Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: XM Sim Swap Question

Feedback Score

XM Sim Swap Question

Is it possible to take the sim from a Moto E5 play that's currently activated on XM and put that sim in a used Iphone 7 (that was previously on Verizon) and have the Iphone work on XM?

Not sure if this is possible so I want to ask the question before I attempt it.

Thanks,

-Guru

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ListedGuru View Post
    Is it possible to take the sim from a Moto E5 play that's currently activated on XM and put that sim in a used Iphone 7 (that was previously on Verizon) and have the Iphone work on XM?

Not sure if this is possible so I want to ask the question before I attempt it.

Thanks,

-Guru
    I'm assuming "XM" is Xfinity Mobile?

I moved the SIM from my Xfinity-provided LG XCharge phone to a direct-from-Motorola Moto G4 (compatible with Verizon but has never been activated on Verizon or any MVNO) several months ago and it's worked flawlessly since. I don't see any problem with your plan.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    Will the sim fit? If so it should be no problem.

Feedback Score
    I think the sim will fit but I'm just unsure if it matters swapping it from an android phone into an iphone? I wonder if the iphone would work properly?

-Guru

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think the sim will fit but I'm just unsure if it matters swapping it from an android phone into an iphone? I wonder if the iphone would work properly?

-Guru
    It should work but make sure that after SIM swap your voicemail works properly. Xfinity Mobile uses iOS's built-in voicemail as opposed to the app in Android. If it doesn't work, you'll need to call in or go to a store and have them reprovision the SIM card to be used on the iPhone -- so that that the voicemail is set up correctly.

Feedback Score
    Just bumping this thread as I have a few other questions:

I want to take the sim from my daughter's moto e5 play that's currently on XM (nano sim) and put in a used Iphone 7 that was previously on Verizion. I'm going to be getting the phone later today.

I know voicemail might be an issue but will voLTE and data work?

What about XM hotspots? Will those work on the Iphone 7 after the sim swap?

Basically I'm wondering what (if any) features might not work on the Iphone 7 after swapping the sim into it from the moto e5 play.

Also I have no idea if the Iphone which was on Verizon is unlocked or not (or if that matter's at all).

Sorry for all the questions.

-Guru

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

-Guru
    The SIM card used in a current iPhone is not physically different than any current phone unless one is a micro SIM and the other phone uses a nano SIM
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    The SIM card used in a current iPhone is not physically different than any current phone unless one is a micro SIM and the other phone uses a nano SIM
    Looks like both phone use nano sims so that should work out.

I guess I'll have to pop the sim in and see what (if any) features don't work on the Iphone 7.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Looks like both phone use nano sims so that should work out.

I guess I'll have to pop the sim in and see what (if any) features don't work on the Iphone 7.
    You might need to call XM customer service to have the phone reprovisioned as an iPhone. From what I recall, the big thing to check is voicemail since the iPhone's on XM use Apple's Voicemail, where as on Android they typically use the XM voicemail app.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    You might need to call XM customer service to have the phone reprovisioned as an iPhone. From what I recall, the big thing to check is voicemail since the iPhone's on XM use Apple's Voicemail, where as on Android they typically use the XM voicemail app.
    Is it ok to call XM to have the phone reprovisioned if need be? I remember reading that sim swapping is sort of a gray area? Hopefully the hot spot stuff works after the swap.

Feedback Score
    Does the xm phone I want to swap the sim from need to be unlocked? I want to swap the sim from a xm purchased Moto e5 play into a verizon Iphone 7. Need to know if I have to unlock the Moto e5 play first?

Thanks,

-Guru

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    To swap the sim the Moto doesn’t need to be unlocked, but the iPhone does. However, if XM will unlock the Moto for you before the swap, all the better if you decide to sell it later. Unlocked phones are always more desirable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipy View Post
    To swap the sim the Moto doesn’t need to be unlocked, but the iPhone does. However, if XM will unlock the Moto for you before the swap, all the better if you decide to sell it later. Unlocked phones are always more desirable.
    How can I easily find out if the Iphone 7 I have is unlocked? It is a verizon iphone. I thought I read somewhere online that the vast majority of Verizon iphones are unlocked already?

Also when I do the sim swap I assume the moto e5 will still show up in my account even though I'd be using the Iphone 7? Is this a problem or is this ok? Will the correct amount of data used still be logged for the Iphone?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    For a minimum of 3-4 years (maybe longer), Verizon has not locked it's phones. However, after June or July 2019 they started to lock newly sold phones. The iPhone 7 from Verizon should be unlocked already.

Feedback Score
    Is it ok to call XM to have the phone reprovisioned if need be? I remember reading that sim swapping is sort of a gray area? Hopefully the hot spot stuff works after the swap.
    The only gray area in sim swapping is whether your provider auto updates the imei/sim pairing or if you need to ask them to change it. Making sure it's changed releases the old phone from showing as in use, so you can sell it or reactivate it elsewhere. Calling them to re provision is no problem, just tell them you got a new phone. If they change the pairing in their system, no big deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast