exciting service. That being said, at this point, iPhone support goes back to the 6, which is a 5 year old device, and Android support is getting better, but the same could be said about AT&T/Cricket's support for BYOD Android and VoLTE/Wi-Fi calling.

Like many have suspected, Visible is probably a mix of a few things for Verizon proper—trying direct sales of service, working out the kinks for when they shut down CDMA, and finding what a good mix of features/capabilities are for someone who maybe doesn't need everything and anything on their plan. It's pretty obvious that it's not fully-baked, but has expanded and grown since the early iPhone-only days. If it checks the boxes for you, great, but if not, there's plenty of other options, even on Verizon's network.

AT&T seems to be in panic mode lately, between trying to pay down debt, running systems with the bare minimum, and raising prices in different areas (and don't get me started with their TV side of things). While I'm still satisfied with AT&T/Cricket service in my area, it's nice to see what else is around in case things start to really go sideways. This thread is maybe jumping the gun on Cricket being lousy, but it's nice to have options.

As for the 15 steps that you keep mentioning, I just activated (a ported number no-less) and it seemed like most other carriers, acknowledge that you received the SIM, pop the SIM in, restart phone. After following /r/Visible for the better part of a year, there have been people who have had hellacious experiences, but mine was no better or no worse than just about everything else I've tried (have AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint accounts at work, have used AT&T, Cricket, T-Mobile, and FreedomPop personally).

I've paid for a month, if I keep it another month, I'll be eligible for the $100 Mastercard prepaid card, and then I'll decide longer-term. Even then, I'd still come out ahead and get a good feel for where this service is going.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast