Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 69

Thread: Video proves mmWave 5G is almost useless

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,979
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Tmobile is spending money buying the same mmwave spectrum that they say sucks. That fact penetrates windows. /s
    What are these haters going to say when it shows that T-Mobile just spent another $1 bil in the current mmwave auction going on?

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,982
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    It's as shame then that T-Mobile is wasting billions buying and deploying it then.
    There are some beneficial applications so it's not a total waste as long as other bands are used also. It's a good supplement but definitely not good as a foundational build

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,979
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    There are some beneficial applications so it's not a total waste as long as other bands are used also. It's a good supplement but definitely not good as a foundational build
    Once again assumes Verizon is not planning on using low and mid band for 5G despite saying so months ago. And at&t already is using lowband

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,935
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    There are some beneficial applications so it's not a total waste as long as other bands are used also. It's a good supplement but definitely not good as a foundational build
    This. As is often the case, the headline somewhat exaggerates the content. mmWave is not useless: It does have valid applications. Any place where lots of users gather and want to use their phones: stadia, metro stations, airports, densely packed urban centers, etc. But these are all places where hundreds or thousands of customers can be found within 100 m of a microcell and multiple microcells can be set up to provide signals from various directions. Where it doesn't work is essentially any situation where you're more than 100 m from the antenna or there's anything between your device and one of the microcells.
    Donald Newcomb

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,179
    Feedback Score
    0

    Video proves mmWave 5G is almost useless

    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    This. As is often the case, the headline somewhat exaggerates the content. mmWave is not useless: It does have valid applications. Any place where lots of users gather and want to use their phones: stadia, metro stations, airports, densely packed urban centers, etc. But these are all places where hundreds or thousands of customers can be found within 100 m of a microcell and multiple microcells can be set up to provide signals from various directions. Where it doesn't work is essentially any situation where you're more than 100 m from the antenna or there's anything between your device and one of the microcells.
    As the technology evolves over time , Qualcomm is developing this.

    https://www.qualcomm.com/products/qt...antenna-module

    Extended range and improved experience
    Enables mobile carriers and OEMs to accelerate the expansion of high-speed internet access to suburban, rural, and dense urban environments, with a plug-and-play, multi-gigabit alternative to cable and fiber.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    455
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 256gig (me), iPhone 7 32gig (wife)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Any place where lots of users gather and want to use their phones: stadia, metro stations, airports, densely packed urban centers, etc. But these are all places where hundreds or thousands of customers can be found within 100 m of a microcell and multiple microcells can be set up to provide signals from various directions.
    My wife and I went to a Clemson basketball game this week ... while my iPhone 7 is definitely not 5G, the large number of cell antennae gave full signal strength. I don't know if there were capacity issues, but 5G would (will) work well in that environment.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,588
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    MmWave is almost useless for cell phone. The exception is for stadiums ot outdoor concerts. You can’t walk and stay on mmWave in a city. You can have a bus block you from the tower. It can’t rain or snow. You can’t be in a house or even a car since even glass will degrade your signal. You must face the tower and not move to stay on mmWave. Sure it may make good home WiFi provided your house has a fixed external antenna pointed at the tower on non-rainy days. MmWave May even be useful for beaming backhaul. It just isn’t worth anything for a cell phone in a normal environment that people use cell phones.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 01-03-2020 at 11:50 AM.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,979
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    MmWave is almost useless for cell phone. The exception is for stadiums ot outdoor concerts. You can’t walk and stay on mmWave in a city. You can’t have a bus block you from the tower. It can’t rain or snow. You can’t be in a house or even a car since even glass will degrade your signal. You must face the tower and not move to stay on mmWave. Sure it may make good home WiFi provided your house has a fixed external antenna pointed at the tower on non-rainy days. MmWave May even be useful for beaming backhaul. It just isn’t worth anything for a cell phone in a normal environment that people use cell phones.

    All of that is BS. You're just spouting garbage because you think you have to make T-Mobile's decision to do 5G over lowband first look like the better idea. T- Mobile's has deployed mmwave and continues to buy it. So when you knock mmwave you're also knocking T-Mobile. In a couple of years it won't matter since all 3 carriers will be using low/mid/high and mmwave. You could give Legere a colon exam you have your head so far up his butt.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,982
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    All of that is BS. You're just spouting garbage because you think you have to make T-Mobile's decision to do 5G over lowband first look like the better idea. T- Mobile's has deployed mmwave and continues to buy it. So when you knock mmwave you're also knocking T-Mobile. In a couple of years it won't matter since all 3 carriers will be using low/mid/high and mmwave. You could give Legere a colon exam you have your head so far up his butt.
    Whah whah whah. If someone disagrees with you all you do is whine and call bs, and say they are a fan boy

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,588
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    All of that is BS. You're just spouting garbage because you think you have to make T-Mobile's decision to do 5G over lowband first look like the better idea. T- Mobile's has deployed mmwave and continues to buy it. So when you knock mmwave you're also knocking T-Mobile. In a couple of years it won't matter since all 3 carriers will be using low/mid/high and mmwave. You could give Legere a colon exam you have your head so far up his butt.
    Really so you must have not watched that video. Who walks anywhere and stands facing a mmWave tower just for extra speed that has almost no need for that extra fast data speed in the first place? Maybe someone that has no life or is homeless living on the street but they can’t afford a 5G mmWave phone at this point in the few metro cities with mmWave. So you won’t admit or don’t understand that mmWave is practically useless for normal Mobile cellphones uses. Since even a city bus driving by you walking down the street will knock you off of mmWave. I guess that is just something you don’t understand that mmWave can’t even penetrate almost anything that is solid including leafs on trees.

    Besides Verizon and AT&T aren’t putting in mmWave for cellphones users. Verizon and AT&T are going to use mmWave on their new Edge Computing business since AT&T has agreements with Microsoft and Verizon has signed an agreement with Amazon Web Service.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,979
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    Whah whah whah. If someone disagrees with you all you do is whine and call bs, and say they are a fan boy
    Projection much? I used logic and reason to make my points. YOU guys use fanboyism to make yours. If you insist that 2+2=5 then yeah I'm going to tell you that you are wrong. Please show me where I've said anything that is incorrect? Funny thing is I've stated over and over and over again I'm pro-merger so T-Mobile can force at&t and Verizon to make serious changes which is good for EVRYONE, yet you talk $h1t to me. Hmmm. No good deed goes unpunished I guess. I'll be the bigger person and put the TROLLS like you on ignore. Have fun talking to yourself.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,979
    Feedback Score
    0
    This message is hidden because shilohcane is on your ignore list.
    This message is hidden because wilbur101 is on your ignore list.

    Congrats to the trolls. I better things to do with my time.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,926
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Projection much? I used logic and reason to make my points. YOU guys use fanboyism to make yours. If you insist that 2+2=5 then yeah I'm going to tell you that you are wrong. Please show me where I've said anything that is incorrect? Funny thing is I've stated over and over and over again I'm pro-merger so T-Mobile can force at&t and Verizon to make serious changes which is good for EVRYONE, yet you talk $h1t to me. Hmmm. No good deed goes unpunished I guess. I'll be the bigger person and put the TROLLS like you on ignore. Have fun talking to yourself.
    That's what I'm hoping for if the merger goes through, good competition that hopefully keeps prices in check

    Hopefully T-Mobile won't raise prices after the 3 years

    I don't want any to lose jobs but I don't have much faith in sprint as a standalone at this point

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Posts
    213
    Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Really so you must have not watched that video.
    For me, the videos prove at least that far more densification is needed on mmWave IF they carriers care about mobile cell-phone use for it. We are talking Tens of Thousands of mmWave sites in each of the big cities each carrier decides to deploy mmWave in. There's certainly some interest (check the latest auction which is surprising me). However, outside major downtown areas and other high concentrations, I agree that it's a low and mid-band game.

    Ultimately, in the burbs, where I live, I hope fixed 5G can allow backhaul for more small sites to make 4G better. Right now 4G/LTE is still lacking in coverage. And getting any new macro sites built in South OC is nearly impossible. The best most hope for is to open up their wallets to key commercial building owners for expansion vs. stand-alone towers. This leaves residential neighborhoods frequently relying on WiFi indoors and that is before mmWave tries to enter the areas. I just don't see mmWave happening in the burbs and beyond.

    5G will get better but will it give us a "flying cars" type of revolution? I just don't see that. It's hard to argue with the laws of physics, unfortunately.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,935
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon_73 View Post
    For me, the videos prove at least that far more densification is needed on mmWave IF they carriers care about mobile cell-phone use for it. .....
    This is my view. mmWave will work in circumstances where you can get microcell coverage overlap from at least three directions. Really, all bands have their limitations. low-band is "rubbish" because there's not enough of it. Everything above 2 GHz is too short range. Mid-band is too congested. The solution is to have a mix of everything.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The 'No Contract' Catch is Almost Useless
    By GRANDISON in forum Freedom Mobile (previously Wind Mobile)
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 12-19-2009, 03:33 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-08-2007, 10:10 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2002, 07:57 PM
  4. This is a useless thread! For Useless topics!
    By joestedman in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-19-2002, 12:49 PM
  5. My t68 is almost here !
    By ROLLTIDE in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-20-2001, 07:42 PM

Bookmarks