Page 10 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 60 ... LastLast

Thread: The final obstacle to the T-Mobile/Sprint Merger Begins Tomorrow

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    T-Mobile deployment of nationwide 5 G was strategic. T-Mobile keep the ADs from claiming in court T-Mobile would never deploy 5G nationwide since even AT&T and Verizon couldn’t afford to do that. T-Mobile has never argued that they were in financial trouble without Sprint. T-Mobile argued they needed Sprint’s spectrum to build a Robust & Wide 5G Nationwide Network. Sprint is the one that is dead meat without a merger.

Forget Dish they don’t have enough money to buy Sprint. Obviously Sprint doesn’t know how to build a network but Dish is clueless about Terrestrial Network. Dish was looking for a partnership to build out their network since they didn’t even have $10 billion. Dish Network tried to get Comcast, Charter and Amazon but no one wants to be in business with Charlie Ergen. Without the merger Dish will never start a new national network. SoftBank shopped Sprint around for years and T-Mobile is the only one interest in Sprint due to their huge debt.

No big deal if the merger is killed since Sprint is going bankrupt without the merger. T-Mobile and others will buy the spectrum from the banks and the Sprint customers will go to other networks. The FCC 3.5 GHz Spectrum auction starts in June 2020. Plus Dish will probably sell their spectrum. There will be lots of spectrum then since there will only be three networks. SoftBank should just shut down Sprint, Fire all the Sprint employees if the court rules against the merger and stick it in the face of all those stupid State ADs. Then I bet the judge would reconsider the merger.
    I hope tmobile wins the case either way.

I would have made a few different decisions but if they win I'll be happy. I don't think will go on too many more years unless something changes

Sent from my VS880 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    Yeah dish could be a good carrier but their track record proves otherwise. Whoever chose dish to be the savior for the T-Mobile deal is probably kidding themselves of they think it will be an easy win for T-Mobile
    The only way I can see Dish being successful as a mobile network is with Low Orbit Satellite technology. Space-X has already launching a lot of Satellite in their new project Starlink that proves ISP service in 2020. BTW there are two other smaller companies doing the same thing. At least Dish has satellite communication knowledge.

https://www.starlink.com/

Feedback Score
    TMobile called their first witness today. Was J.L. I'm sure he was great, John can convince someone it's a great idea to let him sleep with their wife. It will be interesting to see how Charlie and Marcelo do on the stand. Neither are as talented as polished and as personable as John in presenting themselves to the public.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    The only way I can see Dish being successful as a mobile network is with Low Orbit Satellite technology. Space-X has already launching a lot of Satellite in their new project Starlink that proves ISP service in 2020. BTW there are two other smaller companies doing the same thing. At least Dish has satellite communication knowledge.
    Having used satellite phones, it would surprise me if LEO technology could be made to support what we are used to in mobile phone service. The problem is that LEO satellites are generally low-power devices (as compared with either GEO satellites or terrestrial cellular). You need a clear line-of-sight between the handset and the satellite. This is why most satellite handsets have antennas that extend above the user's head. They don't work indoors or inside most vehicles (convertibles excepted) unless you have an outside antenna. Large buildings or even trees block the signals. I am in favor of using LEO or HAP technology to deliver services to rural areas but with an understanding that compromises will be needed.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    Judging by past anti trust trials it would be TMobile that has to prove that their merger would not harm competition.
    I found a 200+ page article on the subject of burdens in Sherman Act (antitrust) cases. While the nominal burden of proof rests with the plaintiffs (The ones alleging something is anti-competitive) the details will make your eyes water.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Unless I read it wrong but this sounds like it could help support Sprint and tmobiles case some when it comes to the argument about higher prices from the merger

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ng-sprint-deal

Sent from my VS880 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    TMobile called their first witness today. Was J.L. I'm sure he was great, John can convince someone it's a great idea to let him sleep with their wife. It will be interesting to see how Charlie and Marcelo do on the stand. Neither are as talented as polished and as personable as John in presenting themselves to the public.
    Perhaps. But this is not a jury trial.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    Perhaps. But this is not a jury trial.
    No that's true, but even before a judge I would suspect J.L. to be able to answer any direct questions from the judge more....not sure a good word for it.....maybe confidently? Than the other 2 will. John just presents himself better than they do. John's not gonna say anything to hurt his case, he's not gonna slip up or be overwhelmed with anything, the other 2 are much bigger wildcards. John will present himself well to a judge, can Marcelo and Charlie do the same???

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I found a 200+ page article on the subject of burdens in Sherman Act (antitrust) cases. While the nominal burden of proof rests with the plaintiffs (The ones alleging something is anti-competitive) the details will make your eyes water.
    Wowzas, I think I have a headache now lol great find.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    You're the one who stated: "there was nobody else contacted by many reports. TMobile eyed their puppet"

So I had a simple question. Who else was interested to build out a fourth network? Your answer speaks volumes as you don't have a single company that has expressed interest in doing that. Not one. Yet you're trying to accuse T-Mobile of ignoring other choices to "pick" Dish.

Until you name other choices who would have also accepted this deal, you can't claim T-Mobile picked. I maintain that T-Mobile involved the only available company so that they could get DOJ approval. That's the only company that I've seen that expressed any interest.

If you present evidence to the contrary, I will review it.

Not at all. I'm suggesting nobody else was interested. And I already stated the likely reason that nobody else was interested---because any other company didn't have the spectrum position that Dish has.

It's not what I "feel". The agreement with Dish was vital to get this far. Whether the judge will be overly concerned with Dish remains to be seen once the verdict is issued.
    J.L. just seemed to contradict your assertion that TMobile only made a deal with dish, because dish was the only interested party.

"Legere said Dish stood out over prospective buyers Comcast Corp. and Charter Communications Inc. because Dish had become a “hoarder” of a “vast quantity of spectrum,” which had long frustrated the T-Mobile CEO."

So it appears TMobile did seek out a deal with dish, over other companies. Now someone can debate if J.L. is being truthful for the reasons they went with dish, and whether or not it was a wise choice to do so, but, I don't think you can debate anymore that it appears TMobile had other interested parties besides Dish Network.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Every month or two I like to voice my thoughts about the proposed marriage. And I am consistent for over a year I've said it ain't happening.

So I'll say it. This merger ain't happening. And Softbank/Japan will continue to fund Sprint for at least 2-5 years once the verdict is final.
    I hope you're right. Every objective measure says that this is a terrible idea and will significantly reduce competition. The best case scenario is that the merger fails, Sprint fails, and is bought up by a consortium of cable companies who can both reduce costs for backhaul and invest a lot of money into Sprint.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Having used satellite phones, it would surprise me if LEO technology could be made to support what we are used to in mobile phone service. The problem is that LEO satellites are generally low-power devices (as compared with either GEO satellites or terrestrial cellular). You need a clear line-of-sight between the handset and the satellite. This is why most satellite handsets have antennas that extend above the user's head. They don't work indoors or inside most vehicles (convertibles excepted) unless you have an outside antenna. Large buildings or even trees block the signals. I am in favor of using LEO or HAP technology to deliver services to rural areas but with an understanding that compromises will be needed.
    I didn’t make it clear that I was talking about LEO satellite similar to backhaul for towers, small cells on poles, home or business with either Cellspot or simple WiFi local transmitters to Mobile devices. This is LEO satellite in orbit about 375 miles up with less than 2 milliseconds latency. Space-X has been approved for about 32K LEO satellite world wide. Other companies are adding more over the USA. Yes there would still be cell phone towers connected to the satellites network. Plus Anyone that wants a pizza box size antenna on their home or any building for Internet service or power poll could get WiFi connection to their home or cell phones. The network moves up to the satellite in something like a token ring network that uses hundreds of millions of ground stations for the last mile service. It sure would take out a lot of local NIMBY issues moving the big towers to the satellites.

LEO 2 millisecond latency https://youtu.be/-9CM3d5UO6A

Also update on Space-X project Starlink that goes into ISP service in 2020. https://youtu.be/rroLzV4V4Jk
    Last edited by shilohcane; 12-13-2019 at 12:18 AM.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, legacy Sprint is still in a no-win situation for the consumer.

While Dish CEO Ergen is one of the business people I completely despise - from the late 90s when I had Dish Network and they kept changing channels around and I needed a second dish and had 3 dish configuration changes from incompetent installers to the recent years where he has hoarded spectrum that he should have rightfully lost. I know all companies put their bottom line first, but Dish really takes every opportunity to wiggle out of things, charge more, etc.

That opinion aside, the best hope for a 4th national network is someone who already has spectrum. That really does paint Dish as the best opportunity.

FWIW, even with 4 carriers today, and Sprint throwing the kitchen sink at customers, they all only somewhat compete. Most of the time it's really more of leapfrog to increase a cost than to lower a cost.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    J.L. just seemed to contradict your assertion that TMobile only made a deal with dish, because dish was the only interested party.

"Legere said Dish stood out over prospective buyers Comcast Corp. and Charter Communications Inc. because Dish had become a “hoarder” of a “vast quantity of spectrum,” which had long frustrated the T-Mobile CEO."

So it appears TMobile did seek out a deal with dish, over other companies. Now someone can debate if J.L. is being truthful for the reasons they went with dish, and whether or not it was a wise choice to do so, but, I don't think you can debate anymore that it appears TMobile had other interested parties besides Dish Network.
    The last thing Legere would have wanted was Comcast as a competitor. Dish is a much weaker competitor.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    The last thing Legere would have wanted was Comcast as a competitor. Dish is a much weaker competitor.
    That's what some say. TMobile picked a company they know will never be a threat to them, and they hold a high likelihood of obtaining spectrum back from them in time, even may get boost back eventually. They just loaned dish boost and some spectrum for a few years.

Page 10 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 60 ... LastLast