Thread: unlocking samsung j3 sky and transferring in number from sprint

Device(s)
    various tracfones
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

unlocking samsung j3 sky and transferring in number from sprint

Got thru to unlocking dept at tracfone about unlocking samsung J3 sky. They said they would do it. They gave me a pin number and said it was done. They said it would continue working on tracfone as it had been. This seems too easy. Is there any easy way I can check it? It had triple minutes and I hope it keeps them for the future.

I want to now transfer in a number from sprint to use with my tracfone time and minutes. I guess the old tracfone number will be lost. That is ok with me unless there is an easy way to keep it for a while.It will be ok with me to use the unlocked J3 for a while. I may eventually change to my unlocked moto phone. It would then be better to have an unlocked J3 so I do want to be sure that it is unlocked while I am still eligible for unlocking.

To change the number from sprint I think all I have to do is call Tracfone and give them my sprint phone number and my pin, which I wrote down when I transferred into sprint from tracfone. As I understand it that should stop my billings from sprint. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of before I do this. I really want to keep the number I am transferring in from sprint. I have had that number for a long time and is the number I transferred out of tracfone when I went into Sprint

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Soyjim View Post
    Got thru to unlocking dept at tracfone about unlocking samsung J3 sky. They said they would do it. They gave me a pin number and said it was done. They said it would continue working on tracfone as it had been. This seems too easy. Is there any easy way I can check it?
    To verify that your phone was unlocked by TF (for use with other providers), put in a non-TF SIM like Ting, Red Pocket, Mint, etc. If your phone accepts those SIMs, then it was indeed unlocked. If you get the error message "Invalid SIM", then it's still locked to Tracfone.

Device(s)
    various tracfones
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The only non tracfone sim card I have is the active one in the sprint phone. I hate to mess with that cause I am soon to be making changes. (cancelling) I may stop over at the local sprint office soon and see if they will test the J3 phone.

Feedback Score
    The only non tracfone sim card I have is the active one in the sprint phone. I hate to mess with that cause I am soon to be making changes. (cancelling) I may stop over at the local sprint office soon and see if they will test the J3 phone.
    enter the phones IMEI or MEID to see if it can be used on sprint - https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/bring...D=LP:BYOD:Shop

Device(s)
    various tracfones
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    It did not work. Sprint gives a message that the phone can't be activated. Maybe a little more time will help. I guess I will have to look into the ticket number for the unlocking.

Feedback Score

Does Sprint run on Verizon?
    Isn't the Samsung Sky a VL (which is Verizon only) model?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLC View Post

Does Sprint run on Verizon?
    Isn't the Samsung Sky a VL (which is Verizon only) model?
    Sprint and Verizon both use CDMA technology, but not the same frequencies. The J3 Sky won't work on Sprint.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    It did not work. Sprint gives a message that the phone can't be activated. Maybe a little more time will help. I guess I will have to look into the ticket number for the unlocking.
    Your first post said you wanted to port your phone number from Sprint to TF and use your Sky. Your Sky doesn't need to be unlocked to receive a number port from Sprint. But then you asked Sprint to activate the Sky on Sprint? Why?

Device(s)
    various tracfones
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    My computer just went down. This post will be coming from my phone. It's the first time I have done that. Please forgive any errors that come across.

My j-3 is currently being used on TracFone. I have a another phone that works on Sprint. I want to cancel the Sprint account and transfer the number to TracFone account.

I will then put a different phone on the tracfone account and have the j3 to be used if needed anywhere. I figure it's better to have an unlocked phone then a locked phone as backup. Once the phone goes inactive it will no longer be in conformance with TracFones unlocking rules.

Hope that answers the question. I may be away from this forum for a while.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    various tracfones
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The reason I ran the Sprint test on the j3 was to see if it was unlocked. I still have the option of testing the j3 with a different Sim as HP suggested.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Just go ahead and get TF to port your Sprint phone number to the J3. Use Chat so you'll have a record of what was said & done. Copy the chat transcript from you screen and paste it into a file on your computer for safekeeping.

Whenever you have access to a non-TF SIM, put it into the J3 and see if it rejects that SIM. If it does not, then the phone was unlocked.