Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Does Paying for Verizon Prepaid Work?

Feedback Score

How Does Paying for Verizon Prepaid Work?

I am trying to help a couple of people get off their very expensive postpaid plans that they don't need. One is on Verizon postpaid, the other is on AT&T postpaid. These people are not cellphone enthusiasts so other MVNOs are not of interest even if they cost a bit less. The one on AT&T is paying over $100 a month and uses less than 100 MB of data a month. Verizon is king around here for coverage so I have advised the AT&T user to switch to Verizon.

Being on postpaid, they are used to paper bills and paying by checking online billpayer. How does one pay for Verizon Prepaid? Could they get an email reminder? If so, can they set how long before the due date to get the message?

I am posting this now, but will be away for a few hours.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    The easiest way is to setup autopay with a credit or debit card. There are options of buying refill pins through other companies or eBay, but not quite as easy.

Check if the existing phone is unlocked and compatible else a new phone would be needed.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Name:  1C92941E-9D30-479E-B6E0-1315F0C5375A.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  63.1 KB
    It appears 2 lines with 2GB shared data on Verizon postpaid is $75 + tax, minus any discounts.

Verizon Prepaid 2 lines 1 GB each is $60 + tax. $70 + tax for 6GB each.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    Name:  1C92941E-9D30-479E-B6E0-1315F0C5375A.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  63.1 KB
    It appears 2 lines with 2GB shared data on Verizon postpaid is $75 + tax, minus any discounts.

Verizon Prepaid 2 lines 1 GB each is $60 + tax. $70 + tax for 6GB each.
    Thank you. We are aware that multiple lines narrows the price difference between postpaid and prepaid. We have no need for more than one line for each of them. These two people are not family to each other or even close in location.

Looking around, it appears that the $30 prepaid cannot do autopay. The $40 could do $5 off autopay, but the autopay has to be by direct draw from checking or a debit card. Credit cards don't get the autopay discount. Is this correct?

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Looking around, it appears that the $30 prepaid cannot do autopay. The $40 could do $5 off autopay, but the autopay has to be by direct draw from checking or a debit card. Credit cards don't get the autopay discount. Is this correct?
    Fairly certain $30 plan can do autopay. Verizon loves autopay. You just wouldn't get the $5 discount as you would for the higher priced plans.

Prepaid autopay requires either debit or credit card and both options get the discount. Bank account is not an option for prepaid accounts.

As already mentioned, many people buy discounted VZW prepaid refill cards and add them to their account so their debit/credit card is never charged. The plan payment is taken from their account balance. This way you don't have to pay fees & taxes as they are ostensibly already paid when purchasing the VZW prepaid refill card.

Feedback Score
    I take from this discussion that Verizon is stopping people from enrolling into or continuing to use their $15 for 30 day, $50 for 90 day, $100 for 360 day prepaid scheme. Is this really true? (Is or was the system for using basic phone without DATA).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    I take from this discussion that Verizon is stopping people from enrolling into or continuing to use their $15 for 30 day, $50 for 90 day, $100 for 360 day prepaid scheme. Is this really true? (Is or was the system for using basic phone without DATA).
    I've never seen this offered for smartphones over the last couple years. Only basic phones. If was available for smart phones I would probably have it for a backup line.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I've never seen this offered for smartphones over the last couple years. Only basic phones. If was available for smart phones I would probably have it for a backup line.
    Meaning of post was for basic phones. Same question.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    Meaning of post was for basic phones. Same question.
    Yeah, I think they stopped activating new lines with those plans within the last few years. I remember still seeing those plans in some stores back in 2016-2017 when I was previously on VZW Prepaid, but not when I reactivated last month.

They also got rid of the daily plan, which kinda competed with AT&T's $2/day plan.

They only sell a handful a basic phones now, so they probably are just pushing those people to the $30/month plan. Even new basic phones have some sort of data connectivity due to the newer requirement of VoLTE.

One could probably find a comparable plan through Red Pocket or maybe TracFone BOYD.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I am trying to help a couple of people get off their very expensive postpaid plans that they don't need. One is on Verizon postpaid, the other is on AT&T postpaid. These people are not cellphone enthusiasts so other MVNOs are not of interest even if they cost a bit less. The one on AT&T is paying over $100 a month and uses less than 100 MB of data a month. Verizon is king around here for coverage so I have advised the AT&T user to switch to Verizon.

Being on postpaid, they are used to paper bills and paying by checking online billpayer. How does one pay for Verizon Prepaid? Could they get an email reminder? If so, can they set how long before the due date to get the message?

I am posting this now, but will be away for a few hours.
    Checking is also an option. You just need to set it up through bill pay by referencing the Verizon (prepaid) account number. You can find it on My Verizon when you log in.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Does callingmart refill for Verizon prepaid work similar to the one for AT&T prepaid? Which Verizon option do I choose for 3 lines of 16 GB each, total $120 a month? Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie617 View Post
    Checking is also an option. You just need to set it up through bill pay by referencing the Verizon (prepaid) account number. You can find it on My Verizon when you log in.
    Thanks for the info.

[Update] We got one of them done the week after Christmas with a trip to the Verizon store. The AT&T user got a new phone (Galaxy A20), that they needed anyway, ported, and started the $30 plan. Ka Ching - $70 a month saved and they still have more service than they need.

It took two hours in the store, though half an hour of that was transferring contacts, texts, and settings from the old phone to the new one with an app.

The little twerp rep in the store tried to tell us that there was no $30 plan. When I looked it up on the Internet on my phone and showed them, they tried to tell us that it didn't have data. Wrong! When I showed them that it has 500 MB data they waffled and said that 500 MB IS no data. Well maybe to a millennial 500 MB is no data, but for us it is plenty. The special to double the data was still in effect and it actually has 1 GB.

Otherwise, the rep did not try to jerk us around and waived the $35 activation fee. The monthly cost is $30.50. Virginia has a 50 cent tax on any prepaid service purchase. Will have to see if they tack on more taxes and fees in the subsequent months with the autopay.

The user setup a Vz online account and setup autopay with a credit card. There is no autopay discount on the $30 plan. FWIW, there is a kiosk in the store where you can pay.

The trip to the store was necessary for this type of user. They were very apprehensive about losing their number and wanting hand holding to transfer contacts and messages.

A trip to the Verizon store and Vz Prepaid wouldn't be what many HoFo users want, but it is plenty good enough for this user with little tech inclination. Personally I have had service from Tracfone for 18 years that costs me ~$5 a month for the little service I use.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    If you can get the prepaid cards from places where they don't charge that tax, it will save you that 50 cents. I am here in Northern VA and have not been charged this tax when I've purchased the cards from Target or eBay. BestBuy did charge the tax and of course if Verizon pulled the money from my credit card. Which I avoid by carrying a balance on my prepaid account. That way I get the prepaid cards at a discount, pay no extra tax, and Verizon pulls the money from the balance instead of my Credit card tied to the account.

But I would typically buy a year or more at once(My 15GB (8GB + 7GB for life) Verizon prepaid plan costs $45 each month with autopay). So the last time I got prepaid cards I got over a 30% discount on the $500+ cards I got. Then just redeemed them all to my account. Bringing my out of pocket price to under $30 each month.

But now Discounts aren't as good as they used to be.
    And if they stay this way I will probably just go back to getting them from Target and getting them for 14.5% off. When they have a 10% off sale. And then I can get another 5% off by using the Target Redcard. Which works out to 14.5% off the normal price of the prepaid card.

Device(s)
    Iphone xr
    Feedback Score
    ??? How do you find the 10% off sale @ Target??? For the VZ prepaid cards - thanks for answering

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal71 View Post
    ??? How do you find the 10% off sale @ Target??? For the VZ prepaid cards - thanks for answering
    One way is to just look. I went to target.com just now, searched for prepaid cards, and saw that select Verizon Prepaid cards were on sale. $50 for $45. email delivery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast