Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dss

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    I haven't seen any 4x4 MIMO on 13 or 5. Just 66 and 2.
    How can you tell? Is there an app that can show you that?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    How can you tell? Is there an app that can show you that?

You can see 4RxD real time info in Samsung Service Mode in two different sub-menus. I highlighted the fields where the receive antennas are active/inactive. Also, phones that are rooted can utilize the Network Signal Guru app which provides more in depth network info.

Name:  20191203_132706.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  20191203_132817.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  41.4 KB

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    at 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch for 2.5 GHz then 600 would require 6 inch by 6 inch or 2 feet by 2 feet for 4X4
    Twice as many elements also because its FDD. I don't know the minimum number of antennas needed for a system to be defined as massive mimo maybe 16, 32, 64 and so on, so at a minimum at 600mhz it would be 32 (16x16) large antenna elements but that's a guess on my part.

BTW because Tmobile does not have 600 rolled out nationwide due to scheduled hand off delays from tv stations so they also implemented it on their PCS or 700 such as in my area - not sure specific bands though. I looked at their maps and wondered how they rolled it out here since band 71 won't be in place for another year and read on Fierce Wireless they said that. Also the phones they are selling will work for 5G on Sprint band 41 - the first thing they'll enable on Tmobile. While I believe their 5G on 600 is pure marketing and kind of deceptive - after they merge they will have a real powerhouse with 5G on band 41.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Twice as many elements also because its FDD. I don't know the minimum number of antennas needed for a system to be defined as massive mimo maybe 16, 32, 64 and so on, so at a minimum at 600mhz it would be 32 (16x16) large antenna elements but that's a guess on my part.

BTW because Tmobile does not have 600 rolled out nationwide due to scheduled hand off delays from tv stations so they also implemented it on their PCS or 700 such as in my area - not sure specific bands though. I looked at their maps and wondered how they rolled it out here since band 71 won't be in place for another year and read on Fierce Wireless they said that. Also the phones they are selling will work for 5G on Sprint band 41 - the first thing they'll enable on Tmobile. While I believe their 5G on 600 is pure marketing and kind of deceptive - after they merge they will have a real powerhouse with 5G on band 41.
    Yes IF the merger gets approved. I'm not putting the cart before the horse here. As far as 600. The last phase ends on Jul 3. Your profile says you live in Rhode Island if that's still true the last station affecting you move on Jan 17 2020

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    https://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=21991

Verizon, Qualcomm, and Ericsson today performed a live demo of 5G operating in a sub-6 GHz frequency band using DSS (dynamic spectrum sharing) technology, enabling the use of band 5 (850 MHz) for both 4G LTE and 5G NR technologies simultaneously..............

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I understand it fine. I also understand that 10 MHz is just that and you don't magically turn it into 20 MHz. Current 4G spectrum should stay on 4G until there is significant numbers of 5G device out there.
    That's the thing though. DSS (dynamic spectrum sharing), LTE and 5G both use resource blocks, a block is some chunk of that 5, 10, or 20mhz spectrum during a timeslot. DSS just lets the site change between 4G and 5G per time-slot. These timeslots are like 0.5ms long, so really there'll be no 5G timeslots running when there's no 5G phones. From a 4G phone's perspective, as 5G phones turn up, they are indeed using 4G spectrum, but (based on the "20-100% speed increase" claims) using 50-80% the resources on the channel they would use if they were 4G.

As for Verizon? I'd also guess band 13 may stay 4G, as far as I know they probably have the original band 13 equipment on a fair number of sites, while the AWS, PCS, and 850 LTE hardware would be considerably newer. With these software defined radio systems, it's a matter of the computer running it having fast enough CPU and RAM to run newer standards; in the T-Mo forum they said equipment within the last 2-3 years they expected to be able to software upgrade to 5G with DSS. I'd guess a lot of the band 13 equpiment is too old, a fair amount of the AWS etc. LTE equipment might be new enough.

Feedback Score
    I wonder what happens in congestion cases. Will 5G have priority of getting those time slots from LTE? Or the other way around?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    I wonder what happens in congestion cases. Will 5G have priority of getting those time slots from LTE? Or the other way around?
    I have zero doubt 5G will get priority. Especially if sub 6 GHz 5G gets the same no deprioritization limits or caps as mmwave.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Within a year and a half almost all phones will support sub 6, mmwave 5G and DSS. It'll even be in 600 series qualcomm cpus plus Mediatek has their own lower cost 5G SOC due to be released.

DSS can shift spectrum use every 1 millisecond and the heaviest users will likely opt into these newest phones so hopefully in the interim its not noticeable to users who stick with their current phones a long time. And hopefully it works as intended because we all know new tech has growing pains.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I have zero doubt 5G will get priority. Especially if sub 6 GHz 5G gets the same no deprioritization limits or caps as mmwave.
    My guess is they get equal priority; your device gets it's share of resource blocks, if it's a 5G device it get the 20-100% better speeds out of it's resource blocks.

Of course, it's true, if carriers come out with 5G plans with no deprioritization, without limiting that to mmwave 5G or non-DSS 5G, in practice you could have all this non-deprioritized 5G usage squeezing out the deprioritized 4G users pretty badly. Hmm...
    Also, phones that are rooted can utilize the Network Signal Guru app which provides more in depth network info.
    My BlackBerry Keyone is not rootable But I just wanted to second this app. I had it on my previous phone, it communicates directly with the qualcomm radio chip to get ridiculous amounts of information on 7 or 8 screens, carrier agg info, MIMO and QAM mode for each channel used in CA, number of resource blocks, neighbor lists, various cell site and handoff type info, neighbor lists, etc.
    Last edited by hwertz; 12-04-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Feedback Score
    Within a year and a half almost all phones will support sub 6, mmwave 5G and DSS. It'll even be in 600 series qualcomm cpus plus Mediatek has their own lower cost 5G SOC due to be released.

DSS can shift spectrum use every 1 millisecond and the heaviest users will likely opt into these newest phones so hopefully in the interim its not noticeable to users who stick with their current phones a long time. And hopefully it works as intended because we all know new tech has growing pains.
    Well Qualcomm just announced bother the 865 and the 765. While the 865 doesn't have an intergrade 5G modem phone makers can't buy the 865 without getting the X55 5G modem. So every flagship net year should be 5G capable. The 765 does have an integrated 5G modem which means mid tier phones can also have 5G. 600 series having 5G modems are probably a year away.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Once the 600 series has 5G we'll see 5G phones in the $200-$300 range. That'll mean pretty rapid adoption.

https://www.androidcentral.com/qualc...-5g-modem-2020

Qualcomm rolled out its first 5G modem this year, and the chip vendor is now aiming to bring 5G connectivity to the mid-range category. Qualcomm has announced that its Snapdragon 600 and 700 series chipsets in 2020 will feature an integrated 5G modem, significantly lowering the barrier for 5G adoption...........................................

Feedback Score
    Once the 600 series has 5G we'll see 5G phones in the $200-$300 range. That'll mean pretty rapid adoption.

https://www.androidcentral.com/qualc...-5g-modem-2020
    Most of the phones in the sub $300 range use the 400 series. As I said they announced just the 865 and the 765. Hopefully there is 685 5G or whatever in 2020. I hope the Pixel 4a will use the 765. When the 400 series gets 5G then you can transition spectrum from 4G to 5G much faster than transition 3G spectrum to 4G.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Most of the phones in the sub $300 range use the 400 series. As I said they announced just the 865 and the 765. Hopefully there is 685 5G or whatever in 2020. I hope the Pixel 4a will use the 765. When the 400 series gets 5G then you can transition spectrum from 4G to 5G much faster than transition 3G spectrum to 4G.
    Motorola retailed the G7 Power for $250 and I've seen it below $200. That uses the 632.

The US market is kind of screwed on mid and low level phones. I see much better deals hardware spec wise per dollar in Asia, South America and even Canada - mostly AT&T band compatible. Samsungs not sold in the US, Xiaomi, Vivo, Oppo etc. OnePlus should sell a mid level phone I'm betting they'd clean up.

Feedback Score
    Motorola retailed the G7 Power for $250 and I've seen it below $200. That uses the 632.

The US market is kind of screwed on mid and low level phones. I see much better deals hardware spec wise per dollar in Asia, South America and even Canada - mostly AT&T band compatible. Samsungs not sold in the US, Xiaomi, Vivo, Oppo etc. OnePlus should sell a mid level phone I'm betting they'd clean up.
    That's Motorola. Look at the low end Samsungs and LGs etc and even Motos like the e6 uses SD 400 series CPUs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast