Thread: How to UNLOCK TF Samsung J7 Crown to use on Total Wireless Network ?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7 Crown
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score

Question How to UNLOCK TF Samsung J7 Crown to use on Total Wireless Network ?

My phones are on TF for 10+ years now. I need more Data capacity and wish to change over to Total Wireless.

I have TF's Samsung Galaxy J7 Crown. Total Wireless also uses/sells this exact same model.

However, when I check my IMEI on TW's website it shows it to be Incompatible. Surely my phone is LOCKED to TF only.

So how do I go about Unlocking this Galaxy J7 Crown to use on Total Wireless ?

TIA
    Last edited by Labrat0116; 11-29-2019 at 05:02 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7 Crown
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    NO CAN DO.

TF Policy says a phone bought from them MUST stay active for 12 Months of continuous service BEFORE it can be UNLOCKED.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You should be able to use the phone on Total Wireless. Rebranding between Tracfone brands can happen as long as the phone is Verizon based Tracfone phones. I know people have switch Tracfone to PagePlus and Total Wireless with no issue. I have a Tracfone MyFlip on Total Wireless with the same SIM that came with the phone. I know there are a few people that switch Tracfone phones to other Tracfone brands with the SIM that came the phone.

The only issue comes if the phone has been already activated. It might need a new SIM card to get it rebranded.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7 Crown
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    You should be able to use the phone on Total Wireless. Rebranding between Tracfone brands can happen as long as the phone is Verizon based Tracfone phones. I know people have switch Tracfone to PagePlus and Total Wireless with no issue. I have a Tracfone MyFlip on Total Wireless with the same SIM that came with the phone. I know there are a few people that switch Tracfone phones to other Tracfone brands with the SIM that came the phone.

The only issue comes if the phone has been already activated. It might need a new SIM card to get it rebranded.
    Thanks for the info.

Would a SIM card from TW need to be activated to see if it will work in my TF ?

I'm going to run out and get a TW SIM card from Wally World and see if it will work.

Feedback Score
    You don't even have to call for a swap. Just put an active Total Wireless sim in a TracFone smartphone and it'll just work.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It should. All Verizon based Tracfone and Tracfone brands use the same SIM cards. That is why they are easily rebranded.

By the way, I just thought of something. What version of the J7 Crown do you have? I know there is S767VL and S757BL listed as a J7 Crown. The S767VL is a Verizon version, and the S757BL is T-Mobile/AT&T version.

Feedback Score
    If your phone is the 767VL like @advcomp2019 mentioned, and you want to keep your same phone number, you'll need a new SIM. Either a TW or TF BYOP SIM should work. After you activate the new SIM with your number port from TF the old TF SIM is deactivated and you could use it in another phone for activation on any TF company VZW carrier. That's all based on my experience and info in other threads.