Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Red Pocket says MMS now works with iPhone GSMA

Feedback Score

Red Pocket says MMS now works with iPhone GSMA

I know they've been teasing this announcement for a couple of weeks, but in a Slickdeals thread today they seemed to confirm it:

Hello! We announced some recent updates with respect to this matter, and will post them here as well. The other user is correct that Android MMS and group messaging has always worked. iOS MMS will now work on all of our networks if you are using iOS 13.3 on and iPhone 6S (or SE) or newer.
    Would be nice to see something a little more official, but there you have it. Left unanswered are some of the other ways the iPhone has been crippled with RP GSMA, such as the lack of both VoLTE and tethering.

Feedback Score
    That's nice, now that RCS got pushed to Android phones, they finally enabled MMS

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I had MMS working earlier this year on RP. It took modifying the profile downloaded from Red pocket based on an internet search, then getting it loaded into the phone (which took some experimentation). So it is possible that the fix for this is them finally updating their profile file.

Other features, like VoLTE, will require ATT allowing it with their service.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

If anyone has figured out how to set up the iphone so mms works, please post the solution. I have a second cell phone line I keep on RedPocket GSMA in an iPhone 7. I have not been able to get mms to work sending to/from an Android phone. This is after their recent announcement that mms now works on iPhones at 13.3 (which mine is).

One thing I noticed is there are two different profiles available for GSMA. I've tried both and both do not work (allow mms to Andriod). If you go to the RedPocket Phone Configuration page, you have two options for the iPhone profile: Enter your phone number and a download link will be texted to you; Click on the direct download link on the configuration website page.

The profile that is sent via text message is a signed profile. Once you install the profile, another text message arrives in Chinese from the RedPocket short code text message number. Not sure what that is about, nor am I comfortable with that?

The profile you download from the link on the website page is NOT signed.

As I mentioned, I've tried both profiles, neither of them allow me to send an mms to/from my RedPocket iPhone 7. If anyone has figured this out, please post. I'd also be interested in knowing if Personal hotspot works and wifi calling? Facetime audio/video seem to work.

Eric

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. I just had a pop up window on the iPhone 7 saying "updated carrier settings are available". I clicked on update and mms now works. Also, the network identifier changed from "GSMA" to "RedPocket".

Says I have to call redpocket to enable Personal Hotspot. Will try that later today. Do not see WiFi calling option under Cellular.

Eric

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Volte/wifi calling does not work on any AT&T mvno except cricket(which is owned by AT&T so technically does not count)

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Volte/wifi calling does not work on any AT&T mvno except cricket(which is owned by AT&T so technically does not count)

I've seen it work on ST, but that is apparently hit and miss from what I've read. Boom.us also advertises that they support VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling.

Good that they fixed their profiles. The fact they left a broken one out there so long was strange. I only have the 500MB/month plan so hotspot support isn't necessary for me.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Was that straight talk AT&T or Straightalk Verizon?

Verizon based mvnos have HD voice/volte but no wifi calling

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Was that straight talk AT&T or Straightalk Verizon?

Verizon based mvnos have HD voice/volte but no wifi calling

That was ATT.

But some research in answering this question shows that Straight Talk only claims Wi-Fi calling on their T-Mobile SIMS. Other people have seen it show up for other SIMs like ATT (in the case of my brother in law, who actually had it before Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE became available on ATT Prepaid). I think that there have been glitches before in provisioning accounts that have made things available that shouldn't be.

Feedback Score
    My son has wi-fi calling on ST AT&T with iPhone X

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    Folks,

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. I just had a pop up window on the iPhone 7 saying "updated carrier settings are available". I clicked on update and mms now works. Also, the network identifier changed from "GSMA" to "RedPocket".

Says I have to call redpocket to enable Personal Hotspot. Will try that later today. Do not see WiFi calling option under Cellular.

Eric
    Deleted my modified profile, and downloaded the one sent from red pocket's web site. Seems to work as well as the other profile.

At this time, no VoLTE, Wi-Fi calling, Visual Voicemail, or FaceTime over Cellular showing. I'll see what shows up in the near future.

VoLTE is most important to me, better coverage for me along with better quality.

I knew the limitations I was getting when I switched to RP GSMA

Device(s)
    All of them
    Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score

That’s not true, boom has VoLTE, WFC, and MMS on boom blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome rate plans @ www.boom.us
    To request support please visit support.boom.us and open a ticket.

Feedback Score
    I've never heard of red pocket. Until about 20 minutes ago when I found this picture. I don't even know what site it's on. Don't know how I ended up there. And I don't intend to switch personally. But I have a roommate who wants off of TracFone. And he hasn't bought an unlocked phone yet though he does plan to get an unlocked Verizon and probably an LG v20 like mine although he may have to get it with the extra battery.

So who are they? Are they any good? Are there any things that they are hiding? Like sure we have data but it's really slow or something? I have absolutely no idea what to even ask but you guys know things.
    At least you won't have to answer another question about iPhones. This household does not do iThings.
    I should probably go and see where on Earth I got this from. I think I was just looking for a TracFone data card and ended up on this page. I just don't know what page it is at the moment.Name:  20191216_053245.gif
Views: 307
Size:  648.8 KB

Sent from my VS995 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I really wanted to edit that to add this URL
    https://redpocket.com/ebay?gclid=Cj0...0aAlBBEALw_wcB

I can never see how long they are when I am on my phone. Mostly when I long press, they vanish completely.

It looks like it's a good deal but there are always caveats that I would not think of. So if anybody has any experience on why this would be not so great, please let me know.

For now I am sticking with my new three-year-old LG v20 on TracFone. But I have to get a new plan by January. cuz those triple minute things aren't going to help me any. So it'll cost twice as much. Actually not. Maybe $25 every 2 months which really isn't bad.

But the roommate might like something more, since he actually does use his cell phone for talking and texting and sometimes even data. Plus he's been griping about TracFone lately.
    Thanks for any info/insight

Sent from my VS995 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Have been using Red Pocket ATT for 3 years with no real issues to speak of. (3 lines all on ATT) Have seen speeds as high as 80 mbps & no really bad experiences with unusable data when in congested areas. Just tested here @ 9:00 AM in Wash DC & seeing a very usable 20 up & 7 down in the basement @ work. Have tested Red Pocket Verizon here recently & had good speeds as well, but have better coverage overall with ATT at the places I frequent.

Have heard of issues with heavy voice/text usage on Red Pocket Verizon. I believe the threshold is lower with Verizon than ATT (Over 1000-1500 voice minutes) Have heard the threshold is 6000-7000 minutes with ATT. Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast