Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: RedPocket on AT&T network - no MMS on iPhones?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    84
    Carrier(s)
    RedPocket / Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    RedPocket on AT&T network - no MMS on iPhones?

    Was thinking of getting a family member onto RedPocket. She would be bringing an iPhone 6 that was formerly under contract with AT&T.

    I was skimming the FAQ's and found this:

    Does my plan include MMS (multimedia messages, ie. picture messages)?

    Yes, it sure does! However, please note that on our GSMA network MMS and group messaging will only work on an iPhone when iMessages are being used. MMS on Android devices is fully supported on the GSMA network and all other Red Pocket networks fully support MMS on iOS and Android devices. There are several easy-to-use apps that can accommodate picture messaging from an iPhone on our GSMA network to an Android. Here are a few of the most popular apps: FaceBook Messenger, WhatsApp, & Google Hangouts
    So no MMS on iPhone? What workarounds are people using for this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,600
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by serpico7100t View Post
    Was thinking of getting a family member onto RedPocket. She would be bringing an iPhone 6 that was formerly under contract with AT&T.

    I was skimming the FAQ's and found this:



    So no MMS on iPhone? What workarounds are people using for this?
    Nope been that way for various AT&T mvnos forever.

    Workout would be use iMessage with other iPhones. Or use something like google hangouts which would use a different number.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

    I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

    My Photography www.hunterspad.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    210
    Device(s)
    All of them
    Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Nope been that way for various AT&T mvnos forever.

    Workout would be use iMessage with other iPhones. Or use something like google hangouts which would use a different number.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Boom has MMS on Att


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome rate plans @ www.boom.us
    To request support please visit support.boom.us and open a ticket.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    DC-MD-VA
    Posts
    716
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by serpico7100t View Post
    Was thinking of getting a family member onto RedPocket. She would be bringing an iPhone 6 that was formerly under contract with AT&T.

    I was skimming the FAQ's and found this:



    So no MMS on iPhone? What workarounds are people using for this?
    RP has been teasing this on SlickDeals:
    https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpo...4&postcount=77
    Your, you're, yore; there, their, they're; to, too, two; by, buy; add, ad; for, four, fore.
    a) better to light a candle, or b) curse the darkness?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,818
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    RP has been teasing this on SlickDeals:
    https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpo...4&postcount=77
    I think a lot of iPhone users will be really happy when that takes effect!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    84
    Carrier(s)
    RedPocket / Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Nope been that way for various AT&T mvnos forever.
    Maybe that's the issue she's been having with the same (GSM) iPhone on prepaid Truphone. She receives text messages, but not group texts. Also doesn't receive picture messages.

    It's very annoying, and the primary reason we're considering moving to another MVNO.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,818
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by serpico7100t View Post
    Maybe that's the issue she's been having with the same (GSM) iPhone on prepaid Truphone. She receives text messages, but not group texts. Also doesn't receive picture messages.

    It's very annoying, and the primary reason we're considering moving to another MVNO.
    Truphone doesn't support MMS at all for any kind of phone.

    https://www.truphone.com/support/why...-sms-messages/
    We do not support the sending or receiving of Multimedia Messaging Services (MMS). For this reason, you may also experience errors if you are attempting to send a group message or a long text message (over 760 characters), as some handsets will convert these messages from SMS to MMS.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,818
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    This info is current as far as I know, but if it's wrong, hopefully someone will provide a correction.

    AT&T MVNOs that support MMS on iPhones include, but probably aren't limited to:
    Tracfone
    Net10
    Straight Talk
    Pure TalkUSA
    boom!
    Cricket (Not MVNO; AT&T Owned)
    Consumer Cellular

    AT&T MVNOs that do NOT support MMS on iPhones include, but probably aren't limited to:
    H2O
    Black Wireless
    Red Pocket
    AirVoice

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,274
    Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just sent a MMS message from Redpocket ATT (iPhone SE) to a Moto phone on Redpocket Verizon. A photo.

    But I had to install a modified profile to the phone. The profile you can download from Red Pocket has an issue that also makes it slow to change to LTE.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    84
    Carrier(s)
    RedPocket / Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesB View Post
    Boom has MMS on Att
    I've used Boom before, and they were ok. But unfortunately they don't have a plan that is as limited and low cost as we're looking for. She barely uses the phone off of wifi, so we were eyeing RedPocket's $60/360-day plan, which is on sale now on ebay, so it's even less than $5/mo. Great for a very low use case.

    Cheapest Boom plan for blue/AT&T network is $20/mo.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    715
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by serpico7100t View Post
    I've used Boom before, and they were ok. But unfortunately they don't have a plan that is as limited and low cost as we're looking for. She barely uses the phone off of wifi, so we were eyeing RedPocket's $60/360-day plan, which is on sale now on ebay, so it's even less than $5/mo. Great for a very low use case.

    Cheapest Boom plan for blue/AT&T network is $20/mo.
    Unless you are opposed to TracFone, the cost probably matches RP with recent 1 year $40 (even $50 ones ) cards on ebay - and you would

    get MMS support on ATT. Just my 2 cents.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    84
    Carrier(s)
    RedPocket / Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    Unless you are opposed to TracFone, the cost probably matches RP with recent 1 year $40 (even $50 ones ) cards on ebay - and you would

    get MMS support on ATT. Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks. Not opposed to Tracfone. Just checked them out. The $40 1yr plan on ebay is 1200 Min,1200 Txt, 3GB Data for the entire year. I'd be worried she'd go over on the minutes or the data before a year is up. But I guess they sell refills like the other prepaid MVNOs.

    Any reason not to go with Tracfone vs RedPocket? I'm familiar with RP since I currently use it. Not familiar with Tracfone other than drug dealers used to use it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    715
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by serpico7100t View Post
    Thanks. Not opposed to Tracfone. Just checked them out. The $40 1yr plan on ebay is 1200 Min,1200 Txt, 3GB Data for the entire year. I'd be worried she'd go over on the minutes or the data before a year is up. But I guess they sell refills like the other prepaid MVNOs.

    Any reason not to go with Tracfone vs RedPocket? I'm familiar with RP since I currently use it. Not familiar with Tracfone other than drug dealers used to use it.
    The yearly minutes/text are the same: 1200 , RP data per year is 6GB, twice that of TF. But RP Data is doled out @500

    GB per month. So during time frames of increased usage, TF could be more attractive.

    Obviously the MMS issue on iPhones is what started this discussion, so the idea of TF was tossed out.

    RP and TF both offer add-on purchase options for minutes, text, data. Promo codes used with TF can buy 1.5 GB for

    $10. It all depends on usage patterns. Porting a number is not difficult, but not something to do on a whim.

    Best wishes.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Of you have a late model iPhone that can do all carriers, there's no reason not to use Verizon CDMAV. 5 gb plan was only reason to use AT&T

    Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    84
    Carrier(s)
    RedPocket / Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Of you have a late model iPhone that can do all carriers, there's no reason not to use Verizon CDMAV. 5 gb plan was only reason to use AT&T

    Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app
    Her phone is an iPhone 6+. Not sure how to check if it can be used on Verizon.

    I certainly wouldn't mind using VZ network. That's what I use with my phone and RedPocket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. No MMS on AT&T Avail.
    By Keith122 in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-09-2012, 07:00 AM
  2. NO MMS on AT&T pearl?
    By mjjuevos in forum RIM (Blackberry)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-05-2007, 02:37 PM
  3. Rogers people on HoFo. Why is there no MMS on Windows Mobile
    By naftalim in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2006, 12:51 PM
  4. roaming on AT&T GSM network in Bay Area?
    By literfizzer in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-25-2005, 12:25 PM
  5. KIC now active on AT&T GSM network
    By dmarkson in forum AT&T
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2004, 10:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks