Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Complications (of my own making) with the $30 HSN Moto E5 bundle – please help!

Feedback Score
    So after reading loboheeler above, I'm idly starting to ask myself if there is a way to "have my cake and eat it too"

So suppose I activate the phone on Verizon using the 6 steps.
    Then, after a few days, get on Chat and try to wrangle a replacement AT&T sim -- NOT a byop sim because I know from bitter experience that a byop sim doesn't count for getting a phone unlocked.
    Suppose Tracfone actually does send me an AT&T sim.

Then the million-dollar question for me is -- Will that sim be "married" to my E5 after I activate it?
    Because if the answer is yes, then I'll get usable service, AND the phone will be eligible for unlocking after 12 months.

Does that sound too ambitious?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I think the OP paid $30 on HSN for that bundle. You can’t buy a new unlocked Moto E5 for that amount. The fact that he can't use the bunled time is unfortunate, but he didn't plan it that way.
    Yes, very true! I have always wanted an unlocked phone and have never been able to afford any of them.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    Then, after a few days, get on Chat and try to wrangle a replacement AT&T sim --
    Suppose Tracfone actually does send me an AT&T sim.

Then the million-dollar question for me is -- Will that sim be "married" to my E5 after I activate it?
    Because if the answer is yes, then I'll get usable service, AND the phone will be eligible for unlocking after 12 months.
    LOGICALLY, if TF sends you an AT&T SIM to replace the originally paired Verizon SIM, then the AT&T SIM becomes the newly paired SIM and should not affect the unlocking eligibility. But, we can't be sure that TF will do things logically. Best to Chat with a rep and have the answer recorded/saved in the chat transcript.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    LOGICALLY, if TF sends you an AT&T SIM to replace the originally paired Verizon SIM, then the AT&T SIM becomes the newly paired SIM and should not affect the unlocking eligibility. But, we can't be sure that TF will do things logically. Best to Chat with a rep and have the answer recorded/saved in the chat transcript.
    Hmm, I wonder how I should phrase that crucial question about unlocking eligibility so that Chat will be able to understand what I'm asking.

And can the responses given by Chat be fully trusted / enforced?

Feedback Score
    Ready for this topic to turn into 20 pages if OP gets an AT&T SIM from TF.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    If driving to an area with Verizon coverage works to activate the phone please let us know. I have a bundle that I can't activate.
    I was told that my G6 would only work with Verizon and they couldn't send me a ATT sim, good luck with that. I am using a BYOP att sim with no problems.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Hmm, I wonder how I should phrase that crucial question about unlocking eligibility so that Chat will be able to understand what I'm asking.

And can the responses given by Chat be fully trusted / enforced?
    In the past the Tracfone CSR`s word meant nothing to Tracfone management. They even blamed the customer for tricking the CSR into going outside of Company policy.

What does unlocking means to you? The DL model phones are unlocked for use within the Tracfone body of Companies, they are only locked for use outside the Tracfone Family of Companies. The DL Phones are not SIM locked nor are the radios for AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile locked. You only need to unlock it if you plan to use it away from a Tracfone Company. I am currently using a Simple Mobile E5 with a Tracfone AT&T BYOP SIM. I also have used it with a TF Verizon SIM swapped from a Tracfone Alcatel TCL.

Feedback Score
    Y'all are acting like this is a good high end phone or something..I don't get the rationale.

Sent from my LML211BL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    In the past the Tracfone CSR`s word meant nothing to Tracfone management. They even blamed the customer for tricking the CSR into going outside of Company policy.
    That is quite scary. Maybe I should abandon my ambitious plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    What does unlocking means to you? The DL model phones are unlocked for use within the Tracfone body of Companies, they are only locked for use outside the Tracfone Family of Companies. The DL Phones are not SIM locked nor are the radios for AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile locked. You only need to unlock it if you plan to use it away from a Tracfone Company. I am currently using a Simple Mobile E5 with a Tracfone AT&T BYOP SIM. I also have used it with a TF Verizon SIM swapped from a Tracfone Alcatel TCL.
    For me, Unlocked means a phone that I can use on any carrier and any mvno of my choice. My dream is to be able to have one phone that I can use on AT&T, TMo, Sprint, Verizon, and any of their MVNOs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Ready for this topic to turn into 20 pages if OP gets an AT&T SIM from TF.
    OP here. Yeah, I'm starting to think my plan for "having my cake and eating it too" is getting too ambitious!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Senkoboy View Post
    If driving to an area with Verizon coverage works to activate the phone please let us know. I have a bundle that I can't activate.
    I'm worried now. My plan is to activate the phone by telling them the phone will be used in a zip that has good Verizon coverage. Then drive to an area that has good coverage and make that phone call to activate the phone. Is this unlikely to work?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    My plan is to activate the phone by telling them the phone will be used in a zip that has good Verizon coverage. Then drive to an area that has good coverage and make that phone call to activate the phone. Is this unlikely to work?
    I don't see why that will not work.

Feedback Score
    Think of it this way:

Probably, "unlocking" means that the phone will tolerate a non-Tracfone-company SIM.

But, the new company from which you want to get service must be accepting of the phone.

Anything to do with Verizon and Sprint is doubtful to work.

Feedback Score
    Received the phone. Any do's and dont's I should keep in mind? Like removing the sim before powering it on, or something else?
    TIA.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Received the phone. Any do's and dont's I should keep in mind? Like removing the sim before powering it on, or something else?
    Since you want to use the phone with its original SIM (to qualify for unlocking) anyway, I don't see any harm in powering it on with the SIM in place. At least you'll see if it shows any signal bars. You can also install/run the Network Signal Info app to see the signal strength with Verizon. Touch the middle of the screen to change the measurement display from bars to a dial-and-needle.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast