Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Video proves mmWave 5G is almost useless

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    You may want to compare the wave characteristics of typical WiFi spectrum at 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz to mmWave at 24GHz to 47 GHz before basing statements on such silly comparisons.
    I thought I might have been too subtle for everyone. I *knew* I'd be too subtle for some of you.

I wasn't comparing "wave characteristics" of WiFi to mmWave. I was...

a) making a comment on how, like WiFi, mmWave is deployed differently than traditional cellular, which doesn't automatically make it worthless, and,

b) making a statement about the perils of applying one's own situation and/or worldview to everyone and everything else.

What mmWave *does* have in common with WiFi, is that it augments coverage by providing short-range service where typical cellular might fail. The same way, say, Xfinity Mobile anticipates their users seamlessly jumping between Verizon cellular and Xfinity hotspots for coverage (or T-Mo itself used WiFi calling/texting to compensate for lousy indoor coverage in the 1900MHz-only days), mmWave is just another way of getting service to users to augment traditional cellular service, and one that seems to be a solution tailor-made for congested areas like downtowns, stadiums, conventions, etc.

Shilocane is continually bashing mmWave (based on a single YouTube video) because it doesn't work the same as the typical cellular deployments he can wrap his head around. Just because he can't use it while he's tooling down I-95 doesn't mean it's worthless for everyone, everywhere.

We stay ubiquitously connected by seamlessly moving from network to network. If some of those networks are traditional cellular, some WiFi, some mmWave, and some are two tin cans and string connected to my phone via Bluetooth, I don't care, as long as I can have connectivity wherever I go.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    I thought I might have been too subtle for everyone. I *knew* I'd be too subtle for some of you.

I wasn't comparing "wave characteristics" of WiFi to mmWave. I was...

a) making a comment on how, like WiFi, mmWave is deployed differently than traditional cellular, which doesn't automatically make it worthless, and,

b) making a statement about the perils of applying one's own situation and/or worldview to everyone and everything else.

What mmWave *does* have in common with WiFi, is that it augments coverage by providing short-range service where typical cellular might fail. The same way, say, Xfinity Mobile anticipates their users seamlessly jumping between Verizon cellular and Xfinity hotspots for coverage (or T-Mo itself used WiFi calling/texting to compensate for lousy indoor coverage in the 1900MHz-only days), mmWave is just another way of getting service to users to augment traditional cellular service, and one that seems to be a solution tailor-made for congested areas like downtowns, stadiums, conventions, etc.

Shilocane is continually bashing mmWave (based on a single YouTube video) because it doesn't work the same as the typical cellular deployments he can wrap his head around. Just because he can't use it while he's tooling down I-95 doesn't mean it's worthless for everyone, everywhere.

We stay ubiquitously connected by seamlessly moving from network to network. If some of those networks are traditional cellular, some WiFi, some mmWave, and some are two tin cans and string connected to my phone via Bluetooth, I don't care, as long as I can have connectivity wherever I go.

What the problem is the mmWave fans think everyone is homeless and doesn’t have a car and only live on the streets in the downtown parks where they overpriced and overrated Networks will deploy mmWave spectrum. MmWave only works outside on a clear day with few obstacles like cities buses or leafs on trees. If this deal with Sprint and T-Mobile is not finished, then both AT&T and Verizon will Not feal the need to provide 5G service to customers since there won’t be any real competition for 5G in this country.

Outside of a pedestrian city like NYC does a idiot walk down the street instead of driving in a car that makes mmWave worthless?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    What the problem is the mmWave fans think everyone is homeless and doesn’t have a car and only live on the streets in the downtown parks where they overpriced and overrated Networks will deploy mmWave spectrum. MmWave only works outside on a clear day with few obstacles like cities buses or leafs on trees. If this deal with Sprint and T-Mobile is not finished, then both AT&T and Verizon will Not feal the need to provide 5G service to customers since there won’t be any real competition for 5G in this country.

Outside of a pedestrian city like NYC does a idiot walk down the street instead of driving in a car that makes mmWave worthless?
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...-without-wi-fi

Here’s an article to prove your theory wrong. Perhaps an engineer with expansive knowledge like yourself should contact Verizon. I’m sure they will take your ideas into consideration

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post

Here’s an article to prove your theory wrong. Perhaps an engineer with expansive knowledge like yourself should contact Verizon. I’m sure they will take your ideas into consideration
    LOL that article only says Verizon is working on their almost worthless mmWave solution that doesn’t work unless you are standing outside next to the Verizon transmitter. Florida the 3rd most populated state is not a pedestrian area where people stand outside to use their phones. I have T-Mobile that works better than Verizon where I live, work and play and it is even less expensive.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Maybe you're right. Maybe AT&T and Verizon won't bother to ever deploy 5G on their entire existing network.

You know, just like they didn't bother deploying LTE. Or 3G. Or 2G. That's why you see all of those poor VZW and AT&T customers still walking around with circa-1990 Motorola brick phones...

Keep the laughs coming, Shilo!

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I think we need to be clear that "almost useless" is not "useless". A penny, by itself, is "almost useless" but with a bucket of them one can buy stuff. I'm not sure if mmWave is worth paying a $B for but it's not useless. Remember that as people drive along in their smart cars, those cars will be connected to the Internet via rooftop antennas that may access mmWave sites for real-time traffic updates as well as providing passengers with VoD services. I don't have a crystal ball to reveal the future but I'm pretty sure that demand for mobile bandwidth will only go up. As long as we're constrained to using radio waves (no Star Trek subspace communicators) we'll have to find that bandwidth capacity where it's available, and for now, that's mmWave.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post

shilo HAS to think mmwave is useless because is world view is t-mobile is the best and Legere knows what's best so whatever Verizon does MUST be bad in his mind. No amount of facts or reason will be able to change his mind.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    LOL that article only says Verizon is working on their almost worthless mmWave solution that doesn’t work unless you are standing outside next to the Verizon transmitter. Florida the 3rd most populated state is not a pedestrian area where people stand outside to use their phones. I have T-Mobile that works better than Verizon where I live, work and play and it is even less expensive.
    The fact of the matter is the 5G build-out is incomplete and it will eventually operate on different bands once fully rolled out. In addition mmWave spectrum is primarily going to be used for fixed mobile home broadband service and large crowded venues that have been saturated with small cells. I suspect Verizon and other carriers are going to be investing in the upcoming CBRS auction so they can have some mid band spectrum for 5G use. It is going to be years before the wireless carriers have a robust 5G Network. Just because T Mobile USA works best where you live at does not mean it is true for everybody. People should choose the wireless carrier that works for them and meets their coverage needs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru30 View Post
    People should choose the wireless carrier that works for them and meets their coverage needs.
    It's great how the non T-Mobile users are constantly posting in the T-Mobile subforum to try and get T-Mobile users to switch their service to another carrier. T-Mobile just gained 1.9 million new customers in the fourth quarter. Looks like your efforts aren't having much effect whatsoever.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It's great how the non T-Mobile users are constantly posting in the T-Mobile subforum to try and get T-Mobile users to switch their service to another carrier. T-Mobile just gained 1.9 million new customers in the fourth quarter. Looks like your efforts aren't having much effect whatsoever.
    jet1000 please tell me where I said or implied that T Mobile USA users should switch to another wireless company???? All I said is that customers should go with a wireless carrier that meets their coverage needs. Their is no single wireless carrier that is going to meet everybody's coverage needs.

Feedback Score
    All I said is that customers should go with a wireless carrier that meets their coverage needs.
    You're posting that statement in the T-Mobile subforum. Clearly your intent is to persuade T-Mobile customers to move their service elsewhere.

But I will give you the benefit of the doubt and review your post history. Perhaps you post such sage advice in the AT&T and Verizon subforums as well? I will check.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You're posting that statement in the T-Mobile subforum. Clearly your intent is to persuade T-Mobile customers to move their service elsewhere.

But I will give you the benefit of the doubt and review your post history. Perhaps you post such sage advice in the AT&T and Verizon subforums as well? I will check.
    jet1000 I am not a fanboy of any cell phone service provider and have switched providers when they have offered better value or service in the areas I frequent. So feel free to browse my post history which you will see that I have posted in both the post paid and pre paid forums on Howard Forums on various topics.

Feedback Score
    jet1000 I am not a fanboy of any cell phone service provider and have switched providers when they have offered better value or service in the areas I frequent. So feel free to browse my post history which you will see that I have posted in both the post paid and pre paid forums on Howard Forums on various topics.
    People just like to argue here. I guess it's because forums like these are mainly used by boomers these days, kind of like Facebook, so they just use it as a place to declare they are 100% right, and try to argue with and belittle anyone who disagrees. Likely why most people left forum sites like this for Reddit and other avenues.

Feedback Score
    In addition to 1.9 million net customer additions for the quarter, T-Mo had 7 million net adds for the year. The quarterly result was the 27th consecutive quarter with more than 1 million adds. They now have 86 million customers with a 1% postpaid churn. They are doing well and closing in on the Big2, with or without Sprint.

Source: Zachs Equity Research

I use Verizon because it is the only one that works inside the house. I'm not trying to convince anyone to switch. Maybe by the time I need a new phone in a couple of years T-Mo will be as good as Vz for me.

Feedback Score
    The fact of the matter is the 5G build-out is incomplete and it will eventually operate on different bands once fully rolled out. In addition mmWave spectrum is primarily going to be used for fixed mobile home broadband service and large crowded venues that have been saturated with small cells. I suspect Verizon and other carriers are going to be investing in the upcoming CBRS auction so they can have some mid band spectrum for 5G use. It is going to be years before the wireless carriers have a robust 5G Network. Just because T Mobile USA works best where you live at does not mean it is true for everybody. People should choose the wireless carrier that works for them and meets their coverage needs.
    for the record with DSS you can use band 2 and 4/66 for 5G

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast