Page 65 of 72 FirstFirst ... 15 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 LastLast

Thread: The final obstacle to the T-Mobile/Sprint Merger Begins Tomorrow

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    That's the great thing about competition. The market will decide.

Son could've thrown a lot less money into Sprint than he did if his goal was let it meander until it merged with T-Mobile. He was clearly trying to make it a profitable entity on its own and he failed.

The market hasn't shown recent evidence that is can support four profitable national networks. It's only shown it can support three. And with new technology demanding that national network eventually be upgraded to 5G, it only makes the odds longer that a fourth MNO can operate profitably in this country.

The Obama administration ended his bid to merge in early 2014:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...hotgun/457281/

There was plenty of time for potential suitors to make bids for Sprint if they thought it was such a great deal. I know that the public doesn't always hear about every offer made. However, I haven't heard of analysts even saying, "You know Company A should buy Sprint as it would be a great profitable acquisition for them. " Seemingly people look at Sprint's numbers and don't see much of an upside.

The stock market seems very bleak on Sprint's future without T-mobile. That's the information that I've seen.
    He really didn't just throw money into sprint, he increased his share in the company each time, again, with the goal always being to merge with tmobile. This was his goal all along. Did the money help the company? Again debatable. By all accounts sprints network has improved every year. Sprint hasn't really lost customers, or gained customers over this time. They have stayed pretty much even all along. I don't think the market shows 4 can't survive at all. I think sprint could be profitable servicing 50-70 million customers and still provide competition to the other 3. Arguing the market can't support 4 would pretty much kill the doj's argument of dish being a viable 4th option then. You don't have to have the best network with coverage everywhere to compete. Tmobile should know this first hand, as they did it themselves, and already bought a carrier (metro) who did this as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MasonDoctorJT View Post
    Everyone thinking that Sprint can turn things around like T-Mobile did after the failed AT&t merger are delusional. First of all T-Mobile got spectrum and 4 billion dollars from AT&t, second of all T-Mobile didn't offer an iPhone at the time. John Legere made a deal with Apple to bring the iPhone to T-Mobile. He needed those 3 thing to be able to turn T-Mobile around. Sprint has none of that after a failed merger, all they have is their horrible reputation! Dish on the other hand has won awards for customer service with satellite, so you know many people here don't like Charlie Ergen, as a startup cell phone company they may have way more success than Sprint.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X505F using HoFo mobile app
    Sprint already holds more spectrum than tmobile got from at&t, so if softbank invests 4 billion into sprint, then they'd be fine? Lol seeing as they just threw 9.5b to wework, I'm not sure this is to far fetched.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    Sprint already holds more spectrum than tmobile got from at&t, so if softbank invests 4 billion into sprint, then they'd be fine? Lol seeing as they just threw 9.5b to wework, I'm not sure this is to far fetched.
    Sure considering Sprint would have to build 10 to 12 towers to cover the same number of customers than just one tower with either 600 Mha or 700 MHz. So now you expect a company that is well over, $40 Billion in debt, has hemorrhages customers since this merger has started, that has zero chance of even making a dollar profit should find some idiot bank a to loan them billions of dollars to challenge the top 3 networks for customers.

Simply another brilliant plan that Sprint should spend 10 to 12 times as much money every month, to use their short range spectrum as the other three networks. That is a going out of business plan. Oh by the way for the 4000th time SoftBank is only a stock holder to Sprint not the owner of Sprint that isn’t responsible for Sprint’s massive debt. SoftBank has already said that SoftBank isn’t going to pay off Sprint’s massive debt.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Arguing the market can't support 4 would pretty much kill the doj's argument of dish being a viable 4th option then.
    Especially considering that the 4th option will start with only 8-9 million prepaid customers that expect to pay very low prices in exchange for lower quality service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Sure considering Sprint would have to build 10 to 12 towers to cover the same number of customers than just one tower with either 600 Mha or 700 MHz. So now you expect a company that is well over, $40 Billion in debt, has hemorrhages customers since this merger has started, that has zero chance of even making a dollar profit should find some idiot bank a to loan them billions of dollars to challenge the top 3 networks for customers.

Simply another brilliant plan that Sprint should spend 10 to 12 times as much money every month, to use their short range spectrum as the other three networks. That is a going out of business plan. Oh by the way for the 4000th time SoftBank is only a stock holder to Sprint not the owner of Sprint that isn’t responsible for Sprint’s massive debt. SoftBank has already said that SoftBank isn’t going to pay off Sprint’s massive debt.
    Except tmobile didn't get 600 or 700 from at&t. They got band 4. If you want to argue something different we can. Sprint right now holds more low band than tmobile did right after the at&t merger failed.

Softbank also has privately said they would pay off sprints debt. So people generally will believe the argument that best supports their own opinion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    Especially considering that the 4th option will start with only 8-9 million prepaid customers that expect to pay very low prices in exchange for lower quality service.
    I think where people make the mistake is they feel they have to convince this board that the merger is good or bad. This is incorrect. The opinions on this board don't matter a bit. It's the judge that has to be convinced. People will have their opinion one way or another and really, nothing debated here will change a person's mind, but, when they are debating why the merger should pass, they tend to poke holes in tmobile and the DOJ's argument. Such as saying the market shows only 3 MNO's can be supported. The whole case may rest on how the judge views dish, and if he feels they can be a 4th carrier. If the answer is no, this merger will fail.

The comical part to me, is people paint sprint as this wreck of a company. Can't be saved, has nothing going for it, this and that. If the merger passes tmobile is merging with that company. Tmobile isn't just buying the assets, it is a merger and D.T. and Softbank are merging the 2 companies. So if that's the case, and sprint is a trainwreck with nothing going for it, tmobile made a terrible choice merging with them. People will say how incompetent son and Claure are, these 2 people will be on the new tmobile board of directors if approved. So its comical to see them bash a company, that tmobile is trying to merge with. I think the tech crowd is more pro merger, they see what could be with the combined network (of course, they don't have to deal with actually integrating the 2 companies) I think the average consumer is more skeptical of the merger. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by hofonewb9; 01-21-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Feedback Score
    If you want to argue something different we can. Sprint right now holds more low band than tmobile did right after the at&t merger failed.
    That band 26 was a nice asset when Nextel was using it for push to talk. It gets easily congested on LTE and doesn't provide very fast data speeds. So not much of an asset these days. That's why T-Mobile agreed to divest it to Dish.

Tmobile isn't just buying the assets, it is a merger and D.T. and Softbank are merging the 2 companies. So if that's the case, and sprint is a trainwreck with nothing going for it, tmobile made a terrible choice merging with them.
    T-Mobile would be moving the Sprint customers over to their network. They would be incorporating the Sprint spectrum into their network. The Sprint name, logo and branding would go completely away. And they'd be doing that because the company is a train wreck. It's not a "terrible choice" because some of the parts make it financially worth it to T-Mobile. The brand, reputation and the management do not have value.

People will say how incompetent son and Claure are, these 2 people will be on the new tmobile board of directors if approved.
    They're parked on the board to vote occasionally and DT will have more board members than Softbank. So their incompetence really will have no effect on how the new T-Mobile is managed.

Feedback Score
    That band 26 was a nice asset when Nextel was using it for push to talk. It gets easily congested on LTE and doesn't provide very fast data speeds. So not much of an asset these days. That's why T-Mobile agreed to divest it to Dish.
    Right, as I said, if the merger fails, Sprint still has more low band right now, than TMobile did when the at&t merger failed.
    You can argue the same thing about data speeds with Tmobiles band 12 and even their band 71 holdings where they only deployed 5x5 blocks for lte.
    T-Mobile would be moving the Sprint customers over to their network. They would be incorporating the Sprint spectrum into their network. The Sprint name, logo and branding would go completely away. And they'd be doing that because the company is a train wreck. It's not a "terrible choice" because some of the parts make it financially worth it to T-Mobile. The brand, reputation and the management do not have value.
    This would be fine, if TMobile were only purchasing the assets of Sprint. This is not happening.

They're parked on the board to vote occasionally and DT will have more board members than Softbank. So their incompetence really will have no effect on how the new T-Mobile is managed.
    They will hold more power than you, me, or anyone else on this forum. To say a company that owns over 20% of the business will have no effect on how it's run, is a misconception.

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes, but they already offer the iPhone. Something T-Mobile did not do prior to T-Mobile's turnaround. Sprint's had that mid-band spectrum for quite a while, why haven't they already done better with it? Answer bad management, and a bad reputation! they're not going to change their reputation unless they get a new name, and that name would be T-Mobile!

Speeds from my HTC Sensation The last one is Roadrunner-Way to impress, Time Warner

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    If the merger isn't approved Sprint is done for. Maybe not tomorrow, but eventually.

Their only hope would be to change their names and maybe try some sort of strategic partnership with someone like Dish.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Feedback Score
    I say it's 40-60 Sprint passes TM within 3 years without the huckster JL & his pep rallies.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTnT recurring {12*26} $13.50otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I say it's 40-60 Sprint passes TM within 3 years without the huckster JL & his pep rallies.
    I'll take that bet they don't. If the merger is killed in 3 years Sprint will have AT BEST 2/3 the number of subs they have now 100% guaranteed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MasonDoctorJT View Post
    Yes, but they already offer the iPhone. Something T-Mobile did not do prior to T-Mobile's turnaround. Sprint's had that mid-band spectrum for quite a while, why haven't they already done better with it? Answer bad management, and a bad reputation! they're not going to change their reputation unless they get a new name, and that name would be T-Mobile!

Depends what you mean by better. Sprint has quietly built arguably the best 5g network in the country right now. They've done a poor job at marketing it, which I believe may be intentionally done, though marketing is Sprints main downfall.
    Last edited by hofonewb9; 01-23-2020 at 06:19 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

The final obstacle to the T-Mobile/Sprint Merger Begins Tomorrow

Depends what you mean by better. Sprint has quietly built arguably the best 5g network in the country right now. They've done a poor job at marketing it, which I believe may be intentionally done, though marketing is Sprints main downfall.
    Most of Sprint’s key demographic is barely covered by 5G or not even covered at all. At least T-Mobile can market its 5G with some level of certainty that its similar-demographic customers can access it.

Boost being a major revenue stream for Sprint won’t get 5G anytime soon, regardless of merger result. That hurts marketing to Sprint’s key demographic.
    The Sprint-branded 5G plan required is as expensive as Verizon and At&t, and obviously more expensive than T-Mobile as they offer 5G free regardless of plan. This removes any marketing advantage Sprint has.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    Their only hope would be to change their names and maybe try some sort of strategic partnership with someone like Dish.
    Name change without a radical new business plan will be similar a coat of paint to a rotting piece of wood. Consumers tend to see through shallow name changes after a while.

A partnership might work, but only if the other partner is subsidizing the product and branding it as their own. I don’t see Dish doing this, as they seems to want to pay as little as possible to start their own partnership with New T-Mobile. Maybe they could get more cable companies onboard, but unfortunately they don’t have many larger ones available. They already partner with Altice, they lost ties to Cox because the SpectrumCo AWS sale terms. the other major ones are already involved with Verizon in a similar venture, or owned outright by a competitor.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Page 65 of 72 FirstFirst ... 15 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 LastLast