Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Moto G7 Maxx shuffle

Feedback Score

The Moto G7 Maxx shuffle

mframe informed me in my post about the DL shuffle(one phone being capable of GSM and CDMA) that the phone I was looking for spec wise, the Moto G7 Maxx from Straight talk, a DL switch hitting phone, Could be purchased for little money( $130 at Walmart) and a ATT BYOP LG G3 TF sim slipped in and after power up, Shazammm! I have a phone operating on the tracfone system with a good battery, good camera, and the finger print sensor on the back. Can life be this simple? If so, I have to get out more....

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    Yes. He is correct. I'm waiting for the price to drop before I get mine.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    Yes. He is correct. I'm waiting for the price to drop before I get mine.
    Drop more? It's a $250 retail phone (unlocked version).

I doubt you see it below $100 until after it's discontinued.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I got my Moto G7 Optimo Maxx for $45 because some Walmart had it on clearance a few months ago for some reason. I looked at the same Walmart now, and they don't have the phone on clearance now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Drop more? It's a $250 retail phone (unlocked version).

I doubt you see it below $100 until after it's discontinued.
    That is the way I look at this. If we are all talking about the MAXX and not the non maxx model, which has a smaller battery.
    1. Its a great phone for $130
    2. Yes, the price might drop. If the wrong tarriffs go into place or the price of cobalt goes up, the price could rise also.
    3. Lets say it drops to $100 and is offered direct from TF as a TF phone. What's $30? And you are losing the use of the phone for a certain period.
    4. Lets say you get the phone today and fall in love with it. And in two months HSN offers it as a TF with one year of service. I would buy a spare in a heartbeat.

I would also assume that in the future you could install a BYOP TMFL or otherwise TF sim?

Feedback Score
    (repeat from DL shuffle thread.)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    No, you'll need to cut the SIM or transfer to a nano SIM since the G3 uses a different SIM size.

But that should be all. Maybe you'll need to adjust the APN settings.

Of course, it will stay SIM locked to TF companies as you aren't activating it as far as TF is concerned.
    Ahhhhh...OK. Here is a pic of my G3 sim next to one of the new cut to size sims in a TF BYOP kit. Are you saying the sim in a G7 is bigger than these two, which appear to be the same size? Can I activate the G7 with a BYOP kit and then transfer the G3 over to it using my TF account?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Here is a pic of my G3 sim next to one of the new cut to size sims in a TF BYOP kit. Are you saying the sim in a G7 is bigger than these two, which appear to be the same size? Can I activate the G7 with a BYOP kit and then transfer the G3 over to it using my TF account?
    The G7 uses a nano SIM, which is SMALLER than the micro SIM that the G3 uses. In the picture that you posted of the G3, the (white) SIM card is still in its holder. The black/red card is the microSD card (pardon me if you already knew that).

Yes, you can activate a nano BYOP SIM with a transfer from the G3, then use the nano SIM in the G7. The nano SIM in the multi-cut SIM is the smallest piece that you can punch out.

Name:  sim-sizes.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  69.2 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The G7 uses a nano SIM, which is SMALLER than the micro SIM that the G3 uses. In the picture that you posted of the G3, the (white) SIM card is still in its holder. The black/red card is the microSD card (pardon me if you already knew that).

Yes, you can activate a nano BYOP SIM with a transfer from the G3, then use the nano SIM in the G7. The nano SIM in the multi-cut SIM is the smallest piece that you can punch out.

Name:  sim-sizes.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  69.2 KB
    OK! I will attempt to repeat what you said and you tell me if I am correct.

1. In my next pic below, it shows my micro SIM card from my G3 next to a combo TF kit. I does indeed look like one could chose to punch out a micro SIM card OR a nano SIm from the TF kit. I might be wrong, but looking at the front and back of my G3 micro SIM card, it appears that there is no easy way to punch out a nano sim card from it.

2. Therefore, I could take the nano SIM out of my kit (chosing the ATT card) and put it into a new G7, go to my TF account, add the new phone/sim, and then activate it using my old G3 telephone number.

Did I say that correctly?

On another matter, if I put my old micro SD card in the G7, will the phone automatically format it for use?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feedback Score
    ...On another matter, if I put my old micro SD card in the G7, will the phone automatically format it for use?
    Putting a micro SD in a phone does not automatically format it. It should have whatever was on it before. You can format it easily in the new phone if you don't need what was on it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Putting a micro SD in a phone does not automatically format it. It should have whatever was on it before. You can format it easily in the new phone if you don't need what was on it.
    OK, thanks. I have been putting them in holders and formating them. But I see a format option in the file manager app. If the internal files, maps, for "Co-Pilot" travel with the card, then that is a bonus.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I might be wrong, but looking at the front and back of my G3 micro SIM card, it appears that there is no easy way to punch out a nano sim card from it.
    The micro SIM in your G3 is not a multi-cut SIM, you can't punch anything out of it.

The SIM from the BYOP Kit is multi-cut, the part outlined in blue is the nano SIM, just punch it out.

Name:  Nano-SIM-punch-out.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  35.9 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The micro SIM in your G3 is not a multi-cut SIM, you can't punch anything out of it.

The SIM from the BYOP Kit is multi-cut, the part outlined in blue is the nano SIM, just punch it out.

Name:  Nano-SIM-punch-out.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  35.9 KB
    Thank you very much, hpham. I have notes on the APN codes so I will go buy the phone and get it going first. I have a new micro SD card in stock and cases ordered. I still have my tool kit from when I used to fix portable two way radios for the Washington State Patrol so I bet these ancient hands can do the job still.

I hate to sound cynical and I love tracfone but I have to think their offering this great phone only to their straight talk customers is nothing but marketing. Maybe I am missing something here about Straight Talk for $35 a month but that seems high unless a person uses their phone alot?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Here is some discussion on this phone
    https://turkforums.jcink.net/index.p...topic=158&st=0

Do not confuse the two G7`s
    Moto G7 Optimo (XT1952DL)
    Moto G7 Optimo Maxx (XT1955DL)

Also... The E4 and G6 were the last with the fingerprint sensor on the front that allowed using the sensor for One Button Nav
    Last edited by Tracfancier; 12-07-2019 at 12:39 AM.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    There seems to be some confusion in this thread about whether a microSD card or micro SIM card is being talked about. A microSD card will fit in both phones.

It is the SIM card which will need to be changed (different sizes). First thing, take out the TF-Verizon SIM from the Moto before even powering it on (so the phone does not get branded to Straight Talk).

The LG G3 BYOP SIM is micro-size. You should transfer service to a new AT&T BYOP nano-size SIM. This should be done before inserting it into the Moto phone. If you are talking or chatting with a rep, don't even mention the Moto phone. If they ask for an IMEI number (shouldn't need to) just give them the one from the LG.

Once the SIM switch is complete, the new nano SIM can be put in the Moto, and the phone powered up. I would suggest not using the Verizon SIM (that came with the Moto) for anything, as it would still be paired to the Moto phone as Straight Talk. Trying to get TracFone to rebrand the Moto anywhere in this procedure could foul everything up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Here is some discussion on this phone
    https://turkforums.jcink.net/index.p...topic=158&st=0

Do not confuse the two G7`s
    Moto G7 Optimo (XT1952DL)
    Moto G7 Optimo Maxx (XT1955DL)
    Oh yeah...I definately want the Maxx. When Looking for sturdy cases, one quickly learns to pay attention to nomenclature....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast