Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why doesn't Verizon cover the Bowling Green, KY Area?

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    Possible I was hitting fringe coverage but that seems like a stretch even with reasonable terrain there. If I was hitting fringe coverage, then this would be a really good data point of the pros of the CDMA sunset.
    I have to suspect that's what it is, as I always understood LTEiRA to mean that territory was exclusive to the LTEiRA partner, and Verizon didn't build out a network there, but I could be wrong on that count. I'm not following what you're saying about the CDMA sunset?

My recent experience is the closest known Verizon towers would have been up to 60 miles from my travel line. I lost native coverage on OK-34 north of Vici OK, to Woodward and then US-412, and regained native service driving on OK-50 south of Freedom OK.
    That seems barely able to cover with B13’s range, and not possible with B4/66, B2, B5 or still active CDMA. That is why I think they might have overbuilt using other spectrum. Pioneer did not lease out B4/66 because they already have a couple licenses of their own in NW Oklahoma (the rest being gobbled up by the big 4, Dish and USCC).
    Verizon claims a few splotches of native coverage on their map just south of Freedom, OK. The coverage appears to be coming in from the west, but it does appear that there is some overlap between the two carriers, so I'm not sure how that's hashed out in contracts. There's a blob of native coverage on Verizon's map that appears to be from a tower near the Woodward Iodine corporation. It would appear to me, based off of Verizon's map that they have co-located on this tower after the Street View images were taken in 2014:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.5500...7i13312!8i6656

It's the only tall structure in the area that lines up with the blob on their map. Cellmapper shows this tower as being B13 Verizon, but I suspect that's actually Pioneer, since they hold the lease to B13 in that area, and it doesn't line up with the native Verizon blob (no street view):

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fr...!4d-99.1128789

Pioneer's coverage map (or what I could find online for it) is pretty much useless:

https://www.cellularmaps.com/pio.shtml

I plan to test again when I am traveling through the area next time. Since I have a OnePlus CDMA-less device, I should be able to get an idea of pure LTE coverage and thus better pinpoint what specific towers I am leaning on for native voice. Though my travel plans probably won’t happen before years end.
    That would be interesting. The most bizarre part about that site is that it looks like something a carrier would put up as a license protection site on a map, until you zoom in and see that no one lives there, so it would be useless as such. License protection sites are usually on the largest town/city in a county to get a bunch of POPs in on the cheap. On the other hand, I'm not really sure what the heck their map is showing, and all of these maps lie to one extent or another, although I think Verizon now may be the least ridiculous map of them all, with T-Mobile probably being the most so (or Sprint if you zoom out too far and just get Verizon, Sprint, C-Spire, and US Cellular all mashed together).

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    . The most bizarre part about that site is that it looks like something a carrier would put up as a license protection site on a map, until you zoom in and see that no one lives there, so it would be useless as such.
    Some bands the requirement was by area coverage and not POPs; maybe it's a license protection site for a area-based license? Alternately, VZW does run wireless backhaul site-to-site quite a bit (run fiber to sites that can get it, and wireless backhaul from them out to the rest), maybe this site is mainly there relay backhaul to some isolated sites?

Feedback Score
    Based on cellmapper, the Bowling Green area has coverage:

https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=3...orColours=true

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Based on cellmapper, the Bowling Green area has coverage:

It may but I don't trust that site. Not very accurate

Feedback Score
    It takes information directly from the app on the phones. How can be inaccurate? It's not like is just one person plopping those dots on the maps.

Feedback Score
    It takes information directly from the app on the phones. How can be inaccurate? It's not like is just one person plopping those dots on the maps.
    Well here's an example show ZERO coverage in this town. Considering I have been here many times I know that is incorrect.

Also in my town which is somehow mapped despite being 1/3 the population of just the COLLEGE in the town in the link above it's still not accurate because it shows the tower in my town as having only bands 2,4 and 13 and I KNOW for a fact that it has bands 5 and 66 also. And these aren't even recent additions. At least 6-8 months for band 5 and nearly a year for band 66.

And for T-Mobile it's the opposite. Show basically little coverage in my town and shows the tower as having bands 4,12 and 66 even though it's had band 71 for almost a year.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    In my town it shows Vodafone UK has coverage. Look around airports and you'll see it shows other forigen carriers. Due to the phones roaming and reporting incorrectly.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Crowdsourced information is never 100% accurate, that's true.
    But as long as people provide the information and update/supplement data as needed, it tends to be accurate enough to use as a guide.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Some bands the requirement was by area coverage and not POPs; maybe it's a license protection site for a area-based license? Alternately, VZW does run wireless backhaul site-to-site quite a bit (run fiber to sites that can get it, and wireless backhaul from them out to the rest), maybe this site is mainly there relay backhaul to some isolated sites?
    I believe PCS and other higher bands are POPs, and they don't own B5/13 there.

Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    In my town it shows Vodafone UK has coverage. Look around airports and you'll see it shows other forigen carriers. Due to the phones roaming and reporting incorrectly.
    It's a secret British invasion. They want the colonies back now that they're going to lose Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    it's still not accurate because it shows the tower in my town as having only bands 2,4 and 13 and I KNOW for a fact that it has bands 5 and 66 also.
    You know that, using MFBI, band 4 on VZW is now shown as band 66 - but only by the phones with that capability!
    So if a guy with a phone that doesn't support B66 goes by that location, Cellmapper app will report B4. Because that's what the phone saw!
    If another guy with a galaxy S10 uses the Cellmapper app there, than it will show B66. That's nothing wrong there.

Also, "you know" it has B5. Then... install the app and it will be reported! The website cannot report anything if nobody does the testing in that location.
    Same with T-Mobile and reporting B71 - it cannot be shown if nobody did sampled it with a phone capable of B71!
    That doesn't prove that those VZW reports from Bowling Green are fake or wrong!

Also, about Roaming of foreign carriers... I am curious to see those too!
    Because in US it doesn't happen - see below Vodafone UK over US - zero reports:

Name:  vodafone.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  28.3 KB
    Last edited by SoNic67; 12-16-2019 at 07:39 PM.

Feedback Score
    You know that, using MFBI, band 4 on VZW is now shown as band 66 - but only by the phones with that capability!
    So if a guy with a phone that doesn't support B66 goes by that location, Cellmapper app will report B4. Because that's what the phone saw!
    If another guy with a galaxy S10 uses the Cellmapper app there, than it will show B66. That's nothing wrong there.

Also, "you know" it has B5. Then... install the app and it will be reported! The website cannot report anything if nobody does the testing in that location.

Same with T-Mobile and reporting B71 - it cannot be shown if nobody did sampled it with a phone capable of B71!
    That doesn't prove that those VZW reports from Bowling Green are fake or wrong!

Name:  vodafone.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  28.3 KB
    Then that makes the map inaccurate. And I shouldn't have to do someone else's job. Am I getting paid to do work? No? imagine if companies ran this way. hey let's have unpaid volunteers work for McDonald's would you eat there?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Then that makes the map inaccurate. And I shouldn't have to do someone else's job. Am I getting paid to do work? No? imagine if companies ran this way. hey let's have unpaid volunteers work for McDonald's would you eat there?
    It's a community-operated information tool, and not something that people pay to use. Can't really compare this to something corporate like McDonald's.

It honestly isn't much different than using forums like this or even reddit for information gathering.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    All I said was that SOMEONE had service in the Bowling Green area, and is documented by Cellmapper.
    The comments that something else is not documented in other places doesn't change the first fact.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score

Why doesn't Verizon cover the Bowling Green, KY Area?

All I said was that SOMEONE had service in the Bowling Green area, and is documented by Cellmapper.
    The comments that something else is not documented in other places doesn't change the first fact.
    It was probably a Verizon phone roaming. like I said above if you look around airports you’ll see a lot of foreign NON us carriers show up as having service it’s how the phone is reporting incorrectly.

It’s probably reporting it as Verizon coverage as it’s probably treated as home coverage anyway due to the partnership or whatever

Like AT&T. att will still show AT&T even when your actually roaming! Only time roaming would show the carrier name is if there’s a code in the account (which is hard to get now) and had to be asked for. Or roaming outside the US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    It’s probably reporting it as Verizon coverage as it’s probably treated as home coverage anyway due to the partnership or whatever

Like AT&T. att will still show AT&T even when your actually roaming! Only time roaming would show the carrier name is if there’s a code in the account (which is hard to get now) and had to be asked for. Or roaming outside the US
    I can't even figure out if I have 4EON anymore. At one point I did. AT&T is really sleazy with Extended/Roaming, I wish they would show what network you're actually on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2