Page 60 of 72 FirstFirst ... 10 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 LastLast

Thread: The final obstacle to the T-Mobile/Sprint Merger Begins Tomorrow

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Economics 101 states that less competition means higher prices and/or less product/service. In this case, since AT&T and Verizon already offer more service, the only thing left is to raise prices. 50% of porting in and out of Sprint and T-Mobile is to the other, not to Verizon or AT&T.
    You theory assumes Sprint is actual competition. Which is where is falls apart right off the bat. Your own post shows that. You state "50% of porting in and out of Sprint and T-Mobile is to the other, not to Verizon or AT&T.". Which means Sprint is not competition for Verizon and at&t. And that matters

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It's funny how people who have chosen a lower-cost, less-coverage more competitive provider like T-Mobile are pushing so hard for higher prices and worse competition.
    Yes, that part of it is rather strange. Perhaps it's loyalty to John Legere, and his desire for the merger that is the reason.

They may not understand what the eventual result will be of less competition. They may mistakenly believe that if the merger does not go through that Sprint will go out of business anyway and it's better for T-Mobile to acquire them than to have their assets put up for sale. Of course there is no logical reason to believe that should the merger fail that Sprint will go out of business, just as when the AT&T/T-Mobile merger failed the doom and gloom predictions of what would happen to T-Mobile did not occur.

While we won't know the judge's decision for a while, clearly all the financial experts are betting that the merger will not occur based on the value of Sprint's share price. If the merger were likely then the Sprint share price would be close to what the value would be should the merger occur.

There is no upside in personal attacks over this whole thing, and hopefully the moderators will take action against those engaging in those attacks. If you are annoyed with what someone posts then simply add them to your ignore list, rather than responding. Often the best response is no response.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Layoffs are a reality of the work world. Even more so, if one works for a company that is doing poorly financially. If I were working at one of the few remaining Sears or Kmarts, I certainly would have a contingency plan for a potential lay off.

Unless one has a contract, nobody is owed a job.
    They are, but rooting for them just to seem correct on a forum board seems absurd. It's the same as rooting for a recession, because a person doesn't like the current administration. Recessions happen all the time and are a fact of life, but, rooting for them to seem correct on a meaningless forum debate is asinine to me. Also, to compare Sprint to Sears is a bit disingenuous, Sprint hasn't filed for bankruptcy. Let's not gloss over what SoftBank was saying before the merger with TMobile was announced. Son was saying Sprint would invest in the network, and sending texts to Sprint execs that he would pay off the debt if needed. These are what he was claiming, until the TMobile merger was announced, and let's not pretend Sprint came crawling to TMobile, Braxton was on record, long before merger talks resumed, about how much he wished they could get Sprint, how that's the one deal he wishes they'd get done. I'm sure both Braxton and Son would prefer option A, the Sprint deal gets done, but, sometimes we don't get what we want. They may both be forced to settle for option B.

I understand TMobile needs the image of Sprint having no hope, doom and gloom everywhere, babies dying and planets bursting if they don't get what they want, the reality of that though appears to be slim. Yet, there are likely some who hope for all those to happen, just to appear right, on a meaningless message board debate.
    Last edited by hofonewb9; 01-15-2020 at 05:47 PM.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Where I live, work and play T-Mobile is the highest rated network according to Rootmetrics. I never drop service now that I have 600 MHz that penetrate building where AT&T and Verizon doesn’t have service in that building. Just helped a friend drop Verizon and move to Metro by T-Mobile since she can get better service at a better price. Another friend that has free Sprint service from her employer is just hoping that Sprint and T-Mobile merger is approved.
    Are you in FL? I'll in in the Orlando- St. Petersburg- Ocala areas in about a month, so I'll have to see for myself. I was disappointed in SoCal, I had heard great things about T-Mobile there, and it was slightly behind AT&T on average. When I first tried T-Mobile, I was actually pleasantly surprised how not bad T-Mobile is in CT, but the coverage still isn't where AT&T is.

Also, for 27 consecutive financial quarters T-Mobile has led in getting new customers over the three other networks. T-Mobile is getting a lot of new customers from the other three networks not just from Sprint as you said.
    If 50% of the ports are back and forth, that means 50% are from somewhere else, like AT&T/Verizon in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    You theory assumes Sprint is actual competition. Which is where is falls apart right off the bat. Your own post shows that. You state "50% of porting in and out of Sprint and T-Mobile is to the other, not to Verizon or AT&T.". Which means Sprint is not competition for Verizon and at&t. And that matters
    Sprint and T-Mobile compete fiercely within their market. The service doesn't appeal much to me, but they do have millions of subscribers. USCC and T-Mobile Extended make Sprint usable in a lot of markets, but they're still a disaster in others.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    Yes, that part of it is rather strange. Perhaps it's loyalty to John Legere, and his desire for the merger that is the reason.

They may not understand what the eventual result will be of less competition. They may mistakenly believe that if the merger does not go through that Sprint will go out of business anyway and it's better for T-Mobile to acquire them than to have their assets put up for sale. Of course there is no logical reason to believe that should the merger fail that Sprint will go out of business, just as when the AT&T/T-Mobile merger failed the doom and gloom predictions of what would happen to T-Mobile did not occur.

While we won't know the judge's decision for a while, clearly all the financial experts are betting that the merger will not occur based on the value of Sprint's share price. If the merger were likely then the Sprint share price would be close to what the value would be should the merger occur.

There is no upside in personal attacks over this whole thing, and hopefully the moderators will take action against those engaging in those attacks. If you are annoyed with what someone posts then simply add them to your ignore list, rather than responding. Often the best response is no response.
    Well said and well thought out. You have a lot of restraint to not get sucked into the swamp like the T-Mobile trolls want.

Feedback Score
    ...50% of porting in and out of Sprint and T-Mobile is to the other, not to Verizon or AT&T.
    Fact or opinion? If fact please link the source.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    What really ticks me off a little is it being a 2 year process. Whether for or against the deal 2 years isnt efficient any way you look at it. I think April makes 2 years since they announced it

This could be analyzed scrutinized liked or disliked and decided in a year. I'm sure T-Mobile has delayed certain upgrades and builds which is understandable until they know for sure.
    This is definitely the part that irks the heck out of me. Really has been way too dramatic.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    What really ticks me off a little is it being a 2 year process. Whether for or against the deal 2 years isnt efficient any way you look at it. I think April makes 2 years since they announced it

This could be analyzed scrutinized liked or disliked and decided in a year. I'm sure T-Mobile has delayed certain upgrades and builds which is understandable until they know for sure.
    Agreed. This is what is bad for consumers.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X505F using HoFo mobile app
    Speeds from my HTC Sensation The last one is Roadrunner-Way to impress, Time Warner

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Fact or opinion? If fact please link the source.
    Somewhere earlier in this thread linked to a piece about it. I forget which company's porting ratio was the 50% number, but roughly half of both port in and out to each other, the other half being AT&T and Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by MasonDoctorJT View Post
    Agreed. This is what is bad for consumers.
    I hope both carriers have a serious contingency plan of where to work on their networks if they merger doesn't get approved. Sprint has a lot more work to do, but T-Mobile has been growing a lot and needs to both fill in holes and keep up with capacity.

Feedback Score
    They may not understand what the eventual result will be of less competition. They may mistakenly believe that if the merger does not go through that Sprint will go out of business anyway and it's better for T-Mobile to acquire them than to have their assets put up for sale. Of course there is no logical reason to believe that should the merger fail that Sprint will go out of business,
    The past 40 or 50 quarterly reports

just as when the AT&T/T-Mobile merger failed the doom and gloom predictions of what would happen to T-Mobile did not occur.
    A) T-Mobile got a boatload of spectrum from at&t
    B) T-Mobile got billions of $$$ from at&t( which they turned around an used to by even more spectrum from Verizon who was required to sell their spectrum to T-Mobile as part of acquiring PCS spectrum from the cable companies
    C) T-Mobile got a sweetheart deal to use at&t towers for free that just now ended in 2019.

That's why T-Mobile succeeded. Sprint will get none of that if this merger fails. Perhaps some fact checking before posting.

Also T-Mobile's parent corporation actually cared about making the company successful. Softbank does not care.

Hope the merger doesn't fail, but if it does I'll definately be back here when the inevitable happens to see if anyone admits they were wrong.

Feedback Score
    I hope both carriers have a serious contingency plan of where to work on their networks if they merger doesn't get approved. Sprint has a lot more work to do, but T-Mobile has been growing a lot and needs to both fill in holes and keep up with capacity.
    T-mobile hopes to outbid Verizon and at&t in the CBRS auction( won't happen ). Also hope that the FCC puts limits in the CBAND auction so Verizon an at&T don't grab it all. Of course they'd still have to out bid possible Dish and Charter and maybe others.

Sprint plan is to immediately cut jobs close stores and raise prices. Gradually sell off areas to the highest bidder and focus on only the big cities. No fixed wireless for rural areas. Within 10 years be out of business.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    T-mobile hopes to outbid Verizon and at&t in the CBRS auction( won't happen ). Also hope that the FCC puts limits in the CBAND auction so Verizon an at&T don't grab it all. Of course they'd still have to out bid possible Dish and Charter and maybe others.

Sprint plan is to immediately cut jobs close stores and raise prices. Gradually sell off areas to the highest bidder and focus on only the big cities. No fixed wireless for rural areas. Within 10 years be out of business.
    I don't know if they would be out of business but drastically cutting jobs and raising prices is on the menu to lower that debt. Along with becoming a urban regional carrier. Essentially a way worse outcome long term than letting tmobile acquire their assets and manage those assets with competent leadership and further growing the combined entities to employ more people and provide much better service over time.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    I'm sure both Braxton and Son would prefer option A, the Sprint deal gets done, but, sometimes we don't get what we want. They may both be forced to settle for option B.
    You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime you'll find you get what you need.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime you'll find you get what you need.
    Stones fan ??

BTW: good choice of cell phone in your profile, we do share that in common
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    I don't know if they would be out of business but drastically cutting jobs and raising prices is on the menu to lower that debt.
    More than likely plan price changes would effect new lines of service, not existing plans

Device(s)
    Looking for new one
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    More than likely plan price changes would effect new lines of service, not existing plans
    That is true but doesn't help their situation at all if they can't get new customers at that price.

Maybe they dump the costly roaming arrangement.

Page 60 of 72 FirstFirst ... 10 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 LastLast