Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Legacy PayGo -- how to make it actually useful

Device(s)
    Motorola v195s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've paid $422 in refills ($460 refill cards) covering 12.5 years. This averages to $2.81/month to keep the line alive and talk is not limited to 30 minutes/month. Cost is almost similar to the $3/month plan that I wouldn't be too upset if they forced me to switch to it.

Since the national emergency was announced, T-Mobile hasn't been charging me for the few text messages I have made. I had a 1 minute call that was charged $.10 instead of the usual $.13.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I thought I would give my Legacy Gold Rewards line a spin today, and though I didn't try a call or a text, I switched on data, which I haven't done since losing the data ability of the modded Opera Mini app. My phone doesn't have LTE, but will connect Edge to HSPA+ (I have a tower near me that'll do Edge).

Anyway, switched on data, and was able to open Chrome and do searches with no problem, but it wouldn't load any websites. Ah, well...

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Would the old SIM card from the $10/yr plan work on one of these $15 or $25 plans (in a newer handset of course)? I'd have to cut it down from mini (full size) to micro or nano, but that's not an issue.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus, FreedomPop, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    As you say, that phone only has 3G or 2G, which TMO barely has any signal left for (on higher frequency band).

If you switched it to a current phone (even a cheap one), it would have low Band 12 (and maybe Band 71), plus VoLTE. That would use all TMO's bands, have better range and coverage, and maybe some roaming restored also.
    Probably true, but would I still be able to keep my grandfathered plan, or would T-M switch me to one of the newer plans?
    (I don't know if the SIM is compatible with anything new)

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBard57 View Post
    Probably true, but would I still be able to keep my grandfathered plan, or would T-M switch me to one of the newer plans?
    (I don't know if the SIM is compatible with anything new)
    Years ago, I switched from a flip-phone to a VoLTE smart phone, without issue. I just got a new triple-cut SIM and asked them to switch to the new SIM, the plan did not change. I popped the SIM into a new phone and everything was fine, VoLTE worked, and when I put the SIM in a WiFi-calling capable phone, that set itself up, too.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus, FreedomPop, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for the information!

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I thought I would give my Legacy Gold Rewards line a spin today, and though I didn't try a call or a text, I switched on data, which I haven't done since losing the data ability of the modded Opera Mini app. My phone doesn't have LTE, but will connect Edge to HSPA+ (I have a tower near me that'll do Edge).

Anyway, switched on data, and was able to open Chrome and do searches with no problem, but it wouldn't load any websites. Ah, well...
    There is no data on Legacy Gold Rewards.

Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Well, stranger things have happened, and talk in this thread has implied they've opened things up during this health emergency and that the Legacy lines aren't even being deducted for talk time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Well, stranger things have happened, and talk in this thread has implied they've opened things up during this health emergency and that the Legacy lines aren't even being deducted for talk time.
    My Legacy Gold lines are not having anything deducted.
    I've made a few 90 minute calls and the balance remains the same.

I got a few T-Mobile SIM cards free at the cell phone kiosk at Costco a month or so ago.
    The SIM cards in my Lumia 640 are micro SIM cards and I want to switch to different phones at some point in the future.
    Nokia 3.1 and Moto e6.
    Both of these use nano SIM cards and I don't want to mess with cutting them down.

Sent from my Monstrous Moto e5

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto G7, Iphone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Speakout, Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    A question on the 3/month prepaid. I ran out of $ bal on one account got from my sister-in-law. Left it for 2 months and then added $10. It came back as of this month not the January when the balance was too low. Can one let the balance run out and wait about 12 months or at least 6 or so and then add funds and it will carry on?
    Anyone know when it would end if balance is less than $3 and no funds added?

Upon searching a bit more Ultramobile says if a payment is not made after 90 days of insufficient balance the number is lost...so it appears you could pay $10 for 3 months then wait almost 3 months if you are a "tourist" like me and not heading back to the US right away. ????Anyone confirm this would apply to the grandfathered T-mobile accounts?

Feedback Score
    Just topped up my 2 Legacy Gold Rewards lines.

CallingMart.

Worked great.
    Had the new balance on my accounts within minutes.

Yes there is a $1 fee but I didn't have to chase down a deal with a new company.

I did get a 1% discount since I was signed into my account when I ordered the refills.

Now I don't have to think about it for a year.

I'm going to let my $3 a month plan fade away when I use up the balance.

It gets annoying keeping track of these phone lines.

Sent from my Luscious LG Fiesta 2

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I just noticed last week that my $3/month plan is not getting deducted for voice calls. Not sure about texts.

Sent from my moto x4 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by millept View Post
    I just noticed last week that my $3/month plan is not getting deducted for voice calls. Not sure about texts.

Sent from my moto x4 using HoFo mobile app
    Yep texts and minutes are not being deducted from the $3 a month plan or the Legacy Gold Rewards lines.
    I've been making several 90 minute calls for a few months now and the balance is exactly the same.

I read that T-Mobile is doing this for the customers during the shut down.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    Yep texts and minutes are not being deducted from the $3 a month plan or the Legacy Gold Rewards lines.
    I've been making several 90 minute calls for a few months now and the balance is exactly the same.

I read that T-Mobile is doing this for the customers during the shut down.

On my legacy Gold Rewards account I'm not charged for calls or SMS texts but I am getting charged 25˘ for MMS picture messages.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    On my legacy Gold Rewards account I'm not charged for calls or SMS texts but I am getting charged 25˘ for MMS picture messages.
    That's another reason I love using Google Voice.

I send and receive a ton of pictures every single day and they all come through and send free to and from whatever phone I'm using because I have Google Voice installed on all of my Android phones and devices.

I rarely use actual texts on any of my phones since Google Voice works so well for me.

I have and use a lot of different phones.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast