Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54

Thread: My Initial experience with low-band 5G

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,527
    Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    My Initial experience with low-band 5G

    I received my OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren today and I thought I'd share my initial experience.

    First off the coverage maps are inconsistent, I was unable to receive 5G in quite a few of the places the map indicated I would.

    My city is listed as one of the ones with 5G but only one of the 6 towers nearby appears to even have 5G enabled so I drop back to LTE often.

    Speeds are inconsistent. They varied from 230Mbps all the way down to 19Mbps within 1 mile and relatively flat terrain.

    I also think T-Mobile's ads about their 600MHz giving the best coverage is a bit misleading as it requires a connection to either B2 or B4/66 LTE until stand-alone 5G is deployed. This means in areas where your device falls back to Band 12/71 LTE such as in buildings, you will lose 5G connectivity as well.

    Overall I think it's a step in the right direction, however, I would personally hold off on buying a 5G phone until the network and devices mature.. It has not lived up to their marketing hype in my experience.

    Name:  Screenshot_20191206-164817.jpeg
Views: 737
Size:  18.5 KBName:  Screenshot_20191206-165425.jpeg
Views: 718
Size:  18.7 KB

    Sent from my HD1925 using HoFo mobile app

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    66
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    I received my OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren today and I thought I'd share my initial experience.

    First off the coverage maps are inconsistent, I was unable to receive 5G in quite a few of the places the map indicated I would.

    My city is listed as one of the ones with 5G but only one of the 6 towers nearby appears to even have 5G enabled so I drop back to LTE often.

    Speeds are inconsistent. They varied from 230Mbps all the way down to 19Mbps within 1 mile and relatively flat terrain.

    I also think T-Mobile's ads about their 600MHz giving the best coverage is a bit misleading as it requires a connection to either B2 or B4/66 LTE until stand-alone 5G is deployed. This means in areas where your device falls back to Band 12/71 LTE such as in buildings, you will lose 5G connectivity as well.

    Overall I think it's a step in the right direction, however, I would personally hold off on buying a 5G phone until the network and devices mature.. It has not lived up to their marketing hype in my experience.

    Name:  Screenshot_20191206-164817.jpeg
Views: 737
Size:  18.5 KBName:  Screenshot_20191206-165425.jpeg
Views: 718
Size:  18.7 KB

    Sent from my HD1925 using HoFo mobile app
    Thanks. I plan on testing out the note 10 5g


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    822
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    I received my OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren today and I thought I'd share my initial experience.

    First off the coverage maps are inconsistent, I was unable to receive 5G in quite a few of the places the map indicated I would.

    Name:  Screenshot_20191206-164817.jpeg
Views: 737
Size:  18.5 KBName:  Screenshot_20191206-165425.jpeg
Views: 718
Size:  18.7 KB

    Sent from my HD1925 using HoFo mobile app
    If you look at the legal part of their 5G map it mentions anticipated coverage. That to me sounds like some areas shown don’t have 5G currently. I don’t have a 5G phone however one of the 5G locations on the map near me doesn’t currently have 600 mhz deployed so it must be coming later on.



    Sent from my iPhone 11

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,493
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Your image shows you only had one bar of service when you got the slower speed service. Yet it shows when you had full bars you saw up to 231 Mbps at one point. What do you expect since T-Mobile Only a few days after they lite up 5G on a national level? Don’t you think T-Mobile 5G will improve?

    Have you ever seen T-Mobile hit 231 Mbps before you got 5G phone? At least you have a phone that supports the Sprint spectrum if the merger is approved. However I already decided to wait on the Qualcomm 865 phones to come out in the next few months. If I am buying a new 5G phone it will support all Sub-6 Gig spectrum plus the mmWave spectrum in case it isn’t raining.

    BTW can’t wait for all the AT&T fans to claim they get 231 Gbps on AT&T LTE everywhere all the time on that network to try to degrade what T-Mobile has done on a almost nationwide 5G service.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,527
    Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    The signal is so inconsistent that 1/2 results in a drastic difference. On LTE I actually peak 250Mbps off that same site because LTE aggregates 15MHz of B2, 20MHz B4, and 5MHz B12 with 4x4 MIMO on mid-band..

    Tonight I found that turning 5G OFF consistently resulted in faster speeds. I understand it's new tech but the way T-Mobile has been amping it up, it's very disappointing.

    I see why AT&T did the whole 5GE thing, because it preps customers to not expect a drastic difference..

    The service is too inconsistent for them to be claiming it is launched when it's providing a worse experience than LTE. I have a feeling that if this is the typical experience across the country, they will get a lot of negative press.Name:  Screenshot_20191206-195513.jpeg
Views: 579
Size:  18.7 KBName:  Screenshot_20191206-195405.jpeg
Views: 580
Size:  18.1 KBName:  Screenshot_20191206-180447.jpeg
Views: 568
Size:  16.3 KB

    Sent from my HD1925 using HoFo mobile app

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,527
    Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Real 5G


    Vs. AT&Ts LTE side by side.....


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,446
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Best I've hit on Tmobile is 275Mbps on LTE. Can typically in that area hit 240. Best I've hit on AT&T is 296Mbps

    Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,527
    Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think I'm going to keep the phone because I honestly like the device itself more than the Pixel and it performs great on LTE, but I'm disabling 5G for the time being. LTE is consistently faster at the present time.Name:  Screenshot_20191207-153546.jpeg
Views: 522
Size:  18.8 KBName:  Screenshot_20191207-153650.jpeg
Views: 518
Size:  18.3 KB

    Sent from my HD1925 using HoFo mobile app

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    283
    Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I am in Queens NY and with my Samsung Galaxy note 10 i get about 150 download and 70 upload. Real 5G is about 5-6 years away. Its a total joke. Dont waste your money, and dont get frustrated. 4g lte is more than enough to surf the web or stream. I still dont understand why ppl would want 5g.... .what is the purpose? I feel like this is a marketing ploy by the telecoms to get us to switch to a more expensive plan.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    583
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy26 View Post
    I am in Queens NY and with my Samsung Galaxy note 10 i get about 150 download and 70 upload. Real 5G is about 5-6 years away. Its a total joke. Dont waste your money, and dont get frustrated. 4g lte is more than enough to surf the web or stream. I still dont understand why ppl would want 5g.... .what is the purpose? I feel like this is a marketing ploy by the telecoms to get us to switch to a more expensive plan.
    I agree. However, it appears most are saying that 5G is really for things line in home Internet. I’ve been saying for a long time that the carriers should be required to ensure that 99% of people have 4G LTE before 5G. It’s laughable that there are some areas in my town where there is no service or Edge and yet carriers are talking about 5G. Pathetic.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,847
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by obeythelaw View Post
    ......It’s laughable that there are some areas in my town where there is no service or Edge and yet carriers are talking about 5G. Pathetic.
    It's about profit. It doesn't pay to deliver service to the last 2% (or even the last 10%). Delivering 5G to the 50% pays for everything else.
    Donald Newcomb

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,446
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    This is true, and why in general services are deployed in places like NYC/LA/SF. Vast majority of TMobile customers are in the city.

    Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,130
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    T-Mobile has publicly stated that this device can access NR on Band 41. If so and after the merger is decided; this device suddenly becomes more valuable.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,527
    Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    T-Mobile has publicly stated that this device can access NR on Band 41. If so and after the merger is decided; this device suddenly becomes more valuable.
    The OnePlus or the Note?


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,130
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

    My Initial experience with low-band 5G

    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    The OnePlus or the Note?


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    OnePlus McLaren. Let me clarify that they specifically said, “midband,” not Band 41 but I feel it was implied. 🤠

    See the 6th paragraph down on this article:

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cne...ren-this-year/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-25-2019, 02:04 PM
  2. My first experience with Cingular's CSR
    By dcdomain in forum AT&T
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-16-2005, 05:24 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 02:20 PM
  4. My Superbowl Experience with VZW
    By java in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 02:37 PM
  5. My coverage experience with sprint pcs
    By timhorton1998 in forum Sprint
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 09:31 PM

Bookmarks