Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Complications (of my own making) with the $30 HSN Moto E5 bundle – please help!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Since Tracfone Smartphones do not roam, how can you tell if the signal being analyzed is not from a Verizon roaming partner? The app only says - "Sim Operator": Verizon Wireless
    Above the "Sim operator:" listing is "Net. operator:", which should be the actual carrier providing the signal.

Feedback Score
    Thanks hpham, I think you have solved my mystery for me. My zip only shows 3G/1X Coverage. And nope, I don't get VoLTE service on the phone. So that's probably why Tracfone thinks there is no Verizon coverage in my zip, because of the lack of VoLTE probably.

I have read about Verizon going fully to VoLTE, and that they won't be allowing non-VoLTE phones. Will that impact my new Moto E5? Especially since I don't get VoLTE service on the phone? (As you can tell, I am totally ignorant on this topic).

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    It could be that Verizon recently installed new towers or improved the service in your area but TF never updated their zip code database. Use the instructions here to check Verizon coverage for your area. If you don't mind, give us your zip code (alter the last digit slightly if you want) so we can check it too.

Are you getting VoLTE service on the new phone? If you don't know how to check that, I can re-post the instructions. Basically checking to see if you can access an online web site with WiFi OFF, Data ON, WHILE A CALL IS IN PROGRESS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Above the "Sim operator:" listing is "Net. operator:", which should be the actual carrier providing the signal.
    I seem to remember that too was listed as Verizon (before activation). It also said CDMA, from what I remember.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    IF Verizon were to shut down CDMA in your area, the Verizon SIM would no longer work locally in the E5. For unlocking, you really need the insurance of activating the E5 someplace that has VoLTE service so VoLTE gets enabled, so nothing interrupts the 12 Months of use without changes (the ability to use it every 6 months to keep it active). If your area never gets VoLTE, and CDMA is shut down, after unlocking you will need to activate an AT&T SIM to use the E5 locally.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    My zip only shows 3G/1X Coverage. And nope, I don't get VoLTE service on the phone. So that's probably why Tracfone thinks there is no Verizon coverage in my zip, because of the lack of VoLTE probably.

I have read about Verizon going fully to VoLTE, and that they won't be allowing non-VoLTE phones. Will that impact my new Moto E5? Especially since I don't get VoLTE service on the phone?
    My guess is that the SIM in your E5 is enabled for VoLTE. Go to the area with LTE coverage and redo the test. Also, check the phone's Network setting for an option to use LTE "for enhanced voice service" or similar wording. The screenshots below are of my Simple Mobile Moto E5 with a VoLTE TF/Verizon BYOP SIM.

If Verizon maintains 3G service at your location until end of 2020 as planned, then you'll have met the 12-month requirement by the time they drop 3G support. You just have to use the phone with a GSM carrier at your location after getting the phone unlocked.

Name:  Moto-E5-APN-Settings-13.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  24.6 KB

Name:  Moto-E5-APN-Settings-14.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  21.3 KB

Name:  Moto-E5-APN-Settings-15.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  28.3 KB
    Last edited by hpham; 12-20-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the screenshots, hpham. I looked on my E5. Enhanced 4G LTE Mode is on, like yours. But the preferred network type is “Global”.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the screenshots, hpham. I looked on my E5. Enhanced 4G LTE Mode is on, like yours. But the preferred network type is “Global”.
    "Global" is fine. My first 2 screenshots were taken before the SIM was enabled for VoLTE, so Global was not an option, and there was no option for Enhanced 4G LTE Mode in those 2 shots.

As it is, your situation is not that dire. You can continue to use the E5 on Verizon's 3G at your home. When and if Verizon drops support for 3G at your location before end of 2020, just go to the other location with LTE service now and then to make a phone call until the 12 months have passed.

Feedback Score
    You can also dial *#*#4636#*#* and wait for a Testing screen to show up. Tap "Phone information" and scroll down a bit to find the field "VoLTE Provisioned" to see if the phone is provisioned for VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    On the E5, is there a way to unlock your screen without using the power button (and without using the fingerprint scanner)?

I tried doing what I used to do on my Moto E2 - just swiping up after the clock shows up on the lock screen - but that doesn't seem to work 99% of the time. Seems like I have to swipe up at just the exact, split-second, right time for the screen to unlock - and most of the time I can't catch the exact second to swipe up.

Anyone else have that problem? Any tips? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    On the E5, is there a way to unlock your screen without using the power button (and without using the fingerprint scanner)?
    Doesn't the fingerprint sensor unlock/wake up the screen? It does on the Motos with front mounted sensors. Yes, there is not much time to do the upward swipe to wake it up.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Doesn't the fingerprint sensor unlock/wake up the screen?
    It does, but the OP prefers not to use it. I don't like it either because the fingerprint reader on my Moto E5 is so hit-and-miss. You can set it to use a PIN. I simply set screen lock to None.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    It does, but the OP prefers not to use it. I don't like it either because the fingerprint reader on my Moto E5 is so hit-and-miss. You can set it to use a PIN. I simply set screen lock to None.
    The E5 seems devoid of some useful features compared to other Moto models made in the last few years. The E4,G5,G6 have a front fingerprint sensor that has One Finger Navigation and screen lock/unlock. As Charlton Heston famously said "only out of my cold dead hands will you take away my...."
    Last edited by loboheeler; 12-20-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Feedback Score
    Yes, there is not much time to do the upward swipe to wake it up.
    Good to know I'm not the only one having problems with that upward swipe. Used to work pretty well on the Moto E2.

Another thing where the E2 was better, in my opinion, than the E5 -- the default "Moto" ringtone. The "boom boom" default ringtone on the E2 was my favorite. On the E5, I saw a "Moto" ringtone listed, and was pretty thrilled -- but it turned out to be a disappointing 'hello Moto' ringtone - not at all like the boom-boom ringtone on the E2 :-(

While I'm at it, another gripe I have about my new E5 is this message that keeps popping up every time I touch the square open windows button - "Touch and hold a window then drag here to use split screen”. OK, OK got it, don't keep repeating the message! I even dragged windows and put them there, just to humor it, several times, hoping it would understand that I got it. No dice. Silly message still keeps popping up every time. Is there some app I need to disable? Or some setting I can turn off? TIA.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

I tried doing what I used to do on my Moto E2 - just swiping up after the clock shows up on the lock screen - but that doesn't seem to work 99% of the time. Seems like I have to swipe up at just the exact, split-second, right time for the screen to unlock - and most of the time I can't catch the exact second to swipe up.

Anyone else have that problem? Any tips? Thanks!
    While the clock is showing put your finger on the very bottom of the screen and swipe upward all the way to the very top as quickly as possible, it will unlock and take you to the home screen. Works flawlessly on my E4 and E5.

Feedback Score
    While I'm at it, another gripe I have about my new E5 is this message that keeps popping up every time I touch the square open windows button - "Touch and hold a window then drag here to use split screen”. OK, OK got it, don't keep repeating the message! I even dragged windows and put them there, just to humor it, several times, hoping it would understand that I got it. No dice. Silly message still keeps popping up every time. Is there some app I need to disable? Or some setting I can turn off? TIA.
    I'm pretty sure that nothing can be done about that.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast