Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Is WiFi calling reliable on AT&T?

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Yeah.. all of my group messaging is ever done in an app or iMessage, although I only regularly talk to two android users.

Last month on my statement I used 14 SMS/MMS haha
    Wow. We use several thousand a month.

Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk/ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Next, Wi-Fi calling itself. It seems to work for calls, it generally works for SMS, but it doesn't work for MMS, at least on most Android phones. I was at a complex recently with very weak AT&T service (right between two towers, works fine outside), and using Wi-Fi calling, I kept getting MMS failures, and finally realized that if I toggled Wi-Fi off, the MMS messages would come flooding in, and then I'd have to toggle it back on to make sure I'd have service for everything else if I wandered too far from a window where there is cellular service. I've had the same experience at other locations, so it's an AT&T issue, not specific to that building or Comcast at that location. I also have issues getting it to move over to Wi-Fi calling, even at -121dBm LTE or worse, so I sometimes have to cycle airplane mode or even put Wi-Fi on in Airplane mode to force it onto Wi-Fi calling, then turn the cellular radio back on.

That being said, it's certainly better than not having it, but I wish that they would make it work properly and reliably.
    That seems odd, since MMS absolutely needs data service, being IP based. Sounds more like a hand off issue, but I don't question what you report. I'm liking Google Voice on Straight Talk/AT&T with forwarding turned off everywhere and GV on the phone preferring wifi and data. Functions well, and there's no question of the carrier's voice mail suddenly jumping in front of mine and such nonsense from MVNOs losing access to base carrier features. The carrier number system is such a weird clone of the old DC continuity based PSTN that it has become archaic.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Wow. We use several thousand a month.
    Most of my android friends are on WhatsApp or Telegram due to SMS being garbage for group chat situations and being so limited, the others are on iMessage (getting an iPhone user to download Telegram is like pulling teeth otherwise i'd use it for everything, but some do it)
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Feedback Score
    I have never had an issue with WiFi calling. For me it works fine. I had a couple of instances where it really shined. Once instance we were at a family event in North Carolina (wedding), the town we were all staying in was small and out of the way and it was an absolute black hole for cell service on any carrier (zero signal). However the Bed & Breakfast had WiFi, and when I joined it, WiFi calling kicked in instantly and I was able to make phone calls and text all around the entire property (outside and inside) just as if I was using Cellular, had zero issues with it. The other instance I didn't even know I was using it because I leave WiFi enabled on my iPhone all the time. Over a holiday weekend (4th of July) a couple of years ago, I was at home watching a movie (took the day off from work before the weekend) and my wife calls me on my cell phone from her office telling me her cell phone didn't work. To make a long story short, there was a major fiber back bone that was cut in our small area of the county, which affected all the cell carriers. And when that happened I had no idea at home because my phone kicked over to WiFi calling and I had been calling and texting all day just fine. I walked my Wife through enabling WiFi calling on her cell phone and then she had service at work. So we just leave it enabled all the time on our cell phones (iPhones) and really don't pay much attention to if it is on our not, for us and my experience, it works pretty good, even in instances with zero cell signal like I mentioned in my examples.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3