Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is WiFi calling reliable on AT&T?

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    In all honestly it’s actually worked quite reliably for me. Even when transitioning from the macro to Wi-Fi calling, and vice versa. I’m sure a reliable broadband connection has something to do with it, but if people are having some issues then it could be on AT&T’s side as well. But I have no complaints with it. It’s always worked great on any iPhone that I ever owned.
    You're on an iPhone, right? I'm starting to wonder if this is an Android implementation issue more than an actual Wi-Fi calling issue. That being said, the carriers don't seem to do anything about it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm pretty sure the handoff to the macro drops for me due to poor AT&T signal at my residence.
    Durham, NC

Device(s)
    i205
    Carrier(s)
    nextel
    Feedback Score
    Wifi calling and sms work fine. Android phone mms does not work well. I have to call att and have them reset my wifi calling on their end. Then mms will work for a few days and then go down again.....

Device(s)
    Iphone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mgmrick View Post
    Wifi calling and sms work fine. Android phone mms does not work well. I have to call att and have them reset my wifi calling on their end. Then mms will work for a few days and then go down again.....
    I have similar MMS issues with IPhone on WiFi Calling. It’s not phone specific as I’ve had the issue with every iPhone since they launched WiFi calling. It’s been that way for years. Calls & texts work great but MMS is hit or miss. I get an occasional dropped WiFi call, but overall very reliable in weak areas of coverage, especially at my home. I find toggling airplane made on & off will work when MMS won’t send but I occasionally miss incoming MMS because it’s not reliable.

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Fairly reliable on my LG V40 on Android 9. Use it the most at my folks house.

They actually have an M-Cell on DSL. Where as Wi-Fi calling is routed over a Bandluxe LTE router hooked up to a Wilson LTE Drive cellular amplifier and antenna. This brings their typical -117db signal to a solid -69db. Speed is usually 15mbps/15mbps. The calls are crystal clear easier transition when leaving the house versus the M-Cell. The only negative being if the power goes down they rely solely on Wi-Fi calling which is glitchy when it comes to receiving incoming calls.

Both their iPhones will bounce back and forth between Macro and Wi-Fi where as the M-Cell just provides a consistent -66dbm.

So it works but it's not reliable enough for everyday usage. You would need to keep your phone in airplane mode with only Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi calling enabled to gain reliability.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    You're on an iPhone, right? I'm starting to wonder if this is an Android implementation issue more than an actual Wi-Fi calling issue. That being said, the carriers don't seem to do anything about it.
    I’m using the XS Max.
    Hartford, CT Area

Feedback Score
    No. WiFi calling is not reliable.

First of all, let's clarify what it is for. Wi-Fi calling will only kick in if there is weak cell service. If you have good cell service, the cell service will always take priority, even if you're connected to a Wi-Fi 6 router with 17 antennas and a 2gbps fiber connection with 2ms ping...
    This has not been my experience. I now have -106dBm signal level at my apartment and I am always on Wi-Fi calling. I don't know if this is considered a good signal but I never had a problem with calls on my old phone that didn't support Wi-Fi calling.

I really appreciate warning about MMS. This alone will cause me to keep Wi-Fi calling off unless necessary.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL, Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Haters will say Wi-Fi Calling sucks/doesn't work. I myself have used Wi-Fi Calling on an S7 edge and now a Pixel 3a XL, which need I remind the haters, isn't even an AT&T phone. I've been in areas of no service, areas with low service, and areas of decent/acceptable service, and have never experienced any hand-off issues. I have, however, experienced maybe 1-2 spats of IMS entirely being broken, which not only affects Wi-Fi Calling, but also affects VoLTE and video calling.

I've been on multiple Wi-Fi connections as well, in different states, and not nary a problem. I was actually driving around in the Appalachian Mountains in Southwest Virginia, and didn't have a drop of cellular service, but found an xfinitywifi public network and I was even able to make a call using that, and it was completely serviceable!

I've also never really had issues with SMS/MMS not going through, even now on the Pixel, over Wi-Fi Calling. I will say this though: set your expectations accordingly. Wi-Fi Calling itself is a great feature, but it's mostly dependent on the connection you are on. I'm typically on Comcast/Xfinity, Spectrum/TWC, and AT&T Uverse (Fiber) connections with good equipment (Netgear Orbi systems, for example). If you don't have stable Wi-Fi/internet, Wi-Fi Calling can be sub-par or borderline unusable.

Everyone wants to say this or that about the reliability of xyz, but almost everyone on my AT&T account (that's 8 people) use Wi-Fi Calling and not one of them have complained about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    CSD was rarely used, and was before they started referring to cell phone technology in G's. This G stuff really started with 3G coverage and its because the 2nd iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. That's where cell phone tech got the G's from. The G stands for Gigs and the number is the number of Gigs the signal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Oh boy....
    Quote Originally Posted by AttData View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by balleron24z View Post
    Haters will say Wi-Fi Calling sucks/doesn't work.
    I'm not a hater. I use Wi-Fi calling, and I'm much better off for having flaky Wi-Fi calling that can't do MMS than not having it at all. I just acknowledge that it's flaky and sometimes has issues.

Wi-Fi Calling itself is a great feature, but it's mostly dependent on the connection you are on. I'm typically on Comcast/Xfinity, Spectrum/TWC, and AT&T Uverse (Fiber) connections with good equipment (Netgear Orbi systems, for example). If you don't have stable Wi-Fi/internet, Wi-Fi Calling can be sub-par or borderline unusable.

Everyone wants to say this or that about the reliability of xyz, but almost everyone on my AT&T account (that's 8 people) use Wi-Fi Calling and not one of them have complained about it.
    Of course if you have crap internet, it's not going to work well. However, I have used it on very fast and reliable connections and it's been quite flaky.

Device(s)
    iPhones 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have WiFi calling enabled on cricket. I have no issues most of the time on my atnt dsl connection. Before when I had a slow upload speed before we upgraded to a better plan I had to turn it off beacuse the quality was horrible. Now that my upload is at least 3 mpbs it is not bad. Before it was horrible on 0.70 mpbs dsl.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    I'm not a hater. I use Wi-Fi calling, and I'm much better off for having flaky Wi-Fi calling that can't do MMS than not having it at all. I just acknowledge that it's flaky and sometimes has issues.

Of course if you have crap internet, it's not going to work well. However, I have used it on very fast and reliable connections and it's been quite flaky.
    I've never once had the issues you've mentioned.

If the Cellular is strong enough to handle the call.. VoLTE just takes it over, and if WiFi is better.... my iPhone chooses that. Not once have I had a dropped call, blank audio (since fixing MY WiFi network), etc..

I would have occasional blank audio when I was using AT&T WiFi extenders, but that's because those do not work as a true mesh network with the gateway. I went back to using my Google WiFI for the house, and that issue even went away.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I've never once had the issues you've mentioned.

If the Cellular is strong enough to handle the call.. VoLTE just takes it over, and if WiFi is better.... my iPhone chooses that. Not once have I had a dropped call, blank audio (since fixing MY WiFi network), etc..

I would have occasional blank audio when I was using AT&T WiFi extenders, but that's because those do not work as a true mesh network with the gateway. I went back to using my Google WiFI for the house, and that issue even went away.
    I don't know that I've ever had a dropped call, but I have constant issues with it flipping back and forth or not engaging Wi-Fi calling when it should. The MMS is probably the most annoying issue, but now I've figured out how to get around it as long as I have a tiny bit of cellular service around near a window or something.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    I don't know that I've ever had a dropped call, but I have constant issues with it flipping back and forth or not engaging Wi-Fi calling when it should. The MMS is probably the most annoying issue, but now I've figured out how to get around it as long as I have a tiny bit of cellular service around near a window or something.
    I would not know about MMS, as 99.9% of people I know use iMessage or something like Telegram/WhatsApp. I do not know one android person who uses SMS/MMS to be honest.

And i'm wondering if this is an issue with your Samsung, as iPhones will stay on WiFi until the call is ended unless the WiFi just drops out.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I would not know about MMS, as 99.9% of people I know use iMessage or something like Telegram/WhatsApp. I do not know one android person who uses SMS/MMS to be honest.

And i'm wondering if this is an issue with your Samsung, as iPhones will stay on WiFi until the call is ended unless the WiFi just drops out.
    Everyone I know uses SMS/MMS, both iPhone and Android. Group texts with iPhone people are majority Android, so they are MMS as well.

I haven't had issues with calling, it's everything else. I also don't make that many phone calls, mostly SMS/MMS and data.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Everyone I know uses SMS/MMS, both iPhone and Android. Group texts with iPhone people are majority Android, so they are MMS as well.

I haven't had issues with calling, it's everything else. I also don't make that many phone calls, mostly SMS/MMS and data.
    Yeah.. all of my group messaging is ever done in an app or iMessage, although I only regularly talk to two android users.

Last month on my statement I used 14 SMS/MMS haha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast