Thread: Voicemail Trouble on iPhone, very unusual...please help!

Feedback Score

Voicemail Trouble on iPhone, very unusual...please help!

Here's a new one for me:

A few weeks a go, I got the "could not activate cellular data" message on my iPhone. I went through the usual resetting of apn's and finally got me phone to work again with the ivzwinternet.tracfone.com. Since that date, any time I get a voicemail, I receive an indecipherable text from Verizon, with the date and time of the voicemail. But, I have not way of actually accessing the voicemail. In fact, it appears the service has completely disappeared. I do know the VM are being recorded somewhere because I tried my own number, left a message and then immediately got the odd text.

Any ideas? I've been with TracFone for years, have had lots of crazy things happen, but never experienced this.

Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I think you got switched to Visual Voice Mail. Someone in the forum can explain things in details for you.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    You did the right thing by asking your provider first. Do you have standard VM or Visual VM ?

Next step would be to troubleshoot with Apple once you confirm which version is active on your phone. Remember that Visual VM for iPhones is handled through Apple's VM system and not the carrier's VM system directly.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    I've always had VVM on my TracFone iPhones. This is the service of voicemail essentially disappearing. I can't even change my passcode on my VM as I get the message that voicemail service in unavailable.

Feedback Score
    Well, this proved to be the last straw for me and Tracfone. After 10+ years, I'm done. Switching to xfinity(also a Verizon MVNO) for unlimited talk, text and 1gb data per month for $12.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Well, 1) you could still access by remote access (call you number, hit * or #, then enter pass code)

2) VVM with the carrier (Verizon ) got enabled. Work fine with android but like to conflict with how Verizon sets the server for android.

Not sure why the difference or if there's a way to get Apple/iOS to work with it. Ask Apple or on an Apple forum. You didn't saw what phone or iOS version. It might matter. I tested my daughter's iPhone 6s (she's not using it yet) with my Android SIM but I don't remember if I tested VVM.

If not, get Tracfone to switch you back to regular VM.

FWIW, you may have been switched to a new APN to enable VoLTE and they thought you had an Android, or just mistakenly configured for Android.

The message you see is the server telling the phone a new message is available. On an android with VVM enabled the system intercepts them and downloads the new message over data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Well, 1) you could still access by remote access (call you number, hit * or #, then enter pass code)

*Unfortunately, can't do this. I don't have a passcode (since I only used VVM) and if I try to change the passcode, I get the message "voicemail service unavailable*

2) VVM with the carrier (Verizon ) got enabled. Work fine with android but like to conflict with how Verizon sets the server for android.
    *My iOS VVM was actually disabled, most likely by the apn change. I think you're right, that it may be a problem with thinking its an Android.

Not sure why the difference or if there's a way to get Apple/iOS to work with it. Ask Apple or on an Apple forum. You didn't saw what phone or iOS version. It might matter. I tested my daughter's iPhone 6s (she's not using it yet) with my Android SIM but I don't remember if I tested VVM.

If not, get Tracfone to switch you back to regular VM.

FWIW, you may have been switched to a new APN to enable VoLTE and they thought you had an Android, or just mistakenly configured for Android.

The message you see is the server telling the phone a new message is available. On an android with VVM enabled the system intercepts them and downloads the new message over data.
    I noticed someone else on this forum had the exact same problem. Going to reply to his post to see if he found a solution.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    You do have a passcode, you just might not remember it. Or it might have been set to an unknown code by iOS.

You can call TF and have them reset the code w/o erasing messages. Then call and login with the temporary, change it there (like in an old not-smart phone). You just can't use the uOS function to set/change it.

Feedback Score
    Is the passcode the last four digits of your phone number?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taxmantoo View Post
    Is the passcode the last four digits of your phone number?
    *Yes! that's it! The "call voicemail" button doesn't work on my phone, but at least I can get to it by calling *86 or using another phone. I've pretty much given up on trying to fix the removal of my iOS VVM as I'm switching carriers, but at least I was able to pick up my voicemail before the "IRS arrests me for the fraudulent activity on my card", lol! Thanks so much

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Good to hear.

Best of luck with Xfinity. I need more than 1GB/mo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Good to hear.

Best of luck with Xfinity. I need more than 1GB/mo.
    Right, 1GB is not a lot for most people, plenty for me. Both my teens will remain on TracFone, at least for the time being, for this very reason.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    The “ could not activate cellular data” problem was solved by a newer SIM card with my iPhone 6 about 17 months ago.

I can’t see how Tracfone is really the culprit with the VM issues. I think it’s Verizon , possibly Apple. But both problems emerged

simultaneously. So........? Anyway, the xfinity service & price is great.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NMBlue View Post
    Right, 1GB is not a lot for most people, plenty for me. Both my teens will remain on TracFone, at least for the time being, for this very reason.
    I use TW with 4 line plan. 25GB each for $25 each. (Actually unlimited 2G data but we never used all the high speed data).

2 line plan is $60 and 30 GB shared high speed.