Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Switching to T-Mobile an option?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Berg View Post
    My wife and I currently use AT&T with our unlocked phones. We would like to consider switching to T-Mobile, but I'm not certain it's a good choice based on our phones. From what I've read my wife's unlocked S9+ shouldn't be a problem, but I have a Pixel 2 (not XL). My understanding is it doesn't support B71.

I had hoped to stay with the P2 for about another year. Is it going to be an option or does my phone need to be replaced to go with T-Mobile?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
    If you had a Pixel 3 there is a free trade in deal to switch carriers but T-Mobile will give you $200 off a 5G OnePlus 7T Mclaren ( List $899 ) by trading in your Pixel 2. Motorola has some less expensive 600Mhz phones.

https://www.t-mobile.com/oneplus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    What is the impetus for moving to a carrier with poorer coverage?
    I dispute that. I did an extensive test of the two carriers side by side over the last few months, and discovered that pretty much they're identical in the broad areas in which I travel.

While YMMV in any given area of the country, it's not anymore a valid statement to say "T-Mobile has poorer coverage". That's very 10 years ago.

Feedback Score
    Zip codes are 45424 and 33404, and the areas around them.

Reasons to switch include AT&T signal strength at my home is often -110db or worse. And AT&T doesn't like to do WiFi calling on most unlocked phones. And for my wife, T-Mobile has better options for calling and data while overseas.

All extremely valid reasons, in addition to which T-Mobile is HUGELY strong in Cinci/Dayton.

Feedback Score
    Since my wife has an S9+ I suppose I can always switch us (knowing she will be OK) and if I run into problems I would be forced to upgrade to a Pixel 4 or something else... <G>

Is there any feel for where B71 is being used without other bands being available? Or is it just that new installs are generally B71?

I'd really like to stretch the Pixel 2 to 3 years...

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    What is the impetus for moving to a carrier with poorer coverage?
    Coverage is regional and not the same in every market. Just because it might not work as well in your area, doesn't mean it won't work for the OP.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Since my wife has an S9+ I suppose I can always switch us (knowing she will be OK) and if I run into problems I would be forced to upgrade to a Pixel 4 or something else... <G>

Is there any feel for where B71 is being used without other bands being available? Or is it just that new installs are generally B71?

If you got no issue with coverage or speed then you’re fine. If you travel occasionally and have a few dead spots where you’re at. Future protecting ya self with band 71 is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    An LTE phone can use either band-12 or band-71 but not both at the same time. When both are available, the only real advantage to band-71 is that it's usually less congested, hence faster. As far as providing coverage, it's six of one, half-dozen of the other. We currently have one phone with band-12 and another with both 12 and 71. Since T-Mobile has deployed neither in our market (yet) it currently makes no difference. The only real difference will come when they do deploy band-71, as all the 700 MHz licenses here are owned by other carriers.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

This is the best map of where T-Mobile has B71 as of 12/4/2019. Now it comes from a guy that gets the data from T-Mobile NVNO partners. There are minor changes each month and you can zoom in on the map for detail.

https://coverage.lart2150.com/ https://coverage.lart2150.com/

T-Mobile is going to be moving very quickly to 5G if they get the merger with Sprint approved. Sure there will be lots of 4G LTE but you would have better coverage with more towers with 5G/4G capability phone. T-Mobile is introducing 15 5G phones in 2020 and every major phone Manufacturer including Apple is going to have 5G phones in 2020. If you need a 600 MHz phone now then get an inexpensive Motorola phone. Don’t buy a flagship phone just before everyone starts selling 5G phones.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    This is the best map of where T-Mobile has B71 as of 12/4/2019. Now it comes from a guy that gets the data from T-Mobile NVNO partners. There are minor changes each month and you can zoom in on the map for detail.

https://coverage.lart2150.com/ https://coverage.lart2150.com/

T-Mobile is going to be moving very quickly to 5G if they get the merger with Sprint approved. Sure there will be lots of 4G LTE but you would have better coverage with more towers with 5G/4G capability phone. T-Mobile is introducing 15 5G phones in 2020 and every major phone Manufacturer including Apple is going to have 5G phones in 2020. If you need a 600 MHz phone now then get an inexpensive Motorola phone. Don’t buy a flagship phone just before everyone starts selling 5G phones.

Or maybe don't buy a 5G phone at all any time soon, if this Ars article is correct:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...-design/?amp=1

The author argues that the coming 5G phones, due to the use of external 5G modems (rather than integrated in the processor chip) will run hotter and consume more power, and suggests skipping a generation and waiting until 5G modems get integrated into future generation processors.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Or maybe don't buy a 5G phone at all any time soon, if this Ars article is correct:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...-design/?amp=1

The author argues that the coming 5G phones, due to the use of external 5G modems (rather than integrated in the processor chip) will run hotter and consume more power, and suggests skipping a generation and waiting until 5G modems get integrated into future generation processors.
    I have no problem with people waiting on buying a 5G phone for some time. I think no one should buy any Flagship phone before the next Generation of phones comes out. However lots of people buy phones at Christmas. Since T-Mobile works so well where I live I don’t need to get a new 5G phone till They mature. My S9 provides perfect service and would only need to move up to 5G when more spectrum is turned to 5G. Yes the non-Integrated modem uses a battery faster but they are putting in large batteries to compensate. Heat isn’t a big deal for me since I don’t live on my phone checking Facebook or play games. I do occasionally stream T-Mobile Play App for TV when I am stuck some place or read news.

The current 5G phones are Based on 3GPP Release 15 Non-Stand-alone 5G. The 5G phones in the next Gen are going to be for Stand-Alone 5G that Release 16 is due in June 2020 for release from 3GPP. However in 2020 AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile will implement Dynamic Spectrum Sharing ( Release 15 & 16) that will allow a 5G phone to support SA 5G, NSA 5G and 4G to connect in the same physical block of spectrum with Spectrum Slicing as well as carrier aggregation to improve speed using any 4G or 5G spectrum. After February 2020 just about all major Flagship phones will be 5G with Sub 6 and mmWave capability’s. I am not worried about non-integrated modems it is a phone build on 3GPP Release 16 is what I am waiting on to upgrade to 5G.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    .... and suggests skipping a generation and waiting until 5G modems get integrated into future generation processors....
    Had I not needed to roam in Japan, it would have been smarter to skip the first generation of 3G phones. That A835 was like toting around a brick.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Had I not needed to roam in Japan, it would have been smarter to skip the first generation of 3G phones. That A835 was like toting around a brick.
    I was a T-Mo customer during the switch to 3G. T-Mo was so far behind the other carriers deploying 3G, I think my first 3G phone was the 5th or 6th gen!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I was a T-Mo customer during the switch to 3G. T-Mo was so far behind the other carriers deploying 3G, I think my first 3G phone was the 5th or 6th gen!
    Right. The A835 I mentioned was tri-band GSM with UMTS-2100. The reason I got it was to be able to roam in Japan. Other than getting to the airport, I didn't use it in the USA. AWS 3G was particularly late arriving in my area due to military use of those frequencies. I think my first T-Mobile compatible 3G phone was the TM506.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Zip codes are 45424 and 33404, and the areas around them.

Reasons to switch include AT&T signal strength at my home is often -110db or worse. And AT&T doesn't like to do WiFi calling on most unlocked phones. And for my wife, T-Mobile has better options for calling and data while overseas.

As someone who lives in Ohio also.. You'll be fine without B71. T-Mobile is fairly robust here with B12, and B71 LTE is only a 5MHz chunk so does not add *that* much value other than an occasional few Mbps.

Try T-Mobile as it's contract free, and worst case you go back to AT&T.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Even the first 4g devices. The thunderbolt was a disaster, the Samsung indulge had connection problems galore, and the HTC Evo 4g was terrible. With the Evo you had to turn on 4g, hope for a connection, and watch your battery disappear. Generally the first generation of devices are a complete failure.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast