Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Almost 2020, HDVoice interoperability with Verizon?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    There are many things in life I shouldn't *have* to compromise on, but yet I do.
    I agree. But like HD video, higher quality voice should be the minimum in the age where we are reaching 2Gbps speeds. Is that not a fair thing to ask for?

As long as T-Mo costs me 2/3rds of what I'd pay other carriers, I'll put up with 2/3rds of the service.
    That's fair. You can take my $40 line access fee on AT&T unlimited and pull it from my cold, dead hands.

90%+ of my voice usage is to other members of my family, who are either on my T-Mo plan or on a landline, so I never even knew until this thread that there was a carrier interoperability issue with this. I just assumed if both sides had VoLTE it would sound decent.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, most people I call are Verizon or AT&T, but in the blue moon where I have to call a T-Mobile customer, I would prefer to use FaceTime audio or something else. It's very jarring. Haven't talked to anyone with Sprint in ages now. I try to keep that negativity out of my life...

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Because it’s 2019 and you shouldn’t have to compromise such a basic feature. T-Mobile advertised that they had the best voice quality for years, but suddenly it doesn’t matter because they no longer do if you’re calling one of the 2/3 of the US with a cellphone that doesn’t have T-Mobile? Come on now...

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Keep in mind that implementing this requires cooperation on both ends. AT&T and Verizon may not want to work with T-Mobile on this, as it'd make T-Mobile just a little more competitive.

The 411 on Free 411
    Hanging Up on Telemarketers
    Need to waste some valuable time? Read my blog![/COLOR] Marion's Time Waster

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCingularUser View Post
    Keep in mind that implementing this requires cooperation on both ends. AT&T and Verizon may not want to work with T-Mobile on this, as it'd make T-Mobile just a little more competitive.
    Exactly right. There is no incentive for AT&T or Verizon to have a compatible standard. It's the great duopoly at work again.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Exactly right. There is no incentive for AT&T or Verizon to have a compatible standard. It's the great duopoly at work again.
    That's ok since T-Mobile is about to cream the duopoly after the sprint deal. They will have the best spectrum portfolio and will have the resources to build out like never before.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile all use AMR-WB 12.65 for HD Voice. That’s a pretty bold claim to make that they “don’t have a compatible standard” and that they’re somehow bullying T-Mobile out of HD Voice compatibility, seeing as Sprint, AT&T and Verizon have complete HD interconnect. Only one doesn’t.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCingularUser View Post

I do not think it is an AT&T or Verizon wireless issue, I would say it is either due to incompetence on T Mobile USA's end or it is not a high priority item for T Mobile USA to work on at this time considering they are planning to merge Sprint into their internal systems. Not to mention it is in AT&T and Verizon's interests for their HD Voice to work with all wireless carriers since that effects their customers experience when HD Voice calling does not work.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    I can confirm that VoLTE / HDVoice works between T-Mobile (unlocked version of Samsung Galaxy S9) and Verizon (IPhone 7).
    HD Voice calling does not work when calling my sister who uses Metro PCS a T Mobile owned MVNO. I am using Spectrum Mobile a Verizon MVNO.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I call my sister on ATT all the time. Our calls are good. We both use iPhone 11 Pro’s.

I think geeks like us tend-to-project what we think matters most to everyone but we’re often jaded.

Believe me when I say that things like HD Voice, Intel vs. Qualcomm and mmWave vs. low-band NR are not things the average user is asking for when buying new service or upgrading to a new phone.

Just my overly developed / advanced opinion. 🤪
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile all use AMR-WB 12.65 for HD Voice. That’s a pretty bold claim to make that they “don’t have a compatible standard” and that they’re somehow bullying T-Mobile out of HD Voice compatibility, seeing as Sprint, AT&T and Verizon have complete HD interconnect. Only one doesn’t.

Verizon supports EVS 13.2kHz as well.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I call my sister on ATT all the time. Our calls are good. We both use iPhone 11 Pro’s.

I think geeks like us tend-to-project what we think matters most to everyone but we’re often jaded.

Believe me when I say that things like HD Voice, Intel vs. Qualcomm and mmWave vs. low-band NR are not things the average user is asking for when buying new service or upgrading to a new phone.

Just my overly developed / advanced opinion.
    Agreed. Though I did notice how crummy Verizon CDMA (non-VoLTE) calls sound vs. T-Mo, since I was using Xfinity Mobile to park my old landline number back when Xfinity was "free."

I think most of us over 40 remember when phone calls sounded relative crummy, so most modern-day wireless calls meet or exceed our expectations anyway. Those of us under 40 text more than call, so (as Friends' Joey Tribbiani would say), it's a "moo" point.*

*("It's like a cow's opinion; it doesn't matter. It's 'moo'.")

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    I want to know what the hell is taking T-Mobile so long with getting interconnected with these other carriers. If T-Mobile had any interest in the well being of their customers and society as a whole they would act on this immediately.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S9, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score

AT&T also enabled the EVS codec on their network over a month ago.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    AT&T also enabled the EVS codec on their network over a month ago.
    Didn’t know that. Is it cross carrier or AT&T-AT&T only?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    I can confirm that VoLTE / HDVoice works between T-Mobile (unlocked version of Samsung Galaxy S9) and Verizon (IPhone 7).
    False information

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    False information
    I've heard it's area specific. It didn't work last time I checked here in DC.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast