Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast

Thread: The final obstacle to the T-Mobile/Sprint Merger Begins Tomorrow

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I wonder how many customers this affects? I think not many overall, I'd guess less than 1% of TM customers. I'll even say jokingly but serious that most TM customers that care about this haven't traveled internationally in over 5 years. They just want the option, it's wishful thinking on their part.
    Good question. I think it's a lot higher than 1%. Look at https://skift.com/2019/04/03/record-...untry-in-2018/ . 93 million Americans traveled outside the U.S. in 2018.

T-Mobile has about 80 million postpaid subscribers, though not all of those are on plans that include international roaming. It would not be surprising if >10% of those subscribers travel internationally each year. A postpaid subscriber probably has higher income than a prepaid subscriber and would be more likely to take international business or leisure trips. OTOH, corporate phone plans would be unlikely to be using T-Mobile so that skews the numbers down for T-Mobile.

When I'm with associates, friends, and relatives that are having coverage problems in the U.S., and I ask them why they stick with T-Mobile despite the coverage issues, invariably the answer is "because of the international roaming."

I work for a large technology company and my circle includes people with similar types of jobs that involve frequent travel, or they travel internationally on vacation fairly often. The only reason they're on T-Mobile is because of the international roaming. I would not want to claim that my experience is the norm, but I will say that the included international roaming is a very big selling point for T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    I'm going to be down in FL next month. I thought FL was a T-Mobile stronghold? I guess I'll have to see for myself. I was expecting T-Mobile to be really good in SoCal, and while it was mostly fine, there were a couple of places that didn't have good T-Mobile service, but did have good AT&T service, and none that were the other way around, and speeds weren't impressive in comparison.
    If you stay in the highly-populated areas you'll be fine with any of the four carriers. If you take some back roads trips, which are fascinating in Florida, or go into the national forests or national parks, maybe not so fine. I like traveling to Florida (especially in the cooler winter months), not for the theme parks or the beaches, but for the small southern towns with character.

Feedback Score
    93 million Americans traveled outside the U.S. in 2018?

I gotta think 70 million or so are counted multiple times.

Did some quick math based on assumed numbers. I'll up my estimate to <3% of TM customers.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm going to be down in FL next month. I thought FL was a T-Mobile stronghold? I guess I'll have to see for myself. I was expecting T-Mobile to be really good in SoCal, and while it was mostly fine, there were a couple of places that didn't have good T-Mobile service, but did have good AT&T service, and none that were the other way around, and speeds weren't impressive in comparison.
    T-Mobile in SoCal is generally quite good. The speeds in some of the urban areas are kinda :meh: however, as T-Mobile has the majority of its customers in the urban areas. In some areas, I get higher speeds on AT&T (Woodland Hills Fry's - pretty much out of business), and many areas I get better speeds on T-Mobile (Santa Clarita Valley). As I do have service on both (work/personal) I can typically compare. AT&T (and Verizon) have been rural coverage, however. T-Mobile is still lacking in that area.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    My sister has used the 128kb/sec roaming twice the last 3 years traveling. 3 years ago I signed up for Verizon and used their $10/day roaming (full speed) when my trial of T-Mobile in 2016 wasn't satisfactory. Sept 2018 we went to England and she used it again, while I used a 3 SIM.

I'll see if I keep my current T-Mobile (which is better for me than 2016 here in Oklahoma) long enough that I travel internationally again. But I would suspect that the percentage who use international roaming is significantly less than that (though I guess people who live near Canada and the people who travel to Mexico bump the numbers up).
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    you're just here to attack T-Mobile users
    So you take someone questioning the merits of the merger, and questioning your reasons behind being pro merger, as a personal attack on you and all TMobile users? Lol alrighty, odd stance.

Feedback Score
    Won’t three Carriers release less Greenhouse Gas then four?

Oh wait they will probably need a marketing department...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    No I don't. And you can't quote a single post where I claimed such a thing. Don't make up things and try and attribute them to me!
    My bad, I forgot the part about how you change your argument constantly in order to argue with people and rile everyone up.

You're NEVER around me when I use my phone. You don't know me. You don't know all the places I go or where I travel to. Therefore you have zero basis whatsoever to say my statement is a lie. Why makes statements about things you know nothing about? Because you're just here to attack T-Mobile users and bad mouth a company that you can't stand.
    Anyone who claims that they always have coverage with any phone is lying. Period. There are even spots that Wilson Electronics (WeBoost) boosters can't pick up signals. Heck, in the largest city in the US, there are tons of dead spots in buildings and underground. It's part of life. Cell phones don't work everywhere. There's no need to attack and distract from the fact that cell phones don't always have service.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    If you stay in the highly-populated areas you'll be fine with any of the four carriers. If you take some back roads trips, which are fascinating in Florida, or go into the national forests or national parks, maybe not so fine. I like traveling to Florida (especially in the cooler winter months), not for the theme parks or the beaches, but for the small southern towns with character.
    We're going to hit a few pretty out there back roads in western central Florida. My friend has Verizon, I have AT&T, and I have a Mint phone, so we'll see how they hold up.

Yeah, the flying statistics are wild, you have to filter out the frequent fliers, since you find that something like 3% of airline passengers account for a double-digit percentage of miles flown. The top 1% or so are even more extreme. Look at the people on FlyerTalk who fly several hundred flights a year....

Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    T-Mobile in SoCal is generally quite good. The speeds in some of the urban areas are kinda :meh: however, as T-Mobile has the majority of its customers in the urban areas. In some areas, I get higher speeds on AT&T (Woodland Hills Fry's - pretty much out of business), and many areas I get better speeds on T-Mobile (Santa Clarita Valley). As I do have service on both (work/personal) I can typically compare. AT&T (and Verizon) have been rural coverage, however. T-Mobile is still lacking in that area.
    I was expecting T-Mobile to be the best based on what I've read about SoCal being a stronghold, and I was rather disappointed in that regard. They weren't bad, but there were a few major holes in their coverage where AT&T was fine. We hit one Verizon-only remote solar-powered tower out in the desert where nothing else worked for many miles. My Google Fi phone picked up Verizon 3G via USCC roaming.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    So you take someone questioning the merits of the merger, and questioning your reasons behind being pro merger, as a personal attack on you and all TMobile users?
    Not at all. Read the part of the post that I quoted and my response to it. Someone that attribute false statements to other people and criticizes them for things that they did not say and someone who accuses others of lying (when he would have absolutely no way of assessing such a thing) is doing that for only one reason, they're just doing that to attack others.

I've never classified someone having a different opinion than me as an attack.

Feedback Score
    My bad, I forgot the part about how you change your argument constantly
    I've got over 14,000 posts on HoFo and yet you can't click the Quote button on a single one where I claimed that "T-Mobile's network is somehow as good as AT&T's or Verizon." That's quite telling.

Anyone who claims that they always have coverage with any phone is lying. Period. There are even spots that Wilson Electronics (WeBoost) boosters can't pick up signals. Heck, in the largest city in the US, there are tons of dead spots in buildings and underground.
    I don't know what kind of concrete bunkers and underground sewer tunnels you're hanging out in with your Mint service whenever you lose coverage, and I don't really care. All I can speak to is where I go and where I use my phone. And when I land in a city and turn my phone on, I have service. Wherever I go in that city, I have service. On the highways and freeways I travel on, I have service. As I said, you have no specifics on these locations nor do you have any position to be stating that I'm lying about anything. It's clearly just some impulse that you have to attack T-Mobile customers by making things up.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score

Guess that's possible, I don't know how they arrived at 93 million. I traveled internationally three times in 2019, wife twice, and kids once.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I was expecting T-Mobile to be the best based on what I've read about SoCal being a stronghold, and I was rather disappointed in that regard. They weren't bad, but there were a few major holes in their coverage where AT&T was fine. We hit one Verizon-only remote solar-powered tower out in the desert where nothing else worked for many miles. My Google Fi phone picked up Verizon 3G via USCC roaming.
    My experience in visiting California when I was on T-Mobile was that Southern California was fine. But driving up the I-5 to northern California there were a lot of coverage gaps. It's like T-Mobile in general, urban areas are fine, rural areas are not so fine.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    My bad, I forgot the part about how you change your argument constantly in order to argue with people and rile everyone up.
    Sigh, that's standard operating procedure unfortunately. It's fascinating to watch people upset with anyone that posts anything that they don't like about a carrier. And you only see that kind of thing in one carrier's forum. Perhaps there should be a study of this phenomena.

As to getting people riled up, it's not necessary. That's why HoFo created "ignore" lists. The rest of us can have a discussion, including arguing (nothing wrong with arguing), but the arguing should be based on referenced facts, not emotion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    When I'm with associates, friends, and relatives that are having coverage problems in the U.S., and I ask them why they stick with T-Mobile despite the coverage issues
    Of course, because according to you, everyone who has T-Mobile has such, terrible, awful coverage issues. The true facts are, T-Mobile just added another 1.9 million customers last quarter and over 7 million customers in 2019. You just keep speaking about these great coverage problems, yet they continue to lead the industry in subscriber additions, quarter after quarter.

Despite your propaganda about how bad coverage is, more and more people keep switching to T-mobile which must disappoint you terribly.

Feedback Score
    Of course, because according to you, everyone who has T-Mobile has such, terrible, awful coverage issues. The true facts are, T-Mobile just added another 1.9 million customers last quarter and over 7 million customers in 2019.
    So coverage is great, TMobile is adding customers left and right forcing at&t and Verizon to react to them. Seems like Sprint really isn't as big of a necessity as some make it seem eh? Sound like Sprint is more of a "want" than "need".

Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast