Thread: WiFi exclamation point

Device(s)
    motorola 376g
    Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score

WiFi exclamation point

Hello and greetings.....about a year and a half ago, maybe more, I got a new straight talk (at and t version) zte max duo 4g LTE gem prepaid smart phone. Has worked great so far, not a hiçcup. Then within the last week or so, I am getting a WiFi shield symbol and an exclamation point or no internet access.

Tried various things. 1) turned on and off, no luck. 2) took out sim card and returned and turned on. No luck. ,3) went to settings, ànd WiFi and pressed down on source. Got a pop up window, checked advanced options, would not go further. No access to dns numbers or ipv numbers. 4) went to settings and data usage but not available on this phone under settings. No luck at all.

This phone from what I could find is running android 5.1.1, Z962BL, build/LMY47V

Chrome 78.0.3904.108

Do any of you good folks have any suggestions as I really don't want to rest the phone or buy a new one. My belief is a settings is off but were to look to find it??

Thank you all very much

Feedback Score
    did you try forgetting the wifi connection and try reconnecting ?? and is this wifi connection your home network connection or a public wifi connection (walmart - starbucks etc ) ??

Device(s)
    motorola 376g
    Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the thoughts. Checked the WiFi connection first thing. Was on. I am presently in a nursing home/physical rehabilitation facility. There is just the one connection for WiFi and the net.

Don't know if it means anything but when I go to settings, WiFi and hold down on the connection I want to make i get some tech data including speed and frequency and all looks good there just the fone will not connect to the net. Yet I am using a rca tablet and that runs great and I get connection all time. Still think it the fone but dont know how.

If I can get some screen shots will try to post them. Thank you again.

Feedback Score
    according to this on android central, that exclamation point means it switches to mobile data when wifi has no internet access - https://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...mark-next.html there's some fixes to try - https://support.google.com/nexus/for...%2FjMT2QYP31i8

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dogbreath View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts. Checked the WiFi connection first thing. Was on. I am presently in a nursing home/physical rehabilitation facility. There is just the one connection for WiFi and the net.

Don't know if it means anything but when I go to settings, WiFi and hold down on the connection I want to make i get some tech data including speed and frequency and all looks good there just the fone will not connect to the net. Yet I am using a rca tablet and that runs great and I get connection all time. Still think it the fone but dont know how.

If I can get some screen shots will try to post them. Thank you again.
    At the nursing home their Wifi may require you to go to a web page to agree to the Terms of Service and possibly enter a password. Try launching a web browser and browse to google or something. These systems typically will intercept the browse activity and redirect to their TOS. This is very common for facility Wifi.

Device(s)
    motorola 376g
    Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Hey Bob

All that is needed is a password, which I have and use. Still scratching my head. Thank you.

Device(s)
    motorola 376g
    Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Still no luck trying to connect to WiFi.

Tried this as I thought it might help......https://prepaidmobilephonereviews.co...ta-mms-issues/

No luck.

Tried the one on the google page, was interesting but did not help. Did the default thing. Nada!!

The XDA stuff looked way beyond my learning curve.

At least the phone and the test part still work OK.

Thanks again for all your help.

Feedback Score
    does your phone allow switching to either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz ?? there's been talk that some phones are refusing to connect to 2.4 GHz networks.

Feedback Score
    You said your tablet works connecting to Wi-Fi so that indicates something is wrong with the phone.

I know you said you don't want to do a factory reset but that might be the easiest way to fix it.

If you decide to try the factory reset make sure to backup any data on your phone first, if any.

Device(s)
    motorola 376g
    Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    @october262

No word on any issues regarding 5g, at least in my limited travels. Nothing on being able to switch from 2.4 to 5g and back. Tho the tech info when you go to settings to WiFi. And tap and tap on the provider, today for the first the under the tech data, the frequency was given as 5g. I was floored.

If I knew how to post a pic or a link to a pic I would share what I have.

@brad4cell

Hmmmm is there an easy and reliable way to transfer data from a fone without WiFi or net access or 4g to a brand-new phone??

Thank you very much

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dogbreath View Post
    @october262

@brad4cell

Hmmmm is there an easy and reliable way to transfer data from a fone without WiFi or net access or 4g to a brand-new phone??

Thank you very much
    I use a USB cable that I plug into a Windows PC and the phone.

I never transferred data from phone to phone so not sure.

However, the way I manage my phone is to never keep any personal data on it. My contacts are backed up on Google. My photos save to my SD card. So I have nothing to backup on the phone. I do have to download apps again which I do manually.