Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New "smartsim" service from Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    Is this really a pressing need for most people?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    They are almost certainly doing smartsim through someone else, like Google and its highly likely this would be something the customer chooses as opposed to being mandated. Maybe another brand.
    It was mentioned in the article that there might be a tie in with Google, as they had the the technology to do this. I don't see Google wanting to do this as it would undercut their Fi service, and they don't have AT&T or Verizon on board. Killers for universal service.

Yes it would have to be a premium service, as the cost of universal roaming would be expensive and hard to manage.

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto G6, Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Yes it would have to be a premium service, as the cost of universal roaming would be expensive and hard to manage.
    If I recall correctly, the promotional video made reference to those with unlimited minutes/texts/data. So, perhaps it will be a premium service for those on an unlimited plan.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowyD View Post
    If I recall correctly, the promotional video made reference to those with unlimited minutes/texts/data. So, perhaps it will be a premium service for those on an unlimited plan.
    Even more of a reason why I believe it will be an option for business customers rather than other TracFone brand consumers.

TracFone does offer a business-oriented brand called Clearway, so it would easily just offer this as an extension of that brand since it hasn't yet offered an full unlimited plan for that brand.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    Never heard of Clearway, but it looks like some kind of hotspot thing that you keep in your office and all the phones connect to it. I really can't figure out what it is exactly. It also just looks like a regular monthly plan for smartphones. Clear as mud.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    It also just looks like a regular monthly plan for smartphones. Clear as mud.
    https://www.clearway.com/shop/en/clearway/plans

Looks similar to ST/NT but with enterprise style management features (a company employee can manage multiple lines). Maybe some account usage details missing from other TF companies.

Didn't see any hotspot stuff, but not new to TF companies.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    It was mentioned in the article that there might be a tie in with Google, as they had the the technology to do this. I don't see Google wanting to do this as it would undercut their Fi service, and they don't have AT&T or Verizon on board. Killers for universal service.
    Fi is like GV. A technology testbed not a product they really want to make a core business.

Prove it works and then license the tech.

They don't do ATT/VZW because they aren't not needed to develop/prove the tech.

The beauty is you get universal roaming without roaming. Just switch carrier on the fly. You aren't roaming, you're just another user in the network, as if you changed SIMs ported the number.

No need to be a premium service. It's just the only service. Like TF now but without worrying about which carrier is best for you.

No more second phone/SIM for those weak/no service areas.

Feedback Score
    Never heard of Clearway, but it looks like some kind of hotspot thing that you keep in your office and all the phones connect to it. I really can't figure out what it is exactly. It also just looks like a regular monthly plan for smartphones. Clear as mud.
    see under clearway - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TracFone_Wireless

Feedback Score
    These things: https://www.clearway.com/shop/en/cle.../business-line

What are they called?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Fi is like GV. A technology testbed not a product they really want to make a core business. Prove it works and then license the tech. They don't do ATT/VZW because they aren't not needed to develop/prove the tech. The beauty is you get universal roaming without roaming. Just switch carrier on the fly. You aren't roaming, you're just another user in the network, as if you changed SIMs ported the number. No need to be a premium service. It's just the only service. Like TF now but without worrying about which carrier is best for you. No more second phone/SIM for those weak/no service areas.
    this smartsim service just hooks you up to any available carrier with the strongest signal correct ?? in other words you don't need to choose a carrier like "Verizon" only

Feedback Score
    These things: https://www.clearway.com/shop/en/cle.../business-line What are they called?
    from the decryption it's like a home phone setup, just plug a corded or cordless phone to the Business Line System, activate the service, and start making calls!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    this smartsim service just hooks you up to any available carrier with the strongest signal correct ?? in other words you don't need to choose a carrier like "Verizon" only
    That's the theory/concept. And it works well for Google Fi and 2 carriers. No reason to think a 3rd or 4th wouldn't work as well.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 01-15-2020 at 04:20 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    These things: https://www.clearway.com/shop/en/cle.../business-line

What are they called?
    ah, the home phone adapters that ST has been selling. Connect your old landline devices to cellular.

Not sure what ZTE calls it, home phone base?

A way to reuse the desk phones/cordless phones already invested in instead of all going to smartphone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    ah, the home phone adapters that ST has been selling. Connect your old landline devices to cellular.

Not sure what ZTE calls it, home phone base?

A way to reuse the desk phones/cordless phones already invested in instead of all going to smartphone.
    I can't see this as being versatile enough for business.

It seems that businesses use regular Verizon for their smartphones in the field, and get their office lines through cable. They might be able to lease all the equipment.

I don't see Tracfone in that league at all. Maybe in a country where wireless is king.

As far as smartsim, if a business needs access to multiple wireless carriers, I'm sure they are already aware of the coverages in their area, and have made provisions for that. Probably why they gravitate to Verizon.

Verizon always had crappy voice quality on CDMA around here, almost unintelligible, so I'm glad about VoLTE. Can actually understand what the people are saying.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I don't see smartsim as being business oriented.

As for the rest, I think they are targeting small businesses. Like 5-20 people.

They aren't looking at places with multiple lines and PBXs.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 01-16-2020 at 08:03 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast