Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Moto G7 Maxx shuffle

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Total wireless and Straighttalk are both selling this phone for the same $129.99 online.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    There seems to be some confusion in this thread about whether a microSD card or micro SIM card is being talked about. A microSD card will fit in both phones.

It is the SIM card which will need to be changed (different sizes). First thing, take out the TF-Verizon SIM from the Moto before even powering it on (so the phone does not get branded to Straight Talk).

The LG G3 BYOP SIM is micro-size. You should transfer service to a new AT&T BYOP nano-size SIM. This should be done before inserting it into the Moto phone. If you are talking or chatting with a rep, don't even mention the Moto phone. If they ask for an IMEI number (shouldn't need to) just give them the one from the LG.

Once the SIM switch is complete, the new nano SIM can be put in the Moto, and the phone powered up. I would suggest not using the Verizon SIM (that came with the Moto) for anything, as it would still be paired to the Moto phone as Straight Talk. Trying to get TracFone to rebrand the Moto anywhere in this procedure could foul everything up.

Well, one of us is confused....you say.
    "It is the SIM card which will need to be changed (different sizes). First thing, take out the TF-Verizon SIM from the Moto before even powering it on (so the phone does not get branded to Straight Talk).
    The Moto will come, I would think, with a "straight talk" Verizon Sim, which I will remove first thing.

"The LG G3 BYOP SIM is micro-size. You should transfer service to a new AT&T BYOP nano-size SIM. This should be done before inserting it into the Moto phone."
    I agree. I plan to add the new sim like it is a BYOP, Transfer the new sim to the Moto, then there is a question if I should power up the new phone first or try to transfer the telco number using my TF account. I can certainly try transfering the number and THEN putting in the nano into the moto and powering it up.

If you are talking or chatting with a rep, don't even mention the Moto phone. If they ask for an IMEI number (shouldn't need to) just give them the one from the LG.
    Hopefully, I wont have to chat with anyone but I would tell them I am trying to transfer my LG number to the new sim.

Once the SIM switch is complete, the new nano SIM can be put in the Moto, and the phone powered up.

I am sorry, but I have no idea what this means. Do you mean that once I transfer my old number to the newly added phone with the new nano sim? If it is important, I can certainly keep the new sim out of the moto till I transfer the number in my account, then put in the new sim and turn the moto on.
    I would suggest not using the Verizon SIM (that came with the Moto) for anything, as it would still be paired to the Moto phone as Straight Talk.

Agreed.

Trying to get TracFone to rebrand the Moto anywhere in this procedure could foul everything up.

Yeah, I can see that for sure. So my question is, What if someone put in a ST sim at the factory and turned on the phone? Is it not instantly branded and then I am up a creek? Is there no way to reset the phone?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Also available for $129.99 from total wireless (Verizon) and Straighttalk websites
    https://shop.totalwireless.com/shop/...la?pageSize=44
    https://shop.straighttalk.com/shop/e...brand_motorola

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Total wireless and Straighttalk are both selling this phone for the same $129.99 online.
    Walmart near me has the Straight Talk in stock for $130. I plan first thing to remove the ST sim. What I dont understand is, what if someone at the factory turned on the phone with a ST sim in it? Does that not instantly brand it to Straight talk?

And if they did that, is there any way to "Unbrand" the G7? Or am I up a creek.

Feedback Score
    There is perhaps an "out" if the phone doesnt work. I take it back, get my money back,and order an unlocked Motorola G7 Power 64GB Unlocked GSM Phone from walmart or ? for $185. Would this not work for a BYOP?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Walmart near me has the Straight Talk in stock for $130. I plan first thing to remove the ST sim. What I dont understand is, what if someone at the factory turned on the phone with a ST sim in it? Does that not instantly brand it to Straight talk?

And if they did that, is there any way to "Unbrand" the G7? Or am I up a creek.
    No one has ever had it locked to the company it was sold from. It doesn`t hurt to remove the SIM first thing.
    Add the SIM you plan to use to your online account. It should say accepted. I have always had the BYOP SIM already in the phone when activating it.
    You can then use chat to first get a chat transcript record of your current airtime, then "immediately" activate the SIM online (if you want to bypass talking to a CSR) from your online account with a transfer of service from your old phone. If there is a problem no time will have passed that Tracfone will claim you used any missing airtime.

Feedback Score
    No one has ever had it locked to the company it was sold from. It doesn`t hurt to remove the SIM first thing.
    Add the SIM you plan to use to your online account. It should say accepted. I have always had the BYOP SIM already in the phone when activating it.
    You can then use chat to first get a chat transcript record of your current airtime, then "immediately" activate the SIM online (if you want to bypass talking to a CSR) from your online account with a transfer of service from your old phone. If there is a problem no time will have passed that Tracfone will claim you used any missing airtime.
    Good advice. Whenever I tranfer a phone, I take a screen shot of the time and buckets, both in my account and on the phone. Your meathod may be better.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Do not confuse the two G7`s
    Moto G7 Optimo (XT1952DL)
    Moto G7 Optimo Maxx (XT1955DL)
    The XT1952 is the G7 Play.
    The XT1955 is the G7 Power.
    Not sure if TF has a version of the XT1962 G7 (the high end for the US since we didn't get the G7 Plus)

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    On another matter, if I put my old micro SD card in the G7, will the phone automatically format it for use?
    Maybe able to just use. I've had a few times where I had to backup and reformat for a different phone. May depend in Android versions and changes in what is on the card. I just had to reformat going from N to P.

And I've had apps that wouldn't recognize the saved data in a new phone and had to re-download (like map data).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    The XT1952 is the G7 Play.
    The XT1955 is the G7 Power.
    Not sure if TF has a version of the XT1962 G7 (the high end for the US since we didn't get the G7 Plus)
    Yeah, the XT1955, the G7 power, unlocked, is on GSM

Angry as all getout. Went to Walmart, asked for the XT1955 DL Optimo Maxx. The said they have never carried it. I showed them a print out from their website that showed the phone IN STOCK AND READY FOR PICKUP at this store. A worker bee in phones says that happens all the time. Phantom stock. They look in five places. I get the manager from customer service. She goes into the phone dept. No one can find the phone. I told her the company just wasted an hour of my time plus travel for something that was clearly THEIR fault. She cant give me any compensation. Explicative deleated. I can order the phone from them and they will get it in 10 days. I say, "How can I order a phone that WAlmart says is in stock there? I leave.

I go to Straight talk website and use the chat. I tell them my story and can I return the phone if I dont like it. Since I cant find one to look at. They say, sure, no problem. 30 days. And if I order today, free two day shipping fed ex. I print out the chat and order the phone.

Device(s)
    LG V35, V20, iPhone SE, Moto E4, Galaxy Go Prime, Galaxy J3 Sky
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    pretty decent for the price, I heard google GCAM camera ports can make the camera quality quite good. I was intrigued by the whole G7 family when they came out but honestly found them overpriced for the retail price but on sale, for the specs and vanilla android it should suffice for awhile. Great battery life on the Power version too which this basically is

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSnake91 View Post
    pretty decent for the price, I heard google GCAM camera ports can make the camera quality quite good. I was intrigued by the whole G7 family when they came out but honestly found them overpriced for the retail price but on sale, for the specs and vanilla android it should suffice for awhile. Great battery life on the Power version too which this basically is
    That is how I see this also. Huge battery on the Maxx and the Power, good camera, good screen size, finger print reader, ram, ....and for the money, now $184 for the Power and $129 for the Maxx, hard to beat...that is why I am putting in all this effort to get one going...had I know what a pain walmart was going to be and since i want a GSM phone anyway, I would have just got the power...
    But as things stand, if the Maxx really comes and it works with my new sim pack from TF, thats fine too.

(BTW, the straight talk "chat" works with folks from India or ? using canned phrasiology....if you use it for important questions, make sure you get a copy of the chat or have it emailed to you. I asked some questions and got replys that didnt make any sense in the context of my questions so that is how I found that out. I was asking questions about billing addresses and they kept sending answers about shipping addresses and saying that they probably couldnt cancel my order at this time....I kept saying I didnt want to cancel my order...I wanted to check my billing address. I finally said to forget the whole chat, ended it and printed it out.)

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    A chat transcript seems to be the only thing that Tracfone will accept as proof of your remaining airtime being transferred to activate a new phone or SIM. But you need the assigned chat number for them to find the transcript in their records. Do not depend on the e-mailed transcript reaching you. cut and paste or print the chat for your record.

Feedback Score
    A chat transcript seems to be the only thing that Tracfone will accept as proof of your remaining airtime being transferred to activate a new phone or SIM. But you need the assigned chat number for them to find the transcript in their records. Do not depend on the e-mailed transcript reaching you. cut and paste or print the chat for your record.
    OK....but it isnt like I have lots of time on the phone anyway....but I can certainly try chat and have them give me the official minutes and date before the amazing brain transplant....

Except for the first hour and a half call to tracfone India 8 years ago or so to try and activate my first phone, a flip fone, I have to say that I have had good luck talking with them, but really havent had to in years (for myself) since I have an account.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    Once the SIM switch is complete, the new nano SIM can be put in the Moto, and the phone powered up.

I am sorry, but I have no idea what this means. Do you mean that once I transfer my old number to the newly added phone with the new nano sim? If it is important, I can certainly keep the new sim out of the moto till I transfer the number in my account, then put in the new sim and turn the moto on.

What if someone put in a ST sim at the factory and turned on the phone? Is it not instantly branded and then I am up a creek? Is there no way to reset the phone?
    Sorry if I made things seem more confusing. You seem to have the process well in hand. The "SIM switch" was referring to when you have your account moved to the new nano SIM. The new SIM did not have to be in the phone while the CSR is doing it, but yes, the SIM can be put in the new phone (still turned off) until the CSR says it is done. At that point the CSR usually says to turn your new phone off and on, but you would then just turn on the new phone with the new SIM in it.

The phone would not be turned on at the factory beforehand, no worries. I would suggest being carefull when first unpacking it, so you don't accidently press the power button before taking the Verizon SIM out.

I am surprised your WalMart gave you such a hard time about it. I got mine online, but did not think to check my local WalMart. When I went there recently, I did see it at the Straight Talk display, at the $129.99 price.

I just saw your other thread, where you plan to do an online transfer without calling or chatting with a CSR. So I repeat, you seem to have the process well in hand.
    Last edited by mframe; 12-08-2019 at 01:54 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast