Page 50 of 72 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast

Thread: The final obstacle to the T-Mobile/Sprint Merger Begins Tomorrow

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Well, I don't know how to perform a heart transplant, but I know it can be done. I might not know how to fix Sprint, but the other three national cell companies seem to making a go of it in this business, so clearly there are some people on the planet capable of figuring out how to run a wireless company profitably. Just because Sprint has made mistakes and has had management challenges doesn't mean they're eternally cursed. Even the Red Sox and the Cubs turned things around eventually...
    Sprint reminds me of the child who kills his parents and then begs the judge for mercy because he's an orphan. They seem to be intentionally not fixing their network in an effort to get this merger to go through. It's similar to what T-Mobile was doing when they wanted to merge with AT&T. Insisting that the merger would free up capital to invest in the network and insisting that they could not continue as a standalone entity. At least T-Mobile emerged with a lot of cash and other benefits when the merger failed.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    HERETIC!

HERETIC!!

HERETIC!!!

(Sorry, just practicing in case they hook me me up with the cult leader like I asked...)
    Be careful, you may get a free vacation from HF for that post.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    So they may get a verdict by the end of the month? Seems like its been forever since they announced the deal

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    So they may get a verdict by the end of the month? Seems like its been forever since they announced the deal
    Closing arguments at the end of the month. Judgment maybe in March (2020). An out of court settlement between the parties could happen any time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Closing arguments at the end of the month. Judgment maybe in March (2020). An out of court settlement between the parties could happen any time.
    Little off. Closing arguments are next Wednesday (15th), and a ruling is expected by first weekish of February.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    They seem to be intentionally not fixing their network in an effort to get this merger to go through.
    Were they intentionally not fixing their network in 2017 before the merger was announced? Or in 2014 or in 2012 or in 2009?

This accusation that they are intentionally not fixing their network is another false allegation that has no basis in any kind of fact. This is just more false propaganda from a merger opponent. Sprint doesn't have the wherewithal to make a better network as long term history has shown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    Little off. Closing arguments are next Wednesday (15th), and a ruling is expected by first weekish of February.
    You're correct about the closing arguments. However, according to the Sprint CEO yesterday, there's nothing definite beyond that:

"Sprint (NYSE: S), T-Mobile (Nasdaq: TMUS) and the 13 states and the District of Columbia will give closing arguments Jan. 15. But Combes wrote in an email to employees that there is no specific timing beyond this date and that he expects "to wait at least a few weeks, possibly longer" for a formal decision. "

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasci...-timeline.html

So both February and March have both been seen as possible months for a decision to be issued.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Were they intentionally not fixing their network in 2017 before the merger was announced? Or in 2014 or in 2012 or in 2009?

This accusation that they are intentionally not fixing their network is another false allegation that has no basis in any kind of fact. This is just more false propaganda from a merger opponent. Sprint doesn't have the wherewithal to make a better network as long term history has shown.
    Sprints network did show improvement before the merger announcement yes. Both in 3rd party tests and customer experience. As far as not fixing their Network since the merger announcement, I don't agree with that completely either. Since the merger announcement they have deployed volte and their 5g service is arguably the best out of all 4 carriers right now, if you factor both speed and coverage. They don't have the speeds of verizon on 5g, but offer better 5g coverage, they don't have the 5g coverage of tmobile, but offer better speeds. It's just as much propaganda to try to convince people "Sprint has done nothing with their Network since 2009".

I'd argue that Sprint has intentionally been less competitive in order to get the merger passed, over trying to argue they haven't tried to improve their network. I'd argue the same with TMobile, though with Tmobiles momentum it hasn't hurt their quarterly. That's the thing with momentum, when you have it, it takes a while for any mistakes or lapses you do have, to catch up with you.

Feedback Score
    It's just as much propaganda to try to convince people "Sprint has done nothing with their Network since 2009".
    To clarify, I never indicated they have made no improvements since 2009. But their network had shortcomings back then and it has had shortcomings for years. Ask ilvla2 how much Sprint coverage he had in his area of Northern California for example.

You used quote marks, so perhaps you were quoting another source of which I am unaware.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'd argue that Sprint has intentionally been less competitive in order to get the merger passed, over trying to argue they haven't tried to improve their network.
    Hopefully this is as clear to the judge as it is to everyone else.

Remember, up until a couple of years ago, Sprint had more customers than T-Mobile and it was T-Mobile that was intentionally not investing in their network in an effort to convince regulators to approve the AT&T/T-Mobile merger. We heard the same narrative of "without the merger T-Mobile will cease to exist," something that had no basis in reality.

One statement, by someone still posting here stood out, "I think it should be clear that any outcome that leaves the US with only 3 national carriers in <sic> contrary to the public interest."

The general consensus of the AT&T/T-Mobile merger was that it was bad because it would reduce competition. Now you have some of the same people proclaiming that the T-Mobile/Sprint merger is good, despite the fact that it will reduce competition. One thread has 1829 posts in 122 pages https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...e-T-Mobile-USA. I didn't read all of them, but I didn't see any in favor of the merger.

Feedback Score
    Remember, up until a couple of years ago, Sprint had more customers than T-Mobile and it was T-Mobile that was intentionally not investing in their network in an effort to convince regulators to approve the AT&T/T-Mobile merger.
    This is just more of your false allegations that aren't based in reality. You have no evidence of this. You just make it up.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Well then what do you think the % of TM subscribers that use international roaming in a year?
    Depends if you include Canada or not. I'd guess 15-20% including Canada, maybe 10% without. It's hard to say. Mexico is a big one too, and it would be hard to filter the data on Mexico and Canada, as you could roam on them from within the US.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    And yes, I'm aware that DISH will be propped up for 7-years as a T-Mobile MVNO while they build out a network. Isn't that the best part of this merger deal? The built-in delays so the market damage the deal will cause is pushed out far enough that we'll all forget why when it finally happens?
    This is the essence of the problem of the DISH deal right here. DISH will be an afterthought that doesn't matter by then, and barely anyone would notice when they sell their spectrum to AT&T and Verizon.

And yes, I do have some issues with T-Mobile. Their nationwide coverage still lags well behind the big two, and their domestic roaming policies suck. But those are problems that effect me what, a few times a year? You didn't bother quoting my truck analogy from that same thread where I compared putting up with T-Mo's lousy roaming coverage to not owning a truck even though I might need to move a couch once a year- it's easier and cheaper to rent a truck when I need one than to own an uncomfortable gas guzzler the 364 days a year I don't. Similarly, it's cheaper to use T-Mo reliably 50 weeks a year, and augment with prepaid service from AT&T (or an MVNO) the other few weeks when I'm someplace T-Mo doesn't cover adequately.
    Your pragmatism and grip on reality is refreshing, since you're coming from the position of someone who actually uses T-Mobile for your main line.

I change devices far too often, and like the freedom to buy devices from sources other than my wireless carrier.
    That's where T-Mobile really shines, as long as you have a branded device with B12 for when you're going to be in a USCC Extended area.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    That's the way Karl Bode has been for years. He did that all the time at DSLrpeorts. His articles were listed under the NEWS section all it was OP-ed. of course his fanboys took his "news" as gospel and god forbid you call him out on his lack of journalistic standards.
    Karl Bode just says it like it is. Sure, it's analysis, but he's extremely sharp, and he knows what he's talking about. Just because you're apparently an apologist for the telecoms doesn't make Karl Bode wrong.

That's Dish's problem. It's a free market. Dish has already made a significant investment into the spectrum. Whether their network is good or bad is no concern of mine. If it's bad, then that will be bad for Dish. Profit is enough incentive to make their network appealing to the marketplace.
    Profit is a great incentive. To sit on the spectrum, pay the fines, and sell it to the highest bidder. The problem is, in the process, they have made their spectrum less valuable. It's a weird play to be sure. DISH should never have gotten near this deal, fought it, and then sold their spectrum off to T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon.

I didn't have any issues with T-Mobile service when I signed up with them. Unlike you, I don't go around complaining about them constantly. If I go to a restaurant and I get bad food or bad service, I don't go back. I don't keep returning for more disappointment. That's the same way I treat any product or service. If I am not satisfied with something, I stop buying it.
    Yet you go around claiming T-Mobile's network is somehow as good as AT&T's or Verizon, even when it is clearly not. Saying T-Mobile is good enough for you and it's at a price you like is fine, claiming it's equivalent to AT&T or Verizon or that you always have coverage is just a lie. Claiming you always have coverage even if you have two phones, one with AT&T and Verizon, and one with Google Fi would be a lie.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Another issue with Sprint is they don't really have enough mid range band capacity to properly roll out 5G. Their Band 2 handles the bulk of their traffic. Because B41 natively has a short coverage area and poor building penetration, it takes a lot of resources to utilize that spectrum properly with LTE or 5G. Sprint doesn't have the resources to do that.

And people aren't "getting this", because they don't want to. It kills their argument if they accept that fact.
    If they focus on major metros, B41/n41 is no longer a disadvantage, and is actually an advantage now compared to Verizon's mmWave and paltry sub-6 holdings, both of which require high densities of sites. Sprint now has the least capital-intensive way to provide 5G, and it's 5G that will actually be better in many ways (even if the top speed is much lower) than the mmWave that the other carriers are using.

I know that for many people, they never travel outside of urban areas and they are perfectly happy with T-Mobile coverage. I was not. I often go to South Florida, and Florida is one place where T-Mobile really struggles. We like to travel to areas outside urban areas where T-Mobile has no coverage and no roaming. YMMV.
    I'm going to be down in FL next month. I thought FL was a T-Mobile stronghold? I guess I'll have to see for myself. I was expecting T-Mobile to be really good in SoCal, and while it was mostly fine, there were a couple of places that didn't have good T-Mobile service, but did have good AT&T service, and none that were the other way around, and speeds weren't impressive in comparison.

Be careful, you may get a free vacation from HF for that post.
    Hah, the level of collective self-awareness on this forum has gone up quite a bit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Yet you go around claiming T-Mobile's network is somehow as good as AT&T's or Verizon
    No I don't. And you can't quote a single post where I claimed such a thing. Don't make up things and try and attribute them to me!

or that you always have coverage is just a lie.
    You're NEVER around me when I use my phone. You don't know me. You don't know all the places I go or where I travel to. Therefore you have zero basis whatsoever to say my statement is a lie. Why makes statements about things you know nothing about? Because you're just here to attack T-Mobile users and bad mouth a company that you can't stand.

Page 50 of 72 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast