Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Switching to T-Mobile an option?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Try T-Mobile as it's contract free
    They're all contract-free.

They'll charge you a setup fee, but beyond that it's just the monthly charges that you can stop on demand.

Even AT&T.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Unless, of course, you buy a phone on a DPP. No contract for the service, but you still have payments for the phone or pay off in full when leave.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Unless, of course, you buy a phone on a DPP. No contract for the service, but you still have payments for the phone or pay off in full when leave.
    ...which, as you point out, has nothing whatsoever to do with the service.

There are no contracts anymore with any of the providers. They're pretty much all prepaid. It's just a matter of brand snobbery, plus feature sets, that differentiates any provider from any other provider.

The days of "you don't want prepaid, that's for poor people" are long, long gone.

There's zero need to overpay for whatever your requirements are--unless you simply must have that Big Three brand name on your bill.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    There are no contracts anymore with any of the providers.
    Except AT&T loyalty deals.
    Personal Highest on LTE - US RT 1 and MD-152

Home internet - Verizon Fios 150/150 (Upgraded to Gigabit Jan. 26 2019)

Fios Gigabit:

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    There are no contracts anymore with any of the providers.
    Not exactly true. I know Verizon still allows business customers to have contracts, not consumer accounts though. I would imagine it is the same with all carriers.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    getting a device on installment is similar to a contract, just different language, they hold on to the subscriber till its paid off or pay termination fee

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    They're all contract-free.

They'll charge you a setup fee, but beyond that it's just the monthly charges that you can stop on demand.

Even AT&T.
    Mmmhmm, thanks for selectively quoting

Had you quoted the rest it'd be clear that's not the point as I was getting at.. I was more of a "you don't really have much to loose, so do it" statement.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KH6CY View Post
    getting a device on installment is similar to a contract, just different language, they hold on to the subscriber till its paid off or pay termination fee
    no, getting a device on installment from the carrier IS a contract.

You can also buy a device straight from the hardware manufacturer, like Samsung or LG, and enter into a long term payment contract.

But it's NOT a service contract. There are no more service contracts.

Contracts are gone. Now it's just a matter of paying for the features you want, and the entire world of both Big Three and MVNOs is open to you--all under the same terms. You want service? Pay us for it. We don't care what phone you have. Oh, you need a phone? We'll be happy to help you with that as well, as an independent transaction, under a variety of terms--you choose.

Contracts are gone from all service providers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Berg View Post
    Zip codes are 45424 and 33404, and the areas around them.

Reasons to switch include AT&T signal strength at my home is often -110db or worse. And AT&T doesn't like to do WiFi calling on most unlocked phones. And for my wife, T-Mobile has better options for calling and data while overseas.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
    As someone who lives in Ohio also.. You'll be fine without B71. T-Mobile is fairly robust here with B12, and B71 LTE is only a 5MHz chunk so does not add *that* much value other than an occasional few Mbps.

Try T-Mobile as it's contract free, and worst case you go back to AT&T.
    I'm not sure how I was "selectively" quoting what you said...

Verizon is contract free. Sprint is contract free. AT&T is contract free. So T-Mobile isn't unique in this. That was my point.

And in fact, all providers are contract-free. They are not contractually obligating you to their service in any way, shape, or form--as it should be.

You can thank John Legere for that.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    ......But it's NOT a service contract. There are no more service contracts....
    As long as we're being technical, month-to-month service is a contract. Buying a quart of milk at the grocery store is also a contract. Neither is a long-term contract.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure how I was "selectively" quoting what you said...

Verizon is contract free. Sprint is contract free. AT&T is contract free. So T-Mobile isn't unique in this. That was my point.

And in fact, all providers are contract-free. They are not contractually obligating you to their service in any way, shape, or form--as it should be.

You can thank John Legere for that.
    Once again, had you included the rest of what I said, you'd see I was just simply saying to the OP to just try it. Now if you wanna get nit-picky.. that's fine.. as clearly you're just bored at home. but i'm not the one

Either fully quote or do not quote at all.

Feedback Score
    Once again, had you included the rest of what I said, you'd see I was just simply saying to the OP to just try it. Now if you wanna get nit-picky.. that's fine.. as clearly you're just bored at home. but i'm not the one

Either fully quote or do not quote at all.
    I did fully quote the relevant point: you said T-Mo was contract free, in a way that implied that T-Mo was unique in that matter and therefore trying T-Mo was hassle-free.

I don't disagree with the hassle-free, but I wanted to point out for the lurkers that T-Mo isn't unique in that matter. The guy could have also tried Verizon under the same terms, for example.

Or, for that matter, any MVNO...all without the hassle of long term contracts....

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    I switched from AT&T five years ago to T-Mobile and haven't looked back.

As has been mentioned you should be fine with your pixel 2 for another year.

T-Mobile gives much better value than the other guys. I've immensely enjoyed the switch. It's been a fun ride.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    I switched from AT&T five years ago to T-Mobile and haven't looked back.

As has been mentioned you should be fine with your pixel 2 for another year.

T-Mobile gives much better value than the other guys. I've immensely enjoyed the switch. It's been a fun ride.

The network has gotten so much better in those 5 years. T-Mobile definitely has a solid network now. Have you missed att at all even when traveling?

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    The network has gotten so much better in those 5 years. T-Mobile definitely has a solid network now. Have you missed att at all even when traveling?
    Nope, not at all. I was just in LA in November and service was great. Even in Malibu at an air bnb we were at it was great.

My cousin with Verizon however was having frustrations with congestion.

I've never once missed AT&T and I was with them for 10 years and an extreme loyalist. What Legere and company were/have/will do though, was too compelling to pass up.

Back then I got a $1000 for switching over and discounted phones... INSANE!!!

The only thing even remotely concerning for me these days might be congestion, due to T-Mobile meteoric rise. Still though, with my grandfathered plan there is no one else who's a better fit for me and my family.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast