Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast

Thread: The final obstacle to the T-Mobile/Sprint Merger Begins Tomorrow

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Trial is finished;

Testimony ends in T-Mobile-Sprint merger trial in New York https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKBN1YO2CV

“ The states and the companies now have until Jan. 8 to submit proposed factual findings in writing to U.S. District Judge Victor Marrero in Manhattan federal court. The judge scheduled closing arguments for Jan. 15.“

“ In a court filing on Friday, the Justice Department and FCC urged Marrero to rule against the states, saying that if the deal were blocked, rural areas of the United States would be slower to get access to 5G, the next generation of wireless.“

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Justice Department, FCC File Papers Supporting T-Mobile-Sprint Merger Federal officials criticize states’ challenge in brief filed near the end of antitrust trial.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...le-sprint-deal
    Last edited by shilohcane; 12-20-2019 at 10:46 PM.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well this one has to put the Merger over the top.... Really the AGs didn’t see this one coming....

Ergen: SoftBank offered to help finance Dish's acquisition of Sprint prepaid brand

Although it seems SoftBank Group Corp. has given up on financing Sprint Corp., the Japanese conglomerate may be willing to fund the wireless carrier that ultimately would become the nation's fourth player if the current No. 3 and No. 4 carriers merge.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasci...p-to-dish.html

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    Do you have anything more recent to suggest otherwise? Timing is a little off as well, it was testified the email was from December 2017, we are in December of 2019. But, why let the actual facts get in the way of a good story, am I right?
    Sorry thought the email was June 2017, but seeing as how at&t sent me an email in Jan 2019 saying my prices wouldn't go up for 2 years and yet I just got another email this month saying my bill was going up by $10, I'll stick to what I said. No way softbank feels the same about Sprint as they did 2 years ago. And there's this "But an even bigger worry for Sprint now may be that SoftBank’s founder has moved on. Son, the second-richest person in Japan and largest SoftBank shareholder, is consumed by multibillion-dollar projects like the Vision Fund and focused on a goal of raising a new $100 billion fund every couple years. His commitment to Sprint is fading, analysts say, even though his company holds an 84 percent stake.

“Masa Son has lost interest in being a wireless carrier,” said Roger Entner, an analyst with Recon Analytics LLC. “You can see that in him selling off part of SoftBank’s wireless operations in Japan, his underinvesting in the U.S. and trying to sell Sprint to T-Mobile. So the problem is significantly beyond money.”
    https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...thout-t-mobile

Sent from my LG-H918 using HoFo mobile app
    Speeds from my HTC Sensation The last one is Roadrunner-Way to impress, Time Warner

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MasonDoctorJT View Post
    Sorry thought the email was June 2017, but seeing as how at&t sent me an email in Jan 2019 saying my prices wouldn't go up for 2 years and yet I just got another email this month saying my bill was going up by $10, I'll stick to what I said. No way softbank feels the same about Sprint as they did 2 years ago. And there's this "But an even bigger worry for Sprint now may be that SoftBank’s founder has moved on. Son, the second-richest person in Japan and largest SoftBank shareholder, is consumed by multibillion-dollar projects like the Vision Fund and focused on a goal of raising a new $100 billion fund every couple years. His commitment to Sprint is fading, analysts say, even though his company holds an 84 percent stake.

“Masa Son has lost interest in being a wireless carrier,” said Roger Entner, an analyst with Recon Analytics LLC. “You can see that in him selling off part of SoftBank’s wireless operations in Japan, his underinvesting in the U.S. and trying to sell Sprint to T-Mobile. So the problem is significantly beyond money.”
    https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...thout-t-mobile

Sent from my LG-H918 using HoFo mobile app
    I'm not sure analysts opinions mean hard facts. I would assume SoftBank would know the art of the leak, and why a leak picked up by an "analyst" and published would be beneficial. I've seen analysts who cover Japan say if push came to shove, SoftBank would bail out sprint, as their ownership stake in the company is too high not to. So which analyst is right? Which one is wrong? Related story, I got to see those of Skywalker Wednesday night. Had a friend with a media preview viewing and she had a +1, so got to see it a few days early, and no line! Lol, Now I'm not a huge star wars fan, but seen most of the movies. Can you believe after the movie "analysts" were trying to convince me the rise of Skywalker was great, and it made sense? Anyways, I think softbanks past proves that if needed, they would bail out sprint, but the huge word is "if needed".
    Last edited by hofonewb9; 12-21-2019 at 07:14 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Well this one has to put the Merger over the top.... Really the AGs didn’t see this one coming....

Ergen: SoftBank offered to help finance Dish's acquisition of Sprint prepaid brand

Although it seems SoftBank Group Corp. has given up on financing Sprint Corp., the Japanese conglomerate may be willing to fund the wireless carrier that ultimately would become the nation's fourth player if the current No. 3 and No. 4 carriers merge.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasci...p-to-dish.html
    Of course they saw it coming....it came up in defense questioning ....and it doesn't help the defense or "put the merger over the top". It's not a positive for the merger.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Where is the growth for dish in wireless? Dish offers service in zero markets? Again the total amount of debt isn't the important number. Dish has a pretty high debt load for as small as they really are. How are they planning on undercutting the competition, while borrowing heavily? Why wouldn't a bank loan Sprint money? Has Sprint ever defaulted on a debt note or loan?
    Given Dish's financial position, and given Ergen's reputation for being cheap, Dish is unlikely to make the CapEx necessary to build a fourth nationwide network to compete with AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon.

More likely that they'll take the Boost and Virgin customers and operate a cut-rate, limited-coverage, network, which is exactly what Boost and Virgin are doing now. T-Mobile will then strive to become a third top-tier network to compete on quality with AT&T and Verizon, and will make the CapEx to do so.
    Last edited by CanadianAngela; 12-21-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    A glorified MVNO isn't much of a competitor. We already have tons of MVNOs. Heck, Wal-Mart basically runs their own carrier with America Movil if you include MVNOs.

$10B is a JOKE. J. O. K. E. JOKE. Verizon is spending a paltry $18B this year, while AT&T is spending $23B this year. And somehow DISH is going to spend $10B TOTAL?

Why would Comcast and Charter want to be involved with that mess? DISH is going to have a terrible network, even compared to Sprint.

T-Mobile has a heck of a long way to go before they will have "coverage virtually everywhere".

How? Verizon is betting on mmWave only because they have to build out a ton of small cells to deal with their sub-6 spectrum position, which sucks. It's not going to work at scale for the other carriers. T-Mobile has only spent $5.7B in CAPEX this year, roughly 1/3 that of Verizon and 1/4 that of AT&T, meanwhile Verizon is building 1400 route miles of fiber per month. Month after month after month. That's basically the equivalent of New York to LA every 60 days.

John Legere has been very successful at mining a middleground in the market between the big boys and Sprint, but a lot of the claims he makes are patently ridiculous.
    T-Mobile wants to move out of the middle ground where they have to compete solely on price and be a third big boy. This deal is necessary for that to occur. It's not a bad argument for them to concede that the merger is going to hurt the customers that are always looking for the low-priced option but will help the customers that are currently forced to choose between the two high-priced option of AT&T and Verizon. You currently have a duopoly of AT&T and Verizon which does keep prices high for corporate and government customers, as well as for individual customers that care about coverage.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1¹ weI'm not sure, but a larger question, Why isn't Sprint allowed to get financing from banks though? Have they missed any note payments to where son had to bail them out, or a bank wouldn't offer them any type of financing? I'm not sure I get this argument from people. Son stated in an email he would repay the notes, if he had to. Has he had to? Has Sprint defaulted anywhere? I also still don't get the argument that somehow, dish getting billions in bank loans = good, Sprint getting billions in bank loans = bad. They both have a pretty high long term debt load. Having to borrow billions really isn't ideal for either corporation honestly. I mean the question is out there "would they want to" but, I think SoftBank proved with wework, that if push comes to shove, they will bail out their entities.
    I am also astounded that Softbank and Mayoshi Son have been tricked into invested into so many loser companies. Sprint. WeWork. Uber. Comdex. But I guess those investments are insignificant compared to the money he made with Alibaba and Yahoo Japan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    I am also astounded that Softbank and Mayoshi Son have been tricked into invested into so many loser companies. Sprint. WeWork. Uber. Comdex. But I guess those investments are insignificant compared to the money he made with Alibaba and Yahoo Japan.
    I think (and someone else here posted something similar) that SoftBank just throws money into anything and almost everything, knowing that the Japanese government will never let them fail. People sometimes act like SoftBank is an American company, following American rules and regulations, this isn't quite the case. Japan does things a little differently. I think SoftBank and Toyota are 2 companies that the government will never let fail or die.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This can't be true. They just bailed out wework in October of this year. Do you have Son's quote where he says that?
    https://www.inc.com/business-insider...-drop-ipo.html
    Of course he'll say anything now to get the merger approved. But the reality is that he'll have no choice but to bail out Sprint if the merger fails. A lot of other companies would love to purchase Sprint because of all its assets.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    ...More likely that they'll take the Boost and Virgin customers and operate a cut-rate, limited-coverage, network with limited coverage, which is exactly what Boost and Virgin are doing now.....
    That's one possibility but it's also possible that Dish will find a partner and use their their extensive low-band holdings to build a network. There are many ways to do it less expensively using new technology. One that was pointed out to me recently is by using emerging LEO satellite technology for rural backahul. Think about the advantage of not having to provide fiber backhaul to low-traffic sites. They could also partner with T-Mobile (or other carriers) on sites by using network and signal sharing capabilities built into LTE and presumably into 5G too. We shouldn't be bound by the way things were done in the past as a guide to how they have to be done in the future.

One thing is clear: The time has come that Dish has to either cut bait or fish. Promises won't cut it any more Dish is on the hook for $2.2B if it doesn't happen.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Of course he'll say anything now to get the merger approved. But the reality is that he'll have no choice but to bail out Sprint if the merger fails. A lot of other companies would love to purchase Sprint because of all its assets.
    Unless he decides to just have Sprint get outside financing. As far as Sprint bring unprofitable, that really only affects Sprint and SoftBank. If he wanted to he can operate Sprint in the red for as long as he wants. As long as they make their debt notes, he's under zero obligation to have them turn a profit. This likely isnt what he wants, but, he could. I think people do take his text out of context. He says if needed they would pay the debt off. People asking why he hasn't then is the wrong question as the answer is easy, it hasn't been needed. Sprint is still able to fund themselves, if there comes a time they can't, I would expect SoftBank would then help out.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure why lightshed would be a good source for an opinion? They clearly say

"We have no experience in these matters, have sought no legal advice, and have no idea what Judge Marrero deems relevant in making his decision."

https://lightshedtmt.com/

Lol, so, they have no experience, got no clue if what's being argued is relevant or not, but feel the states didn't make a relevant argument, lol alrighty then.
    But they have a website, and writers who can regurgitate other blogs. Welcome to 21st century journalism!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    But they have a website, and writers who can regurgitate other blogs. Welcome to 21st century journalism!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Sad but true. Then another website takes their "analysis" and prints it because it's a "source" now. People then wonder why we have a misinformation issue.

Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast