Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Default roaming partner for Canada?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newfoundlander1 View Post
    Just curious which Canadian carrier is the default roaming partner when you guys come to visit? I know you can usually do a manual network scan and select whichever one you’d prefer but which network does your phone seem to favour without doing this:

AT&T - ?
    Verizon - ?
    Sprint - ?
    T-Mobile - ?
    One more thing to remember, there isn't a single roaming partner for all of Canada. The roaming carrier may differ, depending on where the user is travelling.

In my experience near the Canada/NY border, I would roam on Rogers with At&t, Sprint, Verizon (I have switched providers over the past 13 years).
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Yes, you can request manual selection if not already enabled for roaming in Canada with At&t. Until 2016 I was an International CS/technical rep for At&t. There was no additional cost and once enabled on a handset, there was no need to call to enable for subsequent trips unless the phone had been replaced since the last trip.
    It doesn't matter your handset replacement or not.
    It is a SIM feature for disabling manual selection service provider.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    If the phone is updated, a new request to allow manual selection in Canada is required. I worked on the At&t international team for almost 2 years. I did have direct access to At&t's applications that are used to enable the feature. I do understand the process. Don't forget that the overwhelming majority of users have a new SIM provisioned, instead of swapping the SIM between handsets when they upgrade their phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    If the phone is updated, a new request to allow manual selection in Canada is required. I worked on the At&t international team for almost 2 years. I did have direct access to At&t's applications that are used to enable the feature. I do understand the process. Don't forget that the overwhelming majority of users have a new SIM provisioned, instead of swapping the SIM between handsets when they upgrade their phone.
    I had AT&T postpaid up until 2017 and made the call "just in case" when I added the Mexico and Canada Roaming Bonuses to my account. Since iPhones follow what the carrier dictates, manual network selection was disabled and a call (to presumably your area) fixed it. I didn't end up going to Canada at that time, so I couldn't verify how it would work.

About a year later, I had Cricket and when visiting Niagara Falls on the US side, my phone locked on Rogers briefly. This past October, I was visiting Toronto and Northern Ontario and had AT&T Prepaid and was on Rogers the entire time. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to enable manual network selection for Cricket or AT&T Prepaid...I assume on the AT&T Prepaid side it could work the same (same SIM and carrier bundle as postpaid), but the mechanism may not exist on the account/customer service side.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I was in At&t international until the end of 2017. Funny that you mentioned it and most likely the request was sent through my team. I can't speak about Cricket or At&t prepaid as they are a completely different team/call center.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Gonna have to say not true. You would think it’s a sim dependent feature. But I’ve changed phones 3 times since I first called in to get manual network selection enabled and each time I got a new iPhone it disappeared and in had to call in to have it re-enabled. The reps told me each time that it did not show up and they had to add it. So at least with iPhones it seems to have something to do with the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by astrand1 View Post
    Gonna have to say not true. You would think it’s a sim dependent feature. But I’ve changed phones 3 times since I first called in to get manual network selection enabled and each time I got a new iPhone it disappeared and in had to call in to have it re-enabled. The reps told me each time that it did not show up and they had to add it. So at least with iPhones it seems to have something to do with the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    It is not my thinking.
    It is SIM OTA feature.
    I am not talking for Sprint or Verizon

Feedback Score
    Yes, you can request manual selection if not already enabled for roaming in Canada with At&t. Until 2016 I was an International CS/technical rep for At&t. There was no additional cost and once enabled on a handset, there was no need to call to enable for subsequent trips unless the phone had been replaced since the last trip.
    Can I call ATT and request manual selection for prepay (pay as you go) line? Do I need call every time when I switch SIM to another phone? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Black-Xstar View Post
    Can I call ATT and request manual selection for prepay (pay as you go) line? Do I need call every time when I switch SIM to another phone? Thanks.
    This is a SIM feature for one time OTA enable. You can swap the SIM to any unlocked phone (maybe not include iPhone)

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Black-Xstar View Post
    I don't think you can - I went in circles trying to get it done and finally was told by multiple areas that it's not possible for Prepaid accounts.

Feedback Score
    False, at&t phone's VoLTE not working either roaming partners

Went back up to Quebec yesterday and took the following picture showing VoLTE working on Bell on my 6s Plus.

https://imgur.com/zNWL4lt

Feedback Score
    The network is fine for steaming. I consistently get over 100 megabits on any of the three Canadian networks. As long as you’re not deep in the woods, your experience should be similar.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    For Prepaid, Western Canada (Lower Mainland BC):

AT&T/Cricket - Auto selects Rogers, manual select Bell and Telus
    T-mobile - Auto selects Bell, manual select Telus. (Rogers does not work)

No roaming on Freedom.
    No idea about Verizon and Sprint.
    That’s pretty cool your phone shows the connection type with the available networks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2