Thread: If no setup with Google account, just no Google Services.

Feedback Score

If no setup with Google account, just no Google Services.

One can have a smartphone with Android O.S. setup without any Google account. This means, voice and text and can use internet - but no google services. Does this mean, user could still go onto internet and use email (even GMail) and use Google Maps? I would expect that much should be possible. Or am I wrong, and that I would need a Google account in order to use GMail or Google Maps? Help me understand this correctly.

(For prefix, I chose Verizon but the reality would some some other MVNO not listed in the dropdown box).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    One can have a smartphone with Android O.S. setup without any Google account. This means, voice and text and can use internet - but no google services. Does this mean, user could still go onto internet and use email (even GMail) and use Google Maps? I would expect that much should be possible. Or am I wrong, and that I would need a Google account in order to use GMail or Google Maps? Help me understand this correctly.

(For prefix, I chose Verizon but the reality would some some other MVNO not listed in the dropdown box).
    Without a Gmail or Google account on the phone you won't be able to use the Play Store to get or update apps. You won't be able to use some Google Apps, like Drive, Keep, maybe Youtube. I don't know about GMaps.

Do a web search on "android phone without google account". There are articles on workarounds. You can put a new anonymous Gmail account on the phone that you don't use for any thing other than to enable Google services on the phone, but they will find out a lot about you by your uses.

Webmail in a phone browser sometimes is not formatted to be easy to read on a phone. The text can be tiny.

Feedback Score
    Could any email "app" on the device be setup with some non-google email such as of Yahoo or AOL or of www.mail.com, and therefore make the webmail formatted to be easy to read? I am unsure if this webmail program would be from the device manufacturer or from some non-google preinstallation or from something such as F-Droid. All still with no Google account setup to the device.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    Could any email "app" on the device be setup with some non-google email such as of Yahoo or AOL or of www.mail.com, and therefore make the webmail formatted to be easy to read? I am unsure if this webmail program would be from the device manufacturer or from some non-google preinstallation or from something such as F-Droid. All still with no Google account setup to the device.
    Other mail apps work without a Google account on the phone. I have several. Without a Google account on the phone you will not be able to use the Play Store to get apps. The workaround is to side-load the apps from apk files you can get from APK repositories, like APKMirror. It is not complicated to do.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/safe-a...apk-downloads/

When I was looking for an email service that was not Google and was reported to not collect a bunch of info I settled on Zoho. They have the Zoho app in APKMirror.