Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The DL shuffle

Feedback Score
    I tried Simple Gallery after the stock gallery app on an Alcatel phone went kinda rogue.

Been using it on all our phones since - got in on it before they stared charging a $1.

I snagged myself a G7 ($99 Google Fi deal) as well with some needed shuffling as well - thru an HSN MotoE5 first.
    BYOP X 2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracmac View Post
    I tried Simple Gallery after the stock gallery app on an Alcatel phone went kinda rogue.

Been using it on all our phones since - got in on it before they stared charging a $1.

I snagged myself a G7 ($99 Google Fi deal) as well with some needed shuffling as well - thru an HSN MotoE5 first.
    The G7 looks like the phone for me. It looks like my LG G3 BYOP micro sim isnt made to be cut down to nano, so I think I can take a nano sim, att, out of a new BYOP TF kit, put it into a virgin G7, add the G7 to my TF account, and then activate it using my G3 number.
    I am very happy with "Simple Gallery" but when I get a second I will try the Gallery KK just to say I did.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    The G7 looks like the phone for me. It looks like my LG G3 BYOP micro sim isnt made to be cut down to nano, so I think I can take a nano sim, att, out of a new BYOP TF kit, put it into a virgin G7, add the G7 to my TF account, and then activate it using my G3 number.
    I am very happy with "Simple Gallery" but when I get a second I will try the Gallery KK just to say I did.
    Do not put the G7 in your account as you will be asked for it`s IMEI and the SIM s/n of the SIM that shipped with the G7, rather enter only the TF AT&T BYOP Nano SIM that you plan to activate into your account. Then activate the Nano AT&T SIM with a transfer of your service. You can install the Nano AT&T SIM in the G7 right now before activating it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Do not put the G7 in your account as you will be asked for it`s IMEI and the SIM s/n of the SIM that shipped with the G7, rather enter only the TF AT&T BYOP Nano SIM that you plan to activate into your account. Then activate the Nano AT&T SIM with a transfer of your service. You can install the Nano AT&T SIM in the G7 right now before activating it.
    Yes, exactly. That was my plan.
    1. Remove the old straight talk sim before powering up the moto
    2. Add the new ATT TF BYOP nano sim to my account
    3. Click "activate the new "phone"" using the old telco number
    4. Put in the nano into the moto and turn on the phone.

Would that not work? If someone at the factory turned on the phone with the ST sim in it, the phone is branded to ST and it wont work. I take it back and order an unlocked moto G7 Power GSM phone for $185 and put the new sim into that.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Yes, exactly. That was my plan.
    1. Remove the old straight talk sim before powering up the moto
    2. Add the new ATT TF BYOP nano sim to my account
    3. Click "activate the new "phone"" using the old telco number
    4. Put in the nano into the moto and turn on the phone.

Would that not work? If someone at the factory turned on the phone with the ST sim in it, the phone is branded to ST and it wont work. I take it back and order an unlocked moto G7 Power GSM phone for $185 and put the new sim into that.
    #1-3... as you stated
    #4... you can remove the factory installed SIM and put in the nano SIM all at the same time.

If you are transferring airtime to activate the G7 then chat first to get a record of the remaining airtime, then use the website if you wish to activate the Nano SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    #1-3... as you stated
    #4... you can remove the factory installed SIM and put in the nano SIM all at the same time.

If you are transferring airtime to activate the G7 then chat first to get a record of the remaining airtime, then use the website if you wish to activate the Nano SIM.
    Thank you for your help! Off to walmart.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    TF model number ending with DL (instead of VL, AL, BL). The DL models have radios for both CDMA and GSM. Same phone can be used with AT&T, T-mo, Verizon under Tracfone.
    So, does that mean if I had waited about 1 month, I wouldn't have had to get an unlocked phone?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris109 View Post
    So, does that mean if I had waited about 1 month, I wouldn't have had to get an unlocked phone?
    You lost me with that question. How's the "DL" suffix related to unlocked phone?

Feedback Score
    Probably thinking about the carrier possibilities.

Still would be limited to Tracfone MVNO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    You lost me with that question. How's the "DL" suffix related to unlocked phone?
    The unlocked phone was multiple carriers.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris109 View Post
    The only Moto G7s TF has offered have been DL models. Don't recall when they first offered them.

They are the same as the unlocked versions as far as carrier compatibility but SIM locked to TF companies. If used correctly for a year could be unlocked and be the same (except for bootloader unlock and probably a different update channel).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2