Thread: At&t phones on T-Mobile, volte specifically?

Feedback Score

At&t phones on T-Mobile, volte specifically?

I have an unlocked at&t Motorola z2 force, it has most of TMobile's LTE bands, and I tried my TracFone T-Mobile SIM in it and it worked fine, but when I go to make a phone call it falls way down to edge data or no data at all. My question being if I'm in a T-Mobile band 12 only area will I not be able to make a phone call at all since TMobile band 12 is data only?
    I know for a fact TMobile and at&t on TracFone brands do support volte , should I forget about using this phone on T-Mobile since it appears I will have no volte?
    To add to my post, all my TracFone/net10/simple mobile branded phones work on volte on both T-Mobile and at&t , from a $25 LG rebel to my Simple Mobile iPhone. HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    If it doesn't support VoLTE, you'll definitely need GSM or 3G (WCDMA) for normal calling. Data technically makes no difference when making non-LTE voice calls.

T-Mobile is probably not a good fit for your area using VoLTE-unsupported phones, especially one that doesn't have all of their bands. Only having GSM calling, and the way it sounds not much of that, is problematic.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    If it doesn't support VoLTE, you'll definitely need GSM or 3G (WCDMA) for normal calling. Data technically makes no difference when making non-LTE voice calls.

T-Mobile is probably not a good fit for your area using VoLTE-unsupported phones, especially one that doesn't have all of their bands. Only having GSM calling, and the way it sounds not much of that, is problematic.

In the "so crazy it just might work" department, when I'm using a non-VoLTE or non-WiFi Calling phone on T-Mo, I use the T-Mo Digits app to access calls and texts over data.

I've noticed that T-Mo doesn't do a very good job with backwards compatibility, and I miss a lot of incoming calls on non-supported phones; the network doesn't seem to reliably "downgrade" the calls to 3G or 2G and often they go straight to voicemail. With Digits, those calls ring in on the Digits app and I don't miss them.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Z2 Force should have all the needed LTE bands for T-Mobile: https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_mo...force-8693.php
    That being said, I had issues with VoLTE on my previous Moto phones not being "recognized" by the network (Moto G4 Plus, Moto X Pure).
    You can try to force the VoLTE on manually, but if the server side doesn't accept it, call will fail.
    Dial *#*#4636#*#* and see if it works on your phone.
    Or you can try this app:
    https://apkpure.com/network/de.mangelow.network

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    In the "so crazy it just might work" department, when I'm using a non-VoLTE or non-WiFi Calling phone on T-Mo, I use the T-Mo Digits app to access calls and texts over data.

I've noticed that T-Mo doesn't do a very good job with backwards compatibility, and I miss a lot of incoming calls on non-supported phones; the network doesn't seem to reliably "downgrade" the calls to 3G or 2G and often they go straight to voicemail. With Digits, those calls ring in on the Digits app and I don't miss them.

Sadly Digits doesn't apply in OP's case since they are using an MVNO not T-Mobile directly.

That said, it is good information to know, and thank you for that.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    Sadly Digits doesn't apply in OP's case since they are using an MVNO not T-Mobile directly.

That said, it is good information to know, and thank you for that.

Ah, missed it was TracFone, sorry.

Before I had a Digits-compatible account (my old grandfathered T-Mo plan didn't support Digits before I "upgraded" to a newer plan) my alternative was to conditionally call forward to a Google Voice number. If I didn't answer (because my phone didn't drop to 2G or 3G on an incoming call) it rolled over to my GV line and would ring in the GV app (or, IIRC, it was in the Hangouts app back in the day.)

If TracFone supports conditional call forwarding, Google Voice is a backup option.