Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 57 ... LastLast

Thread: The final obstacle to the T-Mobile/Sprint Merger Begins Tomorrow

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    Then Dish should have just bought all of Sprint, including all the customers.
    Dish didn't want to spend that much money nor take on Sprint's debt. The only value Sprint really has is to T-Mobile because they can roll their resources into their own and reduce costs due to efficiency of scale.

An non-carrier buying Sprint wouldn't have that opportunity.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    Dish is the weak link in Tmobiles defense in this trial. We will see if they actually end up costing them this deal.
    If it was anyone else but dish Network, Tmobiles case would be a lot stronger.
    Weak link? Dish allowed T-Mobile's deal to get the deal passed by the DOJ. There was nobody else wanting to agree to setup a fourth nationwide carrier.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/08/t-mo...-approval.html

“While we see the odds as close, our current view [is] that the states are more likely than not to win, particularly due to weaknesses we see in the companies’ market definition, reliance on economic arguments with little support in antitrust precedent, a reliance on behavioral remedies to justify the fix, and a reliance on public interest considerations, such as social or industrial policy, that generally are considered irrelevant to competition analysis.”

I say just let them merge already. Three national wireless competitors is sufficient. None of the other options for Sprint are realistic given the amount of money that will have to be invested in order to create a third top-tier network from the Sprint/T-Mobile merger.

Sprint is out there offering unsustainable deals on wireless service with no regard for profitability, racking up hundreds of millions dollars per quarter in losses, and is still losing postpaid phone customers. It's akin to what some retailers and service oriented businesses have done in the past─rely on investors to subsidize their businesses, hurting competitors that can't endure sustained losses, until the investors get weary and the whole thing falls apart.

Yes prices will likely go up as a result of the merger, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. My favorite example is Uber. If Uber's investors stopped subsidizing every ride then Uber would fail because few customers would be willing to pay the true cost of a ride. Taxi drivers that have suffered because of Uber's subsidies would benefit. Consumers that have enjoyed the subsidized Uber rides would grumble about having to pay the real cost of a ride. Mass transit systems that can't compete with subsidized Uber rides would benefit from increased ridership.
    I was for this merger until John Legere steeped down. I am afraid of Sprint Nextel 2.0 happening since Sprint would most likely be running the show with the new merged entity. I am hopping the court blocks the merger since we do not need Sprint management bankrupting T Mobile with their bad decisions.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by idavenport90 View Post
    I was for this merger until John Legere steeped down. I am afraid of Sprint Nextel 2.0 happening since Sprint would most likely be running the show with the new merged entity. I am hopping the court blocks the merger since we do not need Sprint management bankrupting T Mobile with their bad decisions.
    The way I look at it, if the deal goes through I'll bail at the first sign that things are going to suck. I won't stick around if anything goes sour, definitely won't wait for things to get better

Now if tmobile treats me decent I'll gladly stick around

Right now I'm pretty happy with T-Mobile so hopefully that continues if they get sprint. I think it will but you never know how things can change until they actually do in situations like this
    Last edited by themanhimself; 12-11-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Feedback Score
    I am afraid of Sprint Nextel 2.0 happening since Sprint would most likely be running the show with the new merged entity. I am hopping the court blocks the merger since we do not need Sprint management bankrupting T Mobile with their bad decisions.
    Sprint management isn't going to be managing the new company.

The facts are that the T-Mobile President & COO is being promoted to the CEO position and he has been working with the company since 2012 and he has good track record:

"Legere jokingly called Mike Sievert his son on a number of occasions since he personally hired the COO back in 2012 while in fact spending all this time preparing to hand over the baton. Sievert began as T-Mobile's Chief Marketing Officer, assuming Chief Operating Officer responsibilities in 2015 and adding President as a job title just last year. "

https://www.phonearena.com/news/john...ation_id120482

To be against the merger because John is leaving doesn't make a lot of sense. Mike's fully capable of taking the company to the next level as a formidable competitor of AT&T and Verizon.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Sprint management isn't going to be managing the new company.

The facts are that the T-Mobile President & COO is being promoted to the CEO position and he has been working with the company since 2012 and he has good track record:

"Legere jokingly called Mike Sievert his son on a number of occasions since he personally hired the COO back in 2012 while in fact spending all this time preparing to hand over the baton. Sievert began as T-Mobile's Chief Marketing Officer, assuming Chief Operating Officer responsibilities in 2015 and adding President as a job title just last year. "

https://www.phonearena.com/news/john...ation_id120482

To be against the merger because John is leaving doesn't make a lot of sense. Mike's fully capable of taking the company to the next level as a formidable competitor of AT&T and Verizon.
    I am against the merger if John Legere is stepping down since I would want somebody in charge that has a proven track record. We do not need Sprint taking down T Mobile with them in bankruptcy since they can not afford bad decision making with all the combined debt.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I am against the merger if John Legere is stepping down since I would want somebody in charge that has a proven track record. We do not need Sprint taking down T Mobile with them in bankruptcy since they can not afford bad decision making with all the combined debt.
    J.L. was the right leader to pick T-Mobile up off the pavement, to take on a broken industry and bring the company from dead last to a solid 3rd. He may not be the right leader to carry the company forward from here. The Sprint holdovers will either conform to T-Mobile's way of doing things or find new jobs. Marcelo will get a minority seat on the board. Otherwise, it's going to be a T-Mobile show. I don't see anything of Sprint's corporate culture surviving.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    What does Mike Sievert have to do with Sprint?

Mike has been an integral part of the company during all of it's recent expansion and customer additions. In addition, he is their current President and COO.

Be specific, what part of "Sprint" do you think is going to take down T-Mobile? T-Mobile is going to integrate Sprint's spectrum into T-Mobile's network. They're going to move Sprint's customers onto the new expanded and combined network. Sprint is going away as a brand altogether along with a lot of the bad feelings about it.

You think it's more optimum for T-Mobile to have less spectrum and less economy of scale? I do not understand your logic.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n33d0n3 View Post
    Bell and Telus share everything. Canada has basically two competing wireless carriers. Rogers vs Bell/Telus. It is a total apples vs oranges comparison. Not to mention Canada has the most protected by regulation environment in North America. They would never allow a European or American carrier to setup shop up there.
    Not to mention the entire Canadian population is just a little more than the NY metro area, lol.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Perhaps T-Mobile needs to put something like $30 billion in an escrow account that they get back if certain conditions are met, such as Dish Wireless becomes a viable national carrier with at least 30 million subscribers for a period of five years with an ARPU of at least $25 per month. In lieu of an escrow account they could post a bond for a similar amount. Surely they would not object it they really believe that Dish can turn Boost into a fourth competitor.
    Better idea is cancel the merger and let Sprint go bankrupt. Sprint can’t turn a profit and SoftBank is just a controlling stockholders that would be better off shutting Sprint and selling their spectrum and customers. Also Dish is going to face a $2.2 billion dollars fine if they don’t have all their spectrum coverage at 70% by 2023. Either way their will only be three national networks. Sprint has proved there isn’t enough customers for a 4th network to make a profit. Can’t wait to hear the excuses from those stupid States Attorney Generals when Sprint puts a Out of Business sign in all there store windows and fires all their employees. We can then thank the Communications Workers Union for killing all the jobs at Sprint. Funny part is no one will miss Sprint after it is gone just like all the other businesses that go out of business every year because they can’t complete.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Better idea is cancel the merger and let Sprint go bankrupt. Sprint can’t turn a profit and SoftBank is just a controlling stockholders that would be better off shutting Sprint and selling their spectrum and customers. Also Dish is going to face a $2.2 billion dollars fine if they don’t have all their spectrum coverage at 70% by 2023. Either way their will only be three national networks. Sprint has proved there isn’t enough customers for a 4th network to make a profit. Can’t wait to hear the excuses from those stupid States Attorney Generals when Sprint puts a Out of Business sign in all there store windows and fires all their employees. We can then thank the Communications Workers Union for killing all the jobs at Sprint. Funny part is no one will miss Sprint after it is gone just like all the other businesses that go out of business every year because they can’t complete.
    Whether the Sprint stores all close because of a Sprint bankruptcy, or whether they all close because there's no need for a Sprint store next to a T-Mobile store, the Sprint store employees are still going to lose their jobs.

Charlie Ergen is not going to want to pay for all those Sprint store leases, and pay all those Sprint employees, to service 8 million Boost customers . In my city we briefly had a Sprint store when the Radio Shack converted itself to a Sprint store, but that did not last long. The two adjacent cities have large Sprint stores in very expensive shopping centers.

It's also a huge mistake to believe that if the merger doesn't occur that the only option for Sprint is eventual bankruptcy.

Feedback Score
    Whether the Sprint stores all close because of a Sprint bankruptcy, or whether they all close because there's no need for a Sprint store next to a T-Mobile store, the Sprint store employees are still going to lose their jobs.

Charlie Ergen is not going to want to pay for all those Sprint store leases, and pay all those Sprint employees, to service 8 million Boost customers . In my city we briefly had a Sprint store when the Radio Shack converted itself to a Sprint store, but that did not last long. The two adjacent cities have large Sprint stores in very expensive shopping centers.

It's also a huge mistake to believe that if the merger doesn't occur that the only option for Sprint is eventual bankruptcy.
    Sprints financial performance dictates otherwise. Opinion vs facts. Bankruptcy or not, a fire sale will take place eventually because debts need to be repaid. Debts cannot be repaid with negative cash flow.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Weak link? Dish allowed T-Mobile's deal to get the deal passed by the DOJ. There was nobody else wanting to agree to setup a fourth nationwide carrier.
    This is untrue, there was nobody else contacted by many reports. TMobile eyed their puppet...sotty I mean partner right from the start Yes, they are the weak link in Tmobiles defense of the merger. Are you really going to try to argue they are not? While its not entirely Tmobiles fault, i mean the DOJ dangled a carrot of a prize in front of them (the merger) if they picked their own competition (dish), of course they aren't going to go after someone they feel is competent enough to actually provide competition, so they went with dish. It's the same as if the UFC offered you 50 billion dollars if you win a fight, you can pick anyone you want to be your competition, you ain't gonna pick Jon Jones or Khabib, your gonna pick the fat lazy guy down the street who you know won't put up much of a fight.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    States hold the power to challenge mergers as long as the merger affects their citizens. The DOJ and FCC do not hold absolute power, neither do the states. I'm not sure where you got the idea the most power they hold is to disallow, but, this is highly inaccurate. States hold the same power to challenge a merger in court that the DOJ holds. Generally, the status quo is for states to follow the DOJs lead, but, they are not required to. People can argue the political motivations of both sides all day, and everyone definitely has their own opinion on that. None of that changes though states abilities to challenge mergers.
    So some large state has a right to tell other states what companies can do business in their state???? Also, they are fighting it out in a specific federal court. This is not a US Supreme Court case. So any decision handed down by this one federal judge cannot impact every single state in the country. They work in districts. A federal decision out of a district court in California won’t affect residents in Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by obeythelaw View Post
    So some large state has a right to tell other states what companies can do business in their state???? Also, they are fighting it out in a specific federal court. This is not a US Supreme Court case. So any decision handed down by this one federal judge cannot impact every single state in the country. They work in districts. A federal decision out of a district court in California won’t affect residents in Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    To answer the first question....yes. states hold the same power as the DOJ does in challenging anti trust cases. well, no, it's not the supreme Court. The supreme Court generally hears appeals. As far as a federal court decision in one state not affecting another...this is 100% inaccurate. A federal court ruling is, well, federal. If TMobile loses, they have the right to appeal all the way to the supreme Court if they wish to. I'm not sure why people are trying to argue the states don't have the power to sue here, they do. States or even private citizens hold the right to challenge pretty much any decisions the DOJ or an administration makes in a federal court. Think back to the travel ban, it was overturned in a federal court in Hawaii, but then was successfully appealed by the DOJ in the supreme Court. That ruling in Hawaii though.....affected everyone.

Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 57 ... LastLast