Thread: Wifi calling or google voice?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    1. No.
    2. 0.7MB/min ROUGH estimate.
    3. I have successfully used Hangouts for both calls and messaging on my cell phone using a T-Mobile data only SIM at 128Kbps after I used up my LTE allotment. I was shocked that voice calls worked so well for phone calls at 128Kbps.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    OK, digesting this discussion here's a couple questions for you pros.

1. Does an inactive phone need a SIM in it for any of this to work strictly wifi ? (I wouldn't think so)

2. How much data does a GV wifi call use ? This is may be tough to answer since most of you use your unlimited home wifi or public wifi. My case (which I won't bore you with) is need to use a HotSpot for any wifi at home. The data cost may not be worth the effort.

3. Is there a minimum of how much Mbps my wifi would need to be capable of for the GV to work even reasonably?

Thanks

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Most sensibly designed user interfaces, like a native Phone app and both the GV and Hangouts app, have some method for bringing up a dial pad while in-call (like a waffle icon that represents it). The phone lights up when you pull it away from your face, you hit that icon, number pad appears, you hit the desired key for selecting an action or service. Does take a bit of coordination to get it swift and smooth if you're new to the moves.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    @rpz1:

Thank goodness Boz1 beat me to it!

Feedback Score
    OK, digesting this discussion here's a couple questions for you pros.

1. Does an inactive phone need a SIM in it for any of this to work strictly wifi ? (I wouldn't think so)
    No, it doesn't. I have an old LG G3 (VS985) that can't detect the presence of the SIM card now and I use it for GV and, mostly, Skype at home.

2. How much data does a GV wifi call use ? This is may be tough to answer since most of you use your unlimited home wifi or public wifi. My case (which I won't bore you with) is need to use a HotSpot for any wifi at home. The data cost may not be worth the effort.
    According to this guy's estimation (https://www.cranialborborygmus.com/f...or-dummies.htm), it is about .55mb/minute. I actually did a measurement when I had FreedomPop but I deleted all my FreedomPop files/records when I closed my FreedomPop account (and went with FreeUP).
    3. Is there a minimum of how much Mbps my wifi would need to be capable of for the GV to work even reasonably?
    I don't know. Hope someone will chime in.

Feedback Score

Thanks
    I'm grandfathered in an "economy" internet package with my cable company and average about 2 Mbps download and 0.35 Mbps upload speeds. Google voice works fine using my wifi coming off that internet connection.

Feedback Score
    Thanks @Boz and everyone else for your answers to my questions. Those are great answers. That's dirt cheap even using my Hotspot. Based on my low usage I could get one of my old phones set up and use it at home on my Hotspot and just buy the $10 PPC PayGo plan for my regular cell needs. I get about 10-15 Mbps on my HS and at even 1MB per minute use and for about $10GB on the HS that's only 1 cent a minute. If my math's right). I'll need to go through the thread and get the instructions right to set things up.
    Is there a charge for GV or Hangouts app on PlayStore or any other recurring fees ? In case I need to pickup a Prepaid PlayStore card next time I'm at the store.

Thanks again gang !

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Is there a charge for GV or Hangouts app on PlayStore or any other recurring fees ?
    No charge to download/use those apps.

Feedback Score
    Thanks @Boz and everyone else for your answers to my questions. Those are great answers. That's dirt cheap even using my Hotspot. Based on my low usage I could get one of my old phones set up and use it at home on my Hotspot and just buy the $10 PPC PayGo plan for my regular cell needs. I get about 10-15 Mbps on my HS and at even 1MB per minute use and for about $10GB on the HS that's only 1 cent a minute. If my math's right). I'll need to go through the thread and get the instructions right to set things up.
    Is there a charge for GV or Hangouts app on PlayStore or any other recurring fees ? In case I need to pickup a Prepaid PlayStore card next time I'm at the store.

Thanks again gang !
    Try GV over the hotspot and let us know how well it works. I have tried it with my hotspot and it isn't very reliable for me - probably too much latency, packet loss, jitter.

Google Voice service and the Google Voice and Hangout apps are free.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FT_VZW View Post
    Yes, I have a GV number. I will try it out tomorrow. Thanks a lot!
    I tried it out, and it works. Made a few test calls, and no minutes were subtracted.
    Nice!

Feedback Score
    Ok, more questions of what to expect. First off I don't have anything set up in my google account...like sync stuff, contacts, etc. I don't even use my google email. I only have one google account which is used on my 2-3 phones. I really only have it from when I first set up my first android phone many years ago and that's what I use whenever I get a new phone to setup.

1. I downloaded the GV, and Hangouts Dialer app. Hangouts was already on the phone but when I open them, (Hangouts and Hangouts Dialer) they appear to be the same thing. Do I need both Hangouts? I know it was mentioned that GV itself now has a dialer too but some of you still use the hangouts dialer.
    2. When I set up a google voice number will that show in my account ?
    3. Will anything else in my account change that I really don't have setup now and really don't want?
    4. If I ever put the GV app on another phone, will it just use that same phone number in my account or is a different number created unique to the app installed on a specific phone?

Thanks for now.

Feedback Score
    Ok, more questions of what to expect. First off I don't have anything set up in my google account...like sync stuff, contacts, etc. I don't even use my google email. I only have one google account which is used on my 2-3 phones. I really only have it from when I first set up my first android phone many years ago and that's what I use whenever I get a new phone to setup.

1. I downloaded the GV, and Hangouts Dialer app. Hangouts was already on the phone but when I open them, (Hangouts and Hangouts Dialer) they appear to be the same thing. Do I need both Hangouts? I know it was mentioned that GV itself now has a dialer too but some of you still use the hangouts dialer.
    2. When I set up a google voice number will that show in my account ?
    3. Will anything else in my account change that I really don't have setup now and really don't want?
    4. If I ever put the GV app on another phone, will it just use that same phone number in my account or is a different number created unique to the app installed on a specific phone?

Thanks for now.
    1. Hangouts Dialer is required to be installed to enable calling with the app. Otherwise it is just a chat app. You can use either app icon after the dialer is installed.

2. It has been a long time since I set mine up so I don't recall, except that it was pretty straightforward. For Hangouts you will have to go in its settings and enable it to do calls. The default is off. In the GV app you will need to go in its settings and select if you want it to use Wifi & carrier or carrier only.

3. Not that I recall.

4. Hangouts and the GV app use the GV number that you have. I had the GV number for a long time before the apps. You can have Hangouts and/or the GV app on multiple phones all using the same GV number.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Try GV over the hotspot and let us know how well it works. I have tried it with my hotspot and it isn't very reliable for me - probably too much latency, packet loss, jitter.

Google Voice service and the Google Voice and Hangout apps are free.
    OK, so I looked up one person's opinion on what the difference is between a hot spot and wifi. I dont understand it but I can certainly see in the frame of reference of the radio I am holding in my hand that the more people using the "hotspot", say at Starbucks, more more loaded down their system will be.

"Difference between Wi-Fi and Hotspot
    Meaning
    Both Wi-Fi and hotspot are general terms used in conjunction with wireless internet access meaning they are the means of providing internet wirelessly, but they do it very differently. Wi-Fi is a wireless communication technology that allows you to build a wireless network based on Wi-Fi specifications and principles to gain seamless internet access. Hotspot, on the other hand, is a wireless access point, sort of like a physical location that provides internet access via wireless local area networks (WLAN).

Technology
    Wi-Fi is a wireless networking protocol that uses radio waves to provide network access to mobile devices based on the IEEE 802.11 standards. Like network cables, Wi-Fi is a wireless means to connect devices on a local area network. It’s more like a wireless local area network used to connect devices together without the cables. Hotspot refers to wireless access points that provides internet access from a physical location typically using the Wi-Fi.

Access
    Wi-Fi is like a closed access network where the owner of the network is in total control meaning he or she can choose who can or cannot access his or her Wi-Fi network. The owner can either change the Wi-Fi network or the password or even limit access to the network by controlling the number of clients that are connected to the network. They can even choose to turn the Wi-Fi router off to close access to the network. Hotspot venues are mostly airports, hotels, cafes, or streets, which are mostly free courtesy of the service providers.

Read more: Difference Between Wi-Fi and Hotspot | Difference Between http://www.differencebetween.net/tec...#ixzz68E7qJSfJ

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    OK, so I looked up one person's opinion on what the difference is between a hot spot and wifi. I dont understand it but I can certainly see in the frame of reference of the radio I am holding in my hand that the more people using the "hotspot", say at Starbucks, more more loaded down their system will be....
    All that sounds correct. Another use of the hotspot term is for a personal cell-data device that provides Internet with Wifi, and sometimes USB and/or Ethernet from a mobile data service plan.

This is what we were talking about for Wifi calling with a hotspot.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I read through this discussion and i noticed one (useful?) thing that was not mentioned. I have been using GV/Hangouts/hangouts dialer for some time now .H O &H O dialer are fairly reatively recent,but I signed on to GV I would guess 10 to 12 years ago. At that time you could set up GV to ring up to 5 pones, including a hard-wired landline. I could actually have it ring my dd's phone in Arizona along with 4 other phones back home in Michigan. I assume that is still a feature offerred as it still works on the 3 phones I have added to the service. I have never noticed a loss or low quality service nor dropped calls although i don't use it near as much as i used to. Initially I used that number for any non-family or friend calls so I didnt have to give my current phone number. I know of two people who use GV number with each new phone so they dont even use the the number that comes when activating a new pone. I never did get the voice transcription to work consistently on missed incoming calls, but over all quite pleased with the whole set-up.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Sure, you bet. I understand it doesnt have to be an inactive phone. Like you, I think I will try both dialers. Its not absolutely a must to have to have a phone while in port on cruises.....just an idea. Internet purchase packages on cruise ships are very expensive for hoh hum connect speeds....one can purchase packets of internet time as well if needed.
    I have a question about which phone or phones you plan to use on your trip. You mentioned a phone with no SIM (fine) and your other TracFones.

Although the TracFone SIMs will not roam in other countries, in the past, some users said if their phone even registered on a foreign network (with TracFone SIM), TracFone might kill the line. I don't know if that is still true.

Also, when you mention purchasing packets of internet time, are you referring to WiFi time or a foreign provider's data? You would not be able to use a foreign provider's SIM in a TracFone-locked phone.

If you might be interested in using a foreign provider's service while in port, there actually is a roaming option for TracFone companies' phones. Simple Mobile will let you use their plans in the USA and several Central and South American counties. https://www.simplemobile.com/ildroaming

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast