Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My Initial experience with low-band 5G

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    This is true, and why in general services are deployed in places like NYC/LA/SF. Vast majority of TMobile customers are in the city.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    Deployment in NYC/LA/SF is AT&T and Verizon plan with their weak mmWave. T- Mobile already has 5G deployed in thousands of rural areas and small cities. T-Mobile rushed 5G deployment to have it live days before the trial to prevent the State AGs from claiming T-Mobile wold never deploy Nationwide 5G. In a few months all new Android Flagship phones will have 5G capability and T-Mobile has the only usable 5G Network.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    OnePlus McLaren. Let me clarify that they specifically said, “midband,” not Band 41 but I feel it was implied. 🤠

See the 6th paragraph down on this article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cne...ren-this-year/
    I just checked the OnePlus website and it looks like they’ve updated the specs to reflect that it does indeed support N41 . COME ON SPRINT MERGER 🤣.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Here are the new 5G phones coming out in 2020. Really surprised there will be a iPhone 5G. A lot of these phones will be announced in The Mobile World Congress ( MWC) in Barcelona Spain the end of February 2020. If you build it they will come.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/b...-out-this-year

Feedback Score
    I almost always get better then T-Mobile’s 5G speeds on Verizon based on what I’ve seen so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    I almost always get better then T-Mobile’s 5G speeds on Verizon based on what I’ve seen so far.

Same here on sprint and AT&T. Verizon not so much

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    Same here on sprint and AT&T. Verizon not so much

Verizon went crazy with density in my area. Around 40-50 small cells, 6-10 new macro sites. It’s been fun to watch.

Feedback Score
    Verizon went crazy with density in my area. Around 40-50 small cells, 6-10 new macro sites. It’s been fun to watch.

I need to do a SpeedTest on my mom’s Verizon phone.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Maybe today. Today’s 5G requires 4G as the control over 5G since the current 5G is Non-Stand-Alone that requires 4G to work on all four major networks. After the Stand-Alone version of 5G both latency and speed will improve. With the SA version of 5G they will implement Dynamic Spectrum Sharing that will allow all low band spectrum to provide either 4G or 5G using the same physical block of spectrum. Then with Carrier Arrogation your 5G can add other T-Mobile spectrum bands to increase bandwidth for higher speeds. According to Android Central T-Mobile 5G was measured at about 25% faster than T-Mobile 4G air interface using the same physical size spectrum. As we move to 3GPP release 16 Stand-Alone 5G without 4G controls there will be more speed improvements. Unlike the conversion from 3G to 4G we have a lot of compatibility between 4G and 5G that Dynamic Spectrum Sharing will allow increases in bandwidth for greater speeds.

As everyone should remember 4G LTE got a lot faster over time and the same is true about 5G that there isn’t even one 5G phone on the market that supports Stand-Alone 5G that should start coming out after February when Qualcomm release the next Gen. Even the 865 that is still going to be a inferior SOC with out a internal 5G modem on the SOC at least from current news.

Good information on 5G http://www.ni.com/en-us/innovations/...BoCKMUQAvD_BwE

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    5G NR in 5 and 10 MHz channels is slower than LTE at the same bandwidth. Android Central's tests probably failed to mention the fact that very few people are using 5G capable phones, and with every iPhone since the Xs generation and every Samsung since the S9 generation supporting 600 MHz LTE, you're bound to see performance improvements when you have .5% of the user base, if that.

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    5G NR in 5 and 10 MHz channels is slower than LTE at the same bandwidth. Android Central's tests probably failed to mention the fact that very few people are using 5G capable phones, and with every iPhone since the Xs generation and every Samsung since the S9 generation supporting 600 MHz LTE, you're bound to see performance improvements when you have .5% of the user base, if that.
    This is the quote from Android Central about T-Mobile 5G. BTW, T-Mobile Neville Ray said last year he expected 20% to 25% speed improvements over 5G compared to LTE with similar bandwidth.

“ Those 200+ mbps tests aside, download and upload speeds were typically about 25% higher than T-Mobile 4G speeds. That's nothing to sneeze at, but it's hard to say you can actually notice the difference between 75 and 60 mbps with anything but a synthetic speed test — and those speeds are what we already regularly see from well-developed 4G networks around the world.“ https://www.androidcentral.com/i-use...b-6-5g-network

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    This is the quote from Android Central.

“ Those 200+ mbps tests aside, download and upload speeds were typically about 25% higher than T-Mobile 4G speeds. That's nothing to sneeze at, but it's hard to say you can actually notice the difference between 75 and 60 mbps with anything but a synthetic speed test — and those speeds are what we already regularly see from well-developed 4G networks around the world.“ https://www.androidcentral.com/i-use...b-6-5g-network
    I wish I got those speeds on T-Mobile’s 5g lol. I’ll keep testing it out but sprints and AT&Ts lte win hands down. Verizon’s lte is no better than T-Mobile’s lte or 5g here

Feedback Score
    This is the quote from Android Central about T-Mobile 5G. BTW, T-Mobile Neville Ray said last year he expected 20% to 25% speed improvements over 5G compared to LTE with similar bandwidth.

“ Those 200+ mbps tests aside, download and upload speeds were typically about 25% higher than T-Mobile 4G speeds.
    Well when 4G gets only 5X5 MHz of band 71 and 5G gets 10X10 MHz or 15X15 MHz of course the 5G result will be faster. What would be faster 20X20 4G or 15X15 5G? Even using T-Mobile's generous 25% figure 15 MHz 5G is equivalent to 18.75 MHz 4G.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Did you read what I said? Like fully? That 5G network is empty, so it's bound to produce better speeds. By the time most users have a 5G smartphone, DSS will be enabled, and they will likely have 2.5 GHz.

Feedback Score
    Did you read what I said? Like fully? That 5G network is empty, so it's bound to produce better speeds. By the time most users have a 5G smartphone, DSS will be enabled, and they will likely have 2.5 GHz.
    Now that at&t has launched 5G over lowband in some cities hopefully soon we can have comparison tests in the same cities between T-Mobile lowband 5G and at&t-low band 5G. Of course the real issue is that T-Mobile's dearth of spectrum for 4G lowband makes for a poor 4G experience and that's what the VAST majority of people will using. Wheres as at&t has lowband for 4G up the wazoo. Even if Verizon dedicates all it's 850 for 5G they still have 10X10 of band 13.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No network has customers with many 5G phones. Non-Stand-Alone 5G still has 4G as the controls that add latency and reduces speed. Agree once DSS is working on Stand-Alone 5G we can see a lot of improvement on low band spectrum.

Ok let me ask you a question that I not sure about with DSS. I know after SA 5G with Erickson 5G equipment that it will allow DSS to use the same physical spectrum to deliver both 5G and 4G LTE to users. What I am not sure about if that works with only people that have 5G phones or does DSS deliver data to a 4G LTE only phone from that same physical spectrum block? Overall I am asking can a network with DSS put 5G on all their low band spectrum to service both 5G and 4G only phones?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast