Thread: TF CDMA SIM & IMEI Relationship + Shuffling

Feedback Score

Question TF CDMA SIM & IMEI Relationship + Shuffling

Found the recent HSN first time customer(s) MotoE5 deal too good to pass up (under $33 to my door).

While I have been with TF for quite some time now, this is my first taste of a 4G CDMA based phone with a SIM card.

I know things are more involved with the CDMA stuff because of the IMEI having to be used vs just having to use a SIM card number to activate.

Obviously the way HSN does bundles these days (no more separate airtime card) - it's a must that I transfer my current number over to the new MotoE5 & supplied TF SIM in order to get the airtime.

However, I am actually needing to do not just one but (2) SIM transfer shuffles here.

Once I am transferred over without incident & I retain all my old time + my new time - I will then want to transfer over to a entirely different new never used unlocked non TF phone using a new TF BYOP SIM.

Will transferring off of the MotoE5's original TF supplied CDMA SIM over to a new never used TF BYOP SIM in another phone and removing all traces of the MotoE5 from my TF account --- "free up" the MotoE5 to be able to be sold and used by someone else to use on TF ?.

Thanks
    BYOP X 2

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracmac View Post
    Will transferring off of the MotoE5's original TF supplied CDMA SIM over to a new never used TF BYOP SIM in another phone and removing all traces of the MotoE5 from my TF account --- "free up" the MotoE5 to be able to be sold and used by someone else to use on TF ?
    If the Moto E5 was added to your TF account, then it will stay in your account (with INACTIVE status) after its service has been transferred to the TF BYOP SIM. Basically, you're still recorded as the owner in TF system. If you want to sell or give it to someone else, you should use the REMOVE DEVICE function to remove it from your account. Otherwise, the new owner might have to answer some "challenge questions" when they want to do something with that phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    If the Moto E5 was added to your TF account, then it will stay in your account (with INACTIVE status) after its service has been transferred to the TF BYOP SIM. Basically, you're still recorded as the owner in TF system. If you want to sell or give it to someone else, you should use the REMOVE DEVICE function to remove it from your account. Otherwise, the new owner might have to answer some "challenge questions" when they want to do something with that phone.
    No other SIM and/or IMEI related entanglements then ?.

Once I transfer OFF the MotoE5 bundled TF SIM over to a BYOP SIM & remove the MotoE5 from my TF account ............. that MotoE5 is free to do what it wants with whomever it wants ?.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Once I transfer OFF the MotoE5 bundled TF SIM over to a BYOP SIM & remove the MotoE5 from my TF account ............. that MotoE5 is free to do what it wants with whomever it wants ?.
    That's correct.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    That's correct.
    Good to know if I were to sell it - wouldn't want to take someones money if it wouldn't work out for them.

I may just keep it for a spare and/or media app remote (chromecast & roku) & get rid of some of my older phones.

Feedback Score
    No other SIM and/or IMEI related entanglements then ?.

IIRC, the only entanglement would be that it can only be used with Tracfone service. It may also be usable with other America Movil services - Net10, Total Wireless, Straight Talk, Page Plus, etc. I don't know the details of which, if any, of those work. A buyer should be told that it only be used with Tracfone, and maybe the others.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    IIRC, the only entanglement would be that it can only be used with Tracfone service. It may also be usable with other America Movil services - Net10, Total Wireless, Straight Talk, Page Plus, etc. I don't know the details of which, if any, of those work. A buyer should be told that it only be used with Tracfone, and maybe the others.
    Yes I am aware of that.

If I don't keep it I would only sell it as TF branded phone.

Feedback Score
    Just thought of another CDMA related quirk from the days BEFORE they used SIM cards like a GSM phone.

The phone number would always remain behind in the phone network settings/info, even after taking it out of service & doing a factory reset.

Do the current CDMA phones that take an actual SIM card behave more like a GSM phone does when you remove the SIM ?.

That is - the phone number no longer shows in the phones' network settings & info ?.

EDITED ABOVE - for better wording.
    Last edited by tracmac; 12-06-2019 at 09:43 PM. Reason: better wording

Feedback Score
    Just thought of another CDMA related quirk from the days BEFORE they used SIM cards like a GSM phone.

The phone number would remain behind in the phone network settings/info.

When you remove the SIM on a CDMA phone & do a full factory reset .....

Is the phone number gone/cleared/removed like on a GSM SIM phone ?.
    I just looked at my retired Verizon branded Galaxy S4. It does not have a SIM in it. It says Phone number: unknown. I don't recall if I did a factory reset on it.

[Edit] Oh, wait. I remembered that I had put a GSM Truphone and/or Freedompop SIM in the S4 to test. Truphone and Freedompop populate Android with Phone number: unknown.

I also checked an inactive Sprint phone that I had on Freedompop. It has a phone number, but it isn't the one that it had on Freedompop. I don't know what to make of that.

In general, my recollection is that the last active phone number is stuck in Android and factory reset does not remove it.
    Last edited by bobdevnul; 12-06-2019 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Update

Feedback Score
    Just to confirm my education through these forums; is that because the E5 would not have gone through the unlock period/process ?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Just to confirm my education through these forums; is that because the E5 would not have gone through the unlock period/process ?
    That's correct. A TF-branded phone that has not been unlocked will only accept a SIM from a TF-subcompany.

Feedback Score
    I just looked at my retired Verizon branded Galaxy S4. It does not have a SIM in it. It says Phone number: unknown. I don't recall if I did a factory reset on it.

[Edit] Oh, wait. I remembered that I had put a GSM Truphone and/or Freedompop SIM in the S4 to test. Truphone and Freedompop populate Android with Phone number: unknown.

I also checked an inactive Sprint phone that I had on Freedompop. It has a phone number, but it isn't the one that it had on Freedompop. I don't know what to make of that.

In general, my recollection is that the last active phone number is stuck in Android and factory reset does not remove it.
    This would be the first CDMA phone I ever had that took a SIM card like the GSM phones do.

I know the older CDMA phones without a SIM would leave the phone number behind.

That happened to me on some LG Fuels that I had.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I assume that you, or another owner could easily obtain a new / different phone number , so not a problem. (?)