Thread: Postpaid vs Prepaid coverage map for MVNO's still a thing?

Carrier(s)
    H20
    Feedback Score

Postpaid vs Prepaid coverage map for MVNO's still a thing?

I remember a few years ago where most AT&T MVNO's were based on the AT&T prepaid coverage map with Straight talk and Consumer Cellular being the exception where they had full reign on the postpaid towers. Is this still the way it works? What about other providers like VZW TM and Sprint?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjr1105 View Post
    I remember a few years ago where most AT&T MVNO's were based on the AT&T prepaid coverage map with Straight talk and Consumer Cellular being the exception where they had full reign on the postpaid towers. Is this still the way it works? What about other providers like VZW TM and Sprint?
    Sprint still has major holes when you consider roaming. Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile now offer a small allotment of roaming minutes a month at least. The other carriers have about 90% of the coverage prepaid vs. postpaid. It's worth comparing the maps for the areas you'll frequent, but it's nothing crazy anymore like losing half of the USA in coverage if you choose prepaid over postpaid.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    It is still a thing.

And I don't think Straight Talk ever provided the full reign on the postpaid network. In some cases, they may support voice/text, but no data. Such as when my brother in law was driving to Nebraska for work. Now, looking, it appears that the coverage in Nebraska is still worse compared to ATT postpaid.

For the Verizon network, there are chunks of Oklahoma, for example (NW and SE) where many MVNOs don't provide coverage since they are Verizon roaming partners in those areas.

The difficulty is sometimes the maps on MVNOs look old, so I don't know exactly how accurate they are.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    Yes, the MVNO providers for the most part still don't have roaming. In some cases the major carriers have limited roaming for their own Prepaid customers. Many running on Verizon in fringe areas are concerned about the end of CDMA next year, as they don't have a good LTE signal.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I can afford it, and have the extra phones (older models), but there is a reason I keep a couple lines on Red Pocket. 1 on the ATT network, 1 on the Verizon network. Along with my main line on postpaid T-Mobile (so I can have a watch line in case of emergency). Only $10/month for those 100 minute/month plans.